Do we have a game plan for other teams at any given night? | The Boneyard

Do we have a game plan for other teams at any given night?

Reaction Score
Honest question:

The other teams such as X, Providence, Marquette, their coaching staff scouted and stepped on the court with game plan.

Do we have this such as defense scheme, defense assignments, offense scheme &strategies based on opponents weakness? I’m not sure because all the signs is we don’t have game plan targeted at opponents on each given night. An example, game against St. John’s , a horrible shooting team, did our team including coaches know we need to stop penetration going in?

Once in the game, at this point I would not trust Dan in game adjustments, but I really would like him to spend more time preparing the specific game plan rather than preaching and running his rigorous practice…

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Honest question:

The other teams such as X, Providence, Marquette, their coaching staff scouted and stepped on the court with game plan.

Do we have this? I’m not sure because all the signs is we don’t have game plan targeted at opponents on each given night. An example, game against St. John’s , a horrible shooting team, did our team including coaches know we need to stop penetration going in?

Once in the game, at this point I would not trust Dan in game adjustments, but I really would like him to spend more time preparing the specific game plan rather than preaching and running his rigorous practice…
If the players play well they win. If they aren’t playing well or out schemed, Hurley has nothing in the bag to help them out. There is enough data to conclude he can’t handle big time games.

Reaction Score
If the players play well they win. If they aren’t playing well or out schemed, Hurley has nothing in the bag to help them out. There is enough data to conclude he can’t handle big time games.
We could have played a zone in both the SH and St J games. I’m pretty sure the players are not going to decide that on their own.

Reaction Score
Hurley and staff are very prepared but there are liabilities he has no answer for.

Reaction Score
lmao seriously prime example of people seriously thinking they can be coach over Hurley and co.
How did we do when we played zone tonight??? MULTIPLE people on this board have been calling for that for several games now.

Reaction Score
Idk- they had Andre Jackson shoot the first 4 shots of the game today.

I mean really- please go back and watch the first 5 minutes of that game.

Is that preparation???

I ask again- how many interviews did Hurley take this week? It’s no wonder why we came out the way we did.

Reaction Score
No. The coaches actually just play 2 on 2 pickup games and then come out onto the floor and hope for the best

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Idk- they had Andre Jackson shoot the first 4 shots of the game today.

I mean really- please go back and watch the first 5 minutes of that game.

Is that preparation???

I ask again- how many interviews did Hurley take this week? It’s no wonder why we came out the way we did.

The answer is yes, that’s preparation. There is zero doubt that Andre was told to shoot if they laid off like that. If I was coaching I would’ve coached him to do it too. He missed em.

Reaction Score
You don't watch other teams enough to know when we take away their offensive plays and schemes.

On offense, we had a strategy for what to do if Jackson was given space and had Kunkel on him. Post up. It didn't work. Backup plan was to shoot and make wide open 3s. That didn't work either. So we benched him. Third option of using him to screen for Hawkins worked in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
The answer is yes, that’s preparation. There is zero doubt that Andre was told to shoot if they laid off like that. If I was coaching I would’ve coached him to do it too. He missed em.
But he realistically shouldn’t be taking them. He’s a very bad shooter. If they give him 10 feet of space he shoot get going downhill and make the defense make a play. It’s evident that he can’t be shooting this much.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
To the people hating on Hurley...you have no clue. Jackson is a 31% 3p shooter. He was WIDE open. He has to take at least a few of those. If he takes 7 of those he's making 2 normally. Having the guy guarding Jackson in the paint clogged things for Adama and threw off the offensive rhythm. Also, Newton was aggressive and driving in the first half. This was new...another adjustment!
In the second half Hurley had them press and then play in 2 different zones schemes. This was new and really threw Xavier off. I loved those adjustments. Andre stopped shooting and Newton and Hawkins got into the lane which I've been screaming for for awhile now.

The difference in this game was a few misses by Jackson, a ton of random lucky bounces Xaviers way (long rebounds and a deflection that went right to Nunge under the hoop).

Xavier is tough because everyone on the team can score. I thought the 2nd half showed a lot. If they keep that recipe they'll win a lot more games.

Reaction Score
Simply
Honest question:

Do we have this such as defense scheme, defense assignments, offense scheme &strategies based on opponents weakness? I’m not sure because all the signs is we don’t have game plan targeted at opponents on each given night. An example, game against St. John’s , a horrible shooting team, did our team including coaches know we need to stop penetration going in?

Simply put, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Reaction Score
But isn’t that exactly what Miller wanted Jackson to do, it’s why they won both games, they’re 6 1/2 games ahead of us and they’re gonna get a first round bye in the NBE tournament and will be ranked Monday and we won’t be any of those things. Keep making excuses, just like the end of Seton Hall. Our 7’2 center is on the bench for the last shot and either he gets the rebound or blocks or alters the final shot but I guess we’ll never know now will we. What’s are record in game’s decided by 3 points or less with Hurley? I don’t know the exact numbers but it’s pretty bad. So you would’ve lost the game too if you were the coach is all your post proved and Miller wins cause that’s what he’s paid to do.

Reaction Score
, people need to lay off koolaid and before you lodge your juvenile accusations and sarcasms, and turn every post into pro- or anti- Hurley posts, try to read the posts and contribute.

All the cupcake games in early season, we just wreck them with the disparity of talents, not the game plan.

In PK games, I did not see it either but we were less known by opponents, plus a few surprises by Joey and DC, ergo surprised wins.

We all know how we performed once BE games started. We were exposed and exploited and we did not have counter moves and we still don’t. That’s a pattern.

Going into home game against Xavier, I don’t think green light Jackson shots should never be part of game plan, that’s a crapshoot we know it.

My argument is that if we did have a plan, that’s even more alarming because what we had did not work. Also I don’t think it’s players and I think the talent level of this team is at least comparable if not more, than any other teams in BE. Then its likely that we could also suck at execution.

Nonetheless we are not in good place.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
No. The coaches actually just play 2 on 2 pickup games and then come out onto the floor and hope for the best
OK. I'm game. What exactly is your opinion of what the game plan was last night? And if you present that did you think "the plan" adequately addressed our personnel vs theirs's in terms of the reasonableness of the plan?

Reaction Score
There seriously has been two changes the entire year.
1. Stop feeding the ball to Sanogo, which can be good, but now we just took out our 2nd best scoring option
2. Press and zone in second half tonight

Say what you want but it is evident there has only been regression. Throw out W/L, just the effort, consistency and how stagnant they are are huge losses. This team struggles with the idea of creating advantages and instead shrugs its shoulders whenever doing the same thing over and over doesn't lead to success.

Reaction Score
OK. I'm game. What exactly is your opinion of what the game plan was last night? And if you present that did you think "the plan" adequately addressed our personnel vs theirs's in terms of the reasonableness of the plan?
I thought the first half was pretty bad, although we were also just missing a ton of open shots. They were leaving Jackson open from 3, he rightfully took the shots and shot 3 bricks, and then couldn't hit anything at the rim or the dumb floaters either. Hawkins missed 2 open 3's and Calcaterra missed 3 open 3's.

The above didn't work, Hurley called everyone out and they started getting to the rim more. We were 1/10 or 11 from 3 with around 10 minutes to go in the 1st half and then took 3 in the rest of the 1st half, I thought that was a good change when nobody was knocking down shots.

The halftime adjustments were great, we played a bunch of different zone defenses and forced a lot of tough shots and got some turnovers. The ATO plays got us some really good looks, until the final possession where we had no chance of getting a good shot off. There was way more Newton and Hawkins focus on offense instead of posting up Adama and having the ball in Jackson's hands, and it worked, we put up 55 points

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You don't watch other teams enough to know when we take away their offensive plays and schemes.

On offense, we had a strategy for what to do if Jackson was given space and had Kunkel on him. Post up. It didn't work. Backup plan was to shoot and make wide open 3s. That didn't work either. So we benched him. Third option of using him to screen for Hawkins worked in the 2nd half.
He's become our most problematic player on both ends. On offense, using him as a screener helps keep our big in the post, and keeps the ball out of his hands (critical for Newton). He can make passes out of that too, even if he's not a P&R threat.

On defense the 1-3-1 showcased how he can really get in the passing lanes and create issues. In Man, he has somehow become our worst defender. He seems to have a one track mind telling him he must steal the ball or block the shot, where what we really want is "don't let your guy drive by you or take an open shot". That's it. He should be really good at that but can't seem to resist going for the big play.

Reaction Score
He's become our most problematic player on both ends. On offense, using him as a screener helps keep our big in the post, and keeps the ball out of his hands (critical for Newton). He can make passes out of that too, even if he's not a P&R threat.

On defense the 1-3-1 showcased how he can really get in the passing lanes and create issues. In Man, he has somehow become our worst defender. He seems to have a one track mind telling him he must steal the ball or block the shot, where what we really want is "don't let your guy drive by you or take an open shot". That's it. He should be really good at that but can't seem to resist going for the big play.
Couldn't agree with this more. Man to Man D Jackson WAY overhelps, goes for pump fakes and lets his man beat him off the dribble consistently. And it's one thing to fall for pump fakes; Jackson ended up in the 2nd row twice last night trying to obliterate a fake shot and then left us playing 4 on 5 because he went for the hero play. Hurley NEEDS to reign him in; an under control Jackson is way more beneficial to the team than a Jackson that is 50/50 getting a block or giving up a blow by/foul/technical.

Reaction Score
How did we do when we played zone tonight??? MULTIPLE people on this board have been calling for that for several games now.
Xavier is not the type of team you want to play zone against, regardless of how we did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom