Do we have a lifeboat this time? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do we have a lifeboat this time?

Reaction Score
I think the long-term outcome for the ACC is looking like the football side of the Big East pre-split. (UNC & UVa are coveted by the Big Ten; SEC wants Clemson, they'll take FSU and probably NC State and Va. Tech to get into those states; Ga Tech, Miami & even Duke are wild cards who may or may not have a chair when the music stops depending on how many of the Pac-12 schools + Kansas land in the Big Ten/SEC and if Missouri changes teams) UConn can find a home there and an all sports league reuniting with Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, BC; probably Cincy & WVU and adding at least Wake isn't a bad landing spot.
Cincy is going to the B12 already with UCF, BYU, and Houston. Those may be the very last invites ever to the big boy club. Unfortunately their status will only last for as long as it takes for the B1G and $EC to start picking off whatever they want from the P5 carcass.

Reaction Score
I think it needs to be said that AD David Benedict has done a great job positioning us for this inevitably. I assume he knew something like this was on the horizon when he took the job. Then two programs (men’s hoop & football) that needed to be performing well in order to maximize our brand’s value started to tank. He moved decively (and expensively — Kevin Ollie will eventually thank him for the $11 million) to get Hurley. Benedict further solidifies basketball by getting us out of the AAC and into the NBE. He invests in the other non-revenue sports to show we would be an attractive addition for non-football reasons. These investments have already translated to growing success. Yes, Randy 2.0 was a swing and a miss, but as soon as it was apparent it was (for some earlier, but for me and most of us it was the Holy Cross game), Randy decides to retire three days later. Benedict then shows his hand to Mora and lands him. Right now, other than football being behind schedule but showing signs of hope, we could not be positioned better for what is coming soon. I thank Dave Benedict for that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it needs to be said that AD David Benedict has done a great job positioning us for this inevitably. I assume he knew something like this was on the horizon when he took the job. Then two programs (men’s hoop & football) that needed to be performing well in order to maximize our brand’s value started to tank. He moved decively (and expensively — Kevin Ollie will eventually thank him for the $11 million) to get Hurley. Benedict further solidifies basketball by getting us out of the AAC and into the NBE. He invests in the other non-revenue sports to show we would be an attractive addition for non-football reasons. These investments have already translated to growing success. Yes, Randy 2.0 was a swing and a miss, but as soon as it was apparent it was (for some earlier, but for me and most of us it was the Holy Cross game), Randy decides to retire three days later. Benedict then shows his hand to Mora and lands him. Right now, other than football being behind schedule but showing signs of hope, we could not be positioned better for what is coming soon. I thank Dave Benedict for that.

Wait. Did you just say that most of us knew it was a miss after Holy Cross? Are you for real?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Absolutely, and I have regamed the final puzzle pieces.

I now believe ND will be going to the B1G. I believe both the SEC and B1G will go to 20 schools (anything past that won’t make sense financially). The SEC adds UNC, Clemson, Florida State, and Miami. The B1G adds ND, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington.

The ACC replies by adding us, Cincy, WVU, and UCF.

The remaining 16 schools between the Pac-12 and Big 12 merge.

Boom.

Reaction Score

I now believe ND will be going to the B1G. I believe both the SEC and B1G will go to 20 schools (anything past that won’t make sense financially). The SEC adds UNC, Clemson, Florida State, and Miami. The B1G adds ND, Stanford, Oregon, and Washington.

Boom.
I think the B1G wants UNC and UVA. They've coveted those schools for a while, but never had a practical way of prying them out of the ACC. If the ACC starts getting picked apart, no chance the B1G turns down the opportunity to grab them even if they are already at 20 teams.

Reaction Score

Boom.

I think they each go to 24 teams. The G2 will be 48 teams. That just feels like the right number. And they won’t have to play anyone else.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think the B1G wants UNC and UVA. They've coveted those schools for a while, but never had a practical way of prying them out of the ACC. If the ACC starts getting picked apart, no chance the B1G turns down the opportunity to grab them even if they are already at 20 teams.
ESPN owns the SEC and ACC. Easier to move those puzzle pieces.

Reaction Score
Wait. Did you just say that most of us knew it was a miss after Holy Cross? Are you for real?
Ok. Maybe I was late to the party on that. I am a glass half full kind of guy. Going into 2021 I knew the time for allowing sucking was over. After Fresno I said that was horrible but lets see how they look against FCS Holy Cross. After that train wreck I gave up on Randy. I grant many told me, “Its about time.”

Reaction Score
The problem with all these crazy scenarios is that nobody is making a move until they know for sure that there is no seat for them at the SEC/B1G table.

If the ACC GOR holds then none of those schools are available until 2036. Why would anyone make a move to a conference where you would be required to sign a GOR to get in knowing that come 2036 all hell could break loose?

Reaction Score
Based on what I’ve read, so far, our future is no different than it was 1 week ago. I don’t see us in a P2 league. I’m not sure we can get into a P3 version of what’s next. If its 60-68 teams in the next level, we have a chance. If it’s 40-48 I‘m much less confIdent. What pi$$es me off is that we are better than 24-48. We need Mora to knock it out of the park, but that may not be enough.

Reaction Score
ACC needs to show they have some balki. Grab the best of B12 (and us) now or the die a slow painful death.

Reaction Score
Cincy is going to the B12 already with UCF, BYU, and Houston. Those may be the very last invites ever to the big boy club. Unfortunately their status will only last for as long as it takes for the B1G and $EC to start picking off whatever they want from the P5 carcass.

I'm skeptical that they'll want to remain in the Big XII as it is constituted after things shake out. The legacy Big XII schools, frankly are likely frustrated they acted so quickly on expansion now with the opportunities from the remnant schools in the Pac-12. I suspect that while the money may not be that much better, they'll take the opportunity to partner with the Pac-12 schools under that umbrella and shake the less desirable schools within the Big XII.

I think the remnant Big XII will look a lot like the AAC circa 2018... which would present a reason that WVU and Cincy would want to leave there for a rump ACC that looked more like the Big East circa 2009

Reaction Score
I thought we, very recently, changed conference!! We are not even a P5 candidate in MBB-- when was the last time we advanced beyond the first game? Yet, we keep saying that these P5 conf are going to see our worth and swoop in. One person here went as far as linking us with CLEMSON as a possible pair for the B10. Interesting equation.
We have been diminished in the last few years, but anymore more so than Syracuse, BC or Rutgers? Obviously those schools weren't added to the ACC or Big 10 because of any athletic prowess. All I hope for is some shake -up as all on the outside looking in do!

Reaction Score
I thought we, very recently, changed conference!! We are not even a P5 candidate in MBB-- when was the last time we advanced beyond the first game? Yet, we keep saying that these P5 conf are going to see our worth and swoop in. One person here went as far as linking us with CLEMSON as a possible pair for the B10. Interesting equation.

I said Clemson because what I heard and read is that the ACC might be raided by the B1G. The B12 now would like to add USF to capture the Tampa Orlando area (the fastest growing part of Florida) and the ACC is looking at USF to block it.

I am glad we bailed on the AAC as I believe if USF leaves it would be a league of unimportant schools. Tulsa, Tulane ho him...

Reaction Score
The “Big Boy Club” just changed from the P5 to the P2 and it will become more clear with the next moves to the P2. How many relevant football schools are outside the P2 right now? Maybe 5 or 6 and that will change soon. If you are in the ACC, PAC 12, or Big 12 right now, you are either looking to join the P2, hoping a new conference can become a P3, or you are resigned to playing in a conference that is next level down.

Reaction Score

Boom.
This could happen, but it's not happening overnight. We need to have a 5 year plan moving forward to position ourselves. That starts with winning football and some more Final Fours in hoops for men and women. I don't see just 2 major conferences that shut out the others for some time, if ever. NIL still has a say in where kids sign up, as well as coaching, winning, location, and yes academics. Fans are caught up in the moment as usual. But most of these moves take time, a lot of work and a lot of legal preparation to complete. Don't expect it all overnight.

Reaction Score

The difference between the Big Ten and Big 12 is that the geographical distance involves bigger programs in the Big Ten. Outside of Texas and Oklahoma, WVU played teams no one cares about nationally. The Big Ten will have for more national interest games with their expansion.

Reaction Score
I doubt that UConn will have any chair at the table after the last few realignment periods yielded us squat....

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This will be felt around the country as the buzz wears off. Longterm this is all really bad for college sports and people will start to tune out.

Of all the Big East teams to take a jab at, of course the guy picked UConn, lol.

Reaction Score
I think that what could very well shake out from all of the football realignment is a brand new basketball centric conference built from the best basketball schools from among the leftovers. This would be the best case scenario for UConn. Here’s a list of past national champions who could be the core members of such a new conference:

Duke
Kansas
Louisville
UConn
Syracuse
Baylor

Reaction Score
I think that what could very well shake out from all of the football realignment is a brand new basketball centric conference built from the best basketball schools from among the leftovers. This would be the best case scenario for UConn. Here’s a list of past national champions who could be the core members of such a new conference:

Duke
Kansas
Louisville
UConn
Syracuse
Baylor
If this happens put me on the clock

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics