Do we need to switch to zone defense? | The Boneyard

Do we need to switch to zone defense?

Reaction Score
Seems like it is easier to pick up for the less experienced players, helps to cut down on fouls, a little less running around so players can do 35+ minutes. I know Geno seems to hate Zone and loves his switching, but if we are down to six it is all about survival until we get some players back. For MD we may be down to AE, AD, AG, IB, CD, AP. Play a packed in zone and hope they cannot hit 3's and long 2's. If they get hot, nothing we can do about it. Use the week off to rest and hope we get some players back. I am assuming NM is out with concussion protocol, Lou foot will not be ok in 48 hours. So depressing for us as fans, cannot imagine how the players feel watching so many go down. Give them all the support we can. I know the wonderful and gracious lady who used to coach at Notre Dame (I was going to use other language but it would get me flagged for life by Husky Nan) played a zone and it got them through the year they were decimated by injuries and they were down to around 6 players.

Reaction Score
Seems like it is easier to pick up for the less experienced players, helps to cut down on fouls, a little less running around so players can do 35+ minutes. I know Geno seems to hate Zone and loves his switching, but if we are down to six it is all about survival until we get some players back. For MD we may be down to AE, AD, AG, IB, CD, AP. Play a packed in zone and hope they cannot hit 3's and long 2's. If they get hot, nothing we can do about it. Use the week off to rest and hope we get some players back. I am assuming NM is out with concussion protocol, Lou foot will not be ok in 48 hours. So depressing for us as fans, cannot imagine how the players feel watching so many go down. Give them all the support we can. I know the wonderful and gracious lady who used to coach at Notre Dame (I was going to use other language but it would get me flagged for life by Husky Nan) played a zone and it got them through the year they were decimated by injuries and they were down to around 6 players.
I might be mistaken, but I think they did play zone for a possession or two after the fouls started piling up.

Reaction Score
He did that last night at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
They did play zone for at least one trip against Princeton and, as I recall, it worked for them. I agree with the post -- going zone for at least a substantial minority of the minutes would help keep our players rested and eligible. Yes, you leave yourself open to a team getting hot from outside -- but it's a risk worth taking if that's what it takes to keep players on the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN does not need to play more zone defense because with a few exception the man to man defense has been pretty good this year. For starter Aubrey is back and healthy and playing great defense and has become Robin in support of Nika's Batman like defensive efforts. Seldom mentioned this season & mostly due to better health is that Azzi is having an exceptional season defensively and has exponentially improved defense over last season. The interior defense still has issues with size and physicality which is partially due to Dorka being hurt. While AE has demonstrated much better control on the interior defensive , Patterson is still struggling to control her body and Amari has developed a severe allergy to the paint. Going to zone defense will not improve the interior defensive.
It is also a popular myth that playing zone defensive gives you the ability to rest and conserve energy vs playing man to man defense. When executed properly every player in the zone defense moves (rotates) on every pass and shot attempt. Depending on the configuration some of those rotations and challenges are extreme and would require more movement and energy. For example, in a 3 X 2 zone the 2 ( post players usually) are responsible for covering the corner jumper, rarely in a man to man defense do you see post player having to cover corner jumpers. Having post players cover corner jumpers is also partially what takes them out of good rebounding position.

Reaction Score
The defense wasn't the problem against Princeton, in fact it was pretty good even with the subs. Looked to me like the switching was still working (not so much in the prior game against ND).

Reaction Score
UCONN does not need to play more zone defense because with a few exception the man to man defense has been pretty good this year. For starter Aubrey is back and healthy and playing great defense and has become Robin in support of Nika's Batman like defensive efforts. Seldom mentioned this season & mostly due to better health is that Azzi is having an exceptional season defensively and has exponentially improved defense over last season. The interior defense still has issues with size and physicality which is partially due to Dorka being hurt. While AE has demonstrated much better control on the interior defensive , Patterson is still struggling to control her body and Amari has developed a severe allergy to the paint. Going to zone defense will not improve the interior defensive.
It is also a popular myth that playing zone defensive gives you the ability to rest and conserve energy vs playing man to man defense. When executed properly every player in the zone defense moves (rotates) on every pass and shot attempt. Depending on the configuration some of those rotations and challenges are extreme and would require more movement and energy. For example, in a 3 X 2 zone the 2 ( post players usually) are responsible for covering the corner jumper, rarely in a man to man defense do you see post player having to cover corner jumpers. Having post players cover corner jumpers is also partially what takes them out of good rebounding position.
We were badly beaten on the boards and lucky that in the first half P missed a number of easy layups. A zone might have helped defensive rebounding and kept the deep penetration of their guards from happening. We were playing with a number of players that were not fully integrated with team switching and it showed. Another factor was fatigue from a limited bench and the fast pace of play especially in the first half. Showing an occasional zone will also make the other team adjust, we just played on. What's wrong with a different look????

Reaction Score
Ball handling and breaking the press were the main issues with the players out there. im sure that’ll be addressed before Sunday. Teams will use that Princeton press as a blueprint to fluster the current players. And, if you don’t have a reliable ball handler. Well, it could be a very long game on Sunday.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
They have always said that Good Outside Shooting will beat a zone.
I would go with a zone against a team which cannot shoot the 3's.
Use the zone to bottle up the middle.

Reaction Score
We were badly beaten on the boards and lucky that in the first half P missed a number of easy layups. A zone might have helped defensive rebounding and kept the deep penetration of their guards from happening. We were playing with a number of players that were not fully integrated with team switching and it showed. Another factor was fatigue from a limited bench and the fast pace of play especially in the first half. Showing an occasional zone will also make the other team adjust, we just played on. What's wrong with a different look????
You are correct--the rebounding deficiency against Princeton was noticeable; however, a zone defense normally does not help with rebounding, but actually hinders it because you don't have an assigned player to defend and block out and so often offensive rebounds are given up by zone defenses. IMO, it was more lack of focus and hustle mainly on AE and Amari's behalf...

Reaction Score
Geno will have a way to break the other teams press. Keys things will be dont dribble into the corners. Don't dribble the sideline and pick up your dribble right over half court. Pass the ball into taller player who can pass it over the press and get Aubrey streaking down the court for a flying layup!!!!! I forgot we also have coach Paige who is a pretty good point guard to help with the teaching and confidence of whatever guard we have left. You saw Azzi and Paige teach Ines how to dance.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom