Do we have a lifeboat this time? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Do we have a lifeboat this time?

Reaction Score
I think that what could very well shake out from all of the football realignment is a brand new basketball centric conference built from the best basketball schools from among the leftovers. This would be the best case scenario for UConn. Here’s a list of past national champions who could be the core members of such a new conference:

Duke
Kansas
Louisville
UConn
Syracuse
Baylor
Duke and Kansas will have spots at the big boys table. Those brands will not get left behind.

Reaction Score
What I'm hoping for is DB on the phone to the B1G and see if we and Clemson could be invited... I think the BIG12 and the ACC will be the ones getting raided.

I think our lifeboat is our basketball teams, yes I know this is about FB, but any P5 conference would love our BB teams.

Just my thoughts, someone here thinks that USF might join the BIG 12, so they (B12) can get the Tampa Orlando market. The guy said ACC might pick up USF to keep Florida...

Interesting times we are in...
The P5 love our basketball teams so much?? So that’s why we’re in the BE and on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
Duke and Kansas will have spots at the big boys table. Those brands will not get left behind.

The big boys table includes only the B1G and the SEC at this point. According to the Wall Street Journal, Kansas isn’t even in the top dozen football revenue producers among schools not already in those 2 conferences. Duke is so far behind Kansas that they’re not even in the conversation.

This current realignment is all about dollars - football dollars, in particular. Kansas and Duke don’t have football brands.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, it kind of bothers me that our best case scenario, hitting the jackpot as it were, is our moving to a conference because it needs to backfill since it’s most valuable properties eft it for somewhere more lucrative. There is no reasonable path for us to sit at the big boy table, but maybe we get to sit with the middle school kids.

Reaction Score
So, it kind of bothers me that our best case scenario, hitting the jackpot as it were, is our moving to a conference because it needs to backfill since it’s most valuable properties eft it for somewhere more lucrative. There is no reasonable path for us to sit at the big boy table, but maybe we get to sit with the middle school kids.
Think of it as a rebuild -- given the awful history of Coach PP and Diaco and Edsall II. If UConn gets a spot in the ACC, we can continue to improve in men's BB and FB, -- go to bowl games and get back to Final Four -- and work on improving research volume, we may qualify for AAU in about a decade. Then, maybe we get an invite to B10. Right now, there are just too many teams that offer the B10 much more than UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Think of it as a rebuild -- given the awful history of Coach PP and Diaco and Edsall II. If UConn gets a spot in the ACC, we can continue to improve in men's BB and FB, -- go to bowl games and get back to Final Four -- and work on improving research volume, we may qualify for AAU in about a decade. Then, maybe we get an invite to B10. Right now, there are just too many teams that offer the B10 much more than UConn.
I don’t see the math working there.

Reaction Score
The next dominoes to fall probably won’t occur until the early 2030’s when the ACC’s GOR will be easier for teams to buy their way out of. This should give UConn about 8-10 years to improve football enough to have a shot at spot in the ACC once more teams are poached for the SEC/B1G.

Reaction Score
If the ACC and Pac-12 (whatever is left of it) work out some kind of agreement, not necessarily a merger, but even putting their games on the other's channels. the ACC GOR may be lifted because the old agreement becomes void. The new agreement would have to be approved by the members. While the GOR is lifted, Clemson, Florida State, Miami and other colleges who want to bolt to the SEC or elsewhere may be given the chance to do it without a GOR in place.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The next dominoes to fall probably won’t occur until the early 2030’s when the ACC’s GOR will be easier for teams to buy their way out of. This should give UConn about 8-10 years to improve football enough to have a shot at spot in the ACC once more teams are poached for the SEC/B1G.
Agree. The movement this time around has to do with the Pac-12.

Reaction Score
I kinda think it will be sooner than that. At the very most, two years. ND will know better what to do and can escape the ACC by then knowing with certainty what the B1G can and cannot offer them vs. what they have now. Once ND makes their decision the dominoes will start to fall in rapid succession. It could even be in a month.

Reaction Score
UConn just needs to win football games. The rest will take care of itself. Who knows how this will all shake out? But without some W's, UConn has nothing of value to bring to the table.

Unfortunately, ten years ago, when we always had over 35k in our stadium for home games, it was reasonable to think that other aspects of UConn could overcome our football. Now that we get 5k in the stadium, not so much.

It will take wins to have a chance to increase attendance. But without attendance rebounding to where it once was, I don't see us as being in any conversation other than filling in to a depleted ACC. (To quote Seinfield, "not that there's anything wrong with that.")

Reaction Score
I said Clemson because what I heard and read is that the ACC might be raided by the B1G. The B12 now would like to add USF to capture the Tampa Orlando area (the fastest growing part of Florida) and the ACC is looking at USF to block it.

I am glad we bailed on the AAC as I believe if USF leaves it would be a league of unimportant schools. Tulsa, Tulane ho him...
UCF is in the Big 12 and is in Orlando and is has a much bigger alumni and school population than USF. The Big 12 already has the Tampa Orlando market.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom