Do you approve of the Pledge of Allegiance at games | The Boneyard

Do you approve of the Pledge of Allegiance at games

Do you approve or disapprove of the Pledge at games?

• Approve

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 44 73.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Not a good set of answers. You should include an ' OK Either Way ' option.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Count me as mostly indefferent but slightly negative after reading through the thread and hearing the various perspectives. No, there is nothing forcing anyone to participate, but yes, there will be social pressure to do so, and, depending on what else may be going on socially/culturally/politically at any given moment, it could create what is at best an unwelcoming environment for some customers and at worst something uglier. So to me, the value added by the practice isn't sufficient to overcome some of the potential negative feeling the practice could spawn.

Additionally, like I implied in the original thread, I think it's symbolically problematic that this is one of the tangible things UConn's interim AD has focused on at chaotic and critical point in college athletics. It's like Congress passing a bill making it National Brie Appreciation Day or something in the midst of a budget crisis. Although doing so may not actually prevent Congress from focusing on the budget, it doesn't send the message that it's focusing on what the country needs Congress to address. Similarly, there's the cynic who will look at this and say, "Gee, UConn may not have a seat at the grownups' table for football and other sports, we need a new practice facility, we need to look at innovative ways to promote our sports and increase attendance, and the Interim AD's big idea is...reciting the Pledge of Allegiance prior sporting events???"

But again, not an issue about which I have a ton of strong feelings.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I agree, I'm more indifferent than anything else. I would be inclined to be more negative if I was going to any games.

Reaction Score
I live across the country and I did not graduate from UConn, so I have no skin in the game either way. But having the pledge of allegiance plus the national anthem seems a bit like trying to prove you're more patriotic than the next guy by doing one more thing. The convention is a patriotic song -- my preference would be America the Beautiful, America, or some other song that actually can be sung, and not the pledge, which (from what I've seen) is most often used to start small, not-sports-related gatherings.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
NO !

I see no purpose to pledge loyalty to the USA before every sporting event.

I'm loyal...no intentions on becoming a traitor. I just want to see the game.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Hey John A. If you read this board, maybe you could have an online poll on the courant

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Hey John A. If you read this board, maybe you could have an online poll on the courant
Probably too hot for the newspaper to handle.

Reaction Score
The more I think about this, the less I like it. Wirechief, I'm with you.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Is patriotism shoved down your throat really patriotism? Or is it simply compliance?

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Yes or no
To be totally blunt, I object to any so-called patriotic prelude to any sporting event. They're sporting events, not patriotic rallies. In fact, I find nothing at all patriotic about over-flying jets, national anthems or pledges of allegiance.

Reaction Score
When patriotism becomes required it is then for all intent and purpose fascism, these sort of antics are the tools of those that seek to control others through coercive means. I have no tolerance for this sort of thing. If Uconn thinks this silliness is a good idea they are sadly mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom