Do you think was a good idea to move the final 4/final to Fri/Sun over Sun/Tues? | The Boneyard

Do you think was a good idea to move the final 4/final to Fri/Sun over Sun/Tues?

Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of posts about the short rest and how it might affect the teams who played Monday, that means they basically have 3 days to prepare where as the other teams got 4. Now in the past it has worked for Uconn's favor, but I also wondered was it a good idea to move the final 4/final to Friday and Sunday? I feel like the window is small from the elite 8 to the final 4, where before you would get more time and more practice. Also isn't it ironic that Uconn has not win the title since 2016? Which was the last time they played the final on Tuesday.

Reaction Score
Short answer to your question: Absolutely. It's a shame that a couple of teams get to the FF with fewer days off. But that disadvantage is far outweighed by the advantage of having two games in what you might call weekend time. It's just another step in treating the women as well as they treat the men. More needed, but it's one step....

Reaction Score
I've seen a lot of posts about the short rest and how it might affect the teams who played Monday, that means they basically have 3 days to prepare where as the other teams got 4. Now in the past it has worked for Uconn's favor, but I also wondered was it a good idea to move the final 4/final to Friday and Sunday? I feel like the window is small from the elite 8 to the final 4, where before you would get more time and more practice. Also isn't it ironic that Uconn has not win the title since 2016? Which was the last time they played the final on Tuesday.
Good question raised but I like the newer format. I think we get more viewers for the Finals. After the men's final, the women were more of an afterthought. I think the numbers this year will be revelatory and interesting. I also think that there is another phenomenon taking place. There is I believe an increase in betting on the women's games. To some this may be abhorrent, but it is a fact and here to stay. I also believe it will help grow the popularity of the game because more casual fans will start paying attention.

Reaction Score
Good question raised but I like the newer format. I think we get more viewers for the Finals. After the men's final, the women were more of an afterthought. I think the numbers this year will be revelatory and interesting. I also think that there is another phenomenon taking place. There is I believe an increase in betting on the women's games. To some this may be abhorrent, but it is a fact and here to stay. I also believe it will help grow the popularity of the game because more casual fans will start paying attention.
Anything to increase attention is good in several ways. One, less obvious, impact should be that the refs need to be more "on their game" and less biased in the semifinals. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have worked out that way yet. In fact, it seems to be the opposite. What happened to us in 2018 was criminal.

Reaction Score
Vegas took a pounding if you bet the underdogs and spreads.

Seton Hall +7.5 and won outright with the ml +350
Ucla was so close to doing the same. +6.5 covered, but ml +225 falls short.

Reaction Score
Short answer to your question: Absolutely. It's a shame that a couple of teams get to the FF with fewer days off. But that disadvantage is far outweighed by the advantage of having two games in what you might call weekend time. It's just another step in treating the women as well as they treat the men. More needed, but it's one step....
I agree. Pre-COVID I used to go every year. Fri/Sun much easier for travel. They can adjust on the front end to give the athletes more recovery time. JMHO

Reaction Score
Yes. I've always felt the men's Monday national championship game was weird anyhow, but making the silly decision to stagger them with the women and put the women's final on Tuesday was idiotic.

Not only is Friday / Sunday better than Sunday / Tuesday, its also better than the men's Saturday / Monday setup.

Reaction Score
I wonder if they could push the preliminary games to earlier days? Anybody know what the time gap is when they go to two regionals? Just occurred to me that will mean there wont be a "regional champion" since two teams will advance...

Reaction Score
After Geno's criticism of the new format I've changed my mind. He is right. Since two of the women's E8 games are on a Sunday, they have a real disadvantage in playing Friday in the FF at some distant site. Personally, I think all 4 semifinals games (men and women) should be on Saturday starting at 2:00 pm and the finals should be Monday at 7:00 and 9:30 pm. and they all should be in the same place. It's one sport after all, and the women have proven that their games can be absurdly exciting. Hey NCAA, you really believe in gender equity above the Almighty dollar, have the guts to show it by your actions.

Listen, as UCONN fans we are all probably biased, but the game against NC St. is right up there as one of the greatest NCAA games ever. Find me a high school or even a middle school girl baller who doesn't know who Paige and Azzi are. Geno is right, locker rooms are a small item, although important in their own right, compared to the big picture here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom