Do you like UConn and another team in CT? | The Boneyard

Do you like UConn and another team in CT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many people in the state of Connecticut like myself have been UConn men's basketball fans since we were kids, but now also like another school that maybe you attended like Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Hartford, Sacred Heart... the list goes on and on. My podcast tells the story of how UConn's dominance and overshadowing in the state is slowly shrinking, and how the Connecticut 6 Classic plays a role in this. Check it out!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Mrs pepband is an alumna of Fairfield. I would love them to make the tournament!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Mrs pepband is an alumna of Fairfield. I would love them to make the tournament!

i root for the stags a bit being a prep alum. many many friends are alums...

Reaction Score
Many people in the state of Connecticut like myself have been UConn men's basketball fans since we were kids, but now also like another school that maybe you attended like Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Hartford, Sacred Heart... the list goes on and on. My podcast tells the story of how UConn's dominance and overshadowing in the state is slowly shrinking, and how the Connecticut 6 Classic plays a role in this. Check it out!

For those of us who didn't attend any of the schools you mentioned.... UConn's dominance isn't shrinking at all. I've never once heard someone talking about going attending a game at any of those schools.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
My gf goes to Sacred Heart but doesn't give a crap about their teams other than giving an obligatory "go pioneers" if I tell her they're playing. She cheers for UConn because I cheer for UConn.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of the Trinity College Bantams (fear the chicken) since my daughter went there. They have great athletics...the baseball team won the D3 national championship a few years ago, girls lacrosse won the national championship last year, football team was undefeated in the NESCAC this year --and of course they've got a sick squash team (who finally lost a match last year!).
bantam_color.jpg

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You didn't even mention hockey, they're a top 10 d3 hockey team!

Reaction Score
UHart women's team because Jen coaches there and one of my CYO assistants has a niece on the team.

U

UCONNfan1

Yeah - for me it's the UCONN men's team and the UCONN women's team. Sure I root for all the CT teams, but I don't follow anyone not named UCONN...

Reaction Score
I keep an eye on Quinnipiac, they play about 10 minutes from my house, have not gone to any games yet, but probably will in the near future.

Reaction Score
The significant other is a graduate of WasteCann, but the other team I follow besides UConn has to be Yale.

Reaction Score
Fairfield Prep and UConn graduate. Couldn't care for Fairfield University but do somewhat follow Fairfield Prep. Also do somewhat follow Yale.

Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of the Trinity College Bantams (fear the chicken) since my daughter went there. They have great athletics...the baseball team won the D3 national championship a few years ago, girls lacrosse won the national championship last year, football team was undefeated in the NESCAC this year --and of course they've got a sick squash team (who finally lost a match last year!).
View attachment 1739
I'm a Trinity alum myself. Never heard of squash until I went there--it's an institution there: D1. Everything else is fun, but I only care about UConn really.

Reaction Score

The Maloney Spartans!!!!

Reaction Score
I'm the opposite. I grew up in Poughkeepsie, NY, cheering for the MAAC's Marist College Red Foxes, then I attended UConn (and still do!)

I still cheer for both. When the two women's teams play eachother next week, I'll be rooting for the Huskies, but if they have to lose to someone this year, I'd want it to be that game.

Reaction Score
I keep an eye on Quinnipiac, they play about 10 minutes from my house, have not gone to any games yet, but probably will in the near future.
Quinnipiac has arguably the "best building in college sports." Definitely isnt the biggest but I have heard multiple times from people all across the country that QU has a great building. The atmosphere is great too. You definitely need to get to one of their games!

Reaction Score
I'm the opposite. I grew up in Poughkeepsie, NY, cheering for the MAAC's Marist College Red Foxes, then I attended UConn (and still do!)

I still cheer for both. When the two women's teams play eachother next week, I'll be rooting for the Huskies, but if they have to lose to someone this year, I'd want it to be that game.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Sorry if I wasnt clear. I mean if you grew up a UConn fan and then went to another college or university who do you cheer for?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
This is exactly what I was talking about. Sorry if I wasnt clear. I mean if you grew up a UConn fan and then went to another college or university who do you cheer for?
I grew up a UConn fan, never went to UConn, unless you count taking two UConn classes going to UConn, went to Lehigh. Lehigh was really bad when I was there... so it wasn't really worth paying attention to.

If they met in the first round of the NCAA tournament... I'm rooting for UConn. Not even close. Although Lehigh's recent success and their NCAA game against Dook certainly has reinvigorated my interest.

Reaction Score
Went to CCSU. The year I graduated they played Ohio State in the first round while UConn stayed home. That was the only time they had a pretty good team under Howie. Unfortunately Ohio State had a final four team that year so no upset happened.

Sent from my MAXX HD.

Reaction Score
You were clear enough. But I'm the opposite of that. I DIDN'T grow up a UConn fan, I only started rooting for them when I enrolled here. If I grew up a fan of some bigger, more prominent school, like Syracuse (I have family up there, so that selection is deliberate), perhaps it would be slightly harder to root for both. But with Marist being a low mid-major and UConn being a Big East school, I can safely root for Marist to win the MAAC (and do decently in the women's tournament) and know they won't pose a threat to the Huskies. I'd root for the Huskies over the Red Foxes, but I'd be significantly less upset with a UConn loss to Marist than to another school.

Reaction Score
I dont follow any other CT teams besides UConn but if there was ever another situation where another CT school made the NCAA tournament, i would pull a little extra harder for them to win. Unless they were playing UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom