Do we have 6 AA's? | The Boneyard

Do we have 6 AA's?

Reaction Score
So it seems.

We have the 3 returning AA's. Then, ...

If CD is not an AA, I don't know what an AA is. I mean, the way she runs the team? The way she is shooting?

If Kia Nurse is not an AA, I don't know what an AA is. I mean the shooting, the defense, the whole package.

If Z is not an AA, I don't know what an AA is. I mean the offensive skill set is amazing, and she improves every game on defense. And she never loses a rebound once she has it. (And wait until her 3 starts falling.)

Thoughts?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If I would guess, I think the AA voting will result in the following groupings

1st team

Katie Lou - One of the best overall and impactful player in the country.
Crystal - Maybe off the wall but her game is so unique and beautiful in the college game. I think she will be at or near the top in A/TO and 3pt %
Gabby - Her TO's are worrisome but the voters will base it on her overall achievement and her elite defense.

2nd team
Azura
Phessa
Kia (or maybe third)

I think Phessa's pts are going to be down and her efficiency percentages are less than last year which will hurt. Azura will eat into her minutes and the minds of the voters.

Azura comes off the bench and that will maybe influence voters and will also be in competition with Aja Wilson

Kia's overall game is just not going to be appreciated at the level it should and will voters will attribute her offense to teams laying off her.

Reaction Score
Before we start counting six AA's, I think we sometimes forget that there are a number of other excellent basketball players on other teams too.............based solely on early efforts, Gabby and Napheesa are not playing up to last year's form..........they'll need to pick it up to even be under consideration again............KLS is the only one of the three to show growth in her game...........Azura's play has improved considerably over the past few games and if that continues only her limited minutes would hold her back statistically........Crystal is certainly playing herself into contention in a crowded field of guards and the same can be said for Kia............now the question is whether they can they consistently maintain that level of play through the rest of the season...........

Reaction Score
I would say if nominating/voting had to happen right now our 3 would be Kia, Crystal, and KLS.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I would put it as 'we have 6 AA worthy players' but as charlieball says, there are a lot of very good 'AA worthy' players across the country and this might be a year where Uconn gets less than three .

Reaction Score
Has there ever been an AA that came off of the bench. I don't recall any of recent memory. (No i haven't done the "googles"). If there isn't any that kind of rules AZ out. On top of there never being more than 2 1st team per school (AP AA). Then there's Kia and Dangerfield. I definitely see Kia making a run at it.

So Collier and KLS gets 1st team nods, Gabby, Kia, Dangerfield 2nd team? Gabby has to step it up if she is going to make any lists this year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
So it seems.

We have the 3 returning AA's. Then, ...

If CD is not an AA, I don't know what an AA is. I mean, the way she runs the team? The way she is shooting?

If Kia Nurse is not an AA, I don't know what an AA is. I mean the shooting, the defense, the whole package.

If Z is not an AA, I don't know what an AA is. I mean the offensive skill set is amazing, and she improves every game on defense. And she never loses a rebound once she has it. (And wait until her 3 starts falling.)

Thoughts?

Talent wise, you have an argument but for practicality purposes, there's no way UCONN is landing more than 3 or 4 on the top 3 teams.

Gabby and Collier haven't been as good as they were a year ago, and wouldn't make a team at this point in time. Lots of season to be played.

Kia Nurse has shot very well, but statistically she's at 15 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists and half a steal per game....might be a stretch to make a team if her shooting numbers cool off. Also worth noting is that KLS has only played a few games too, so Kia's averages will likely be negatively impacted by her reemergence. In the 4 games with KLS, Kia is taking 7.3 shots per game and averaging 11 points per game, while in the 4 without her she's taking 11.3 shots per game and averaging 19.8ppg.

Who will actually make a team at the end of the year? My guess at this point is:
Dangerfield-2nd or 3rd team
KLS-1st team
Stevens or Williams-one or both make 3rd team
Nurse-3rd team or HM

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Has there ever been an AA that came off of the bench. I don't recall any of recent memory. (No i haven't done the "googles"). If there isn't any that kind of rules AZ out. On top of there never being more than 2 1st team per school (AP AA). Then there's Kia and Dangerfield. I definitely see Kia making a run at it.

So Collier and KLS gets 1st team nods, Gabby, Kia, Dangerfield 2nd team? Gabby has to step it up if she is going to make any lists this year.
A'ja Wilson in 2014-15 made 3rd team. Not sure if there have been others.

Reaction Score
Based on the season performances to date, I would think the chances for being voted All American are :

1. KLS
2. Stevens
3. Crystal
4. Pheesa
5. Nurse
6. Gabby

If Gabby has more games with 7 to 10 turnovers, I think she gets removed from AA watch lists. And if she gets removed, maybe that is the spark to bring back 2016-17 beast Gabby.

Reaction Score
I wonder if All American voters ask questions such as "would player X be an All American, if removed from team Y and placed on team Z".

UConn's talented outside shooters and high/low post players allow them to space the floor on offense. Each of UConn's top players benefits from the other 4 players on the floor.

KLS, Azura, Crystal, Pheesa, Kia, and Gabby are not playing on 6 different teams. Do the AA voters look at each nominee's team talent and team RPI/SOS when voting for AA?

Reaction Score
I don't see us getting more than 2 1st team (AP). I think that it may be hard for us to get the 2.

Reaction Score
Unless the Huskies continue to beat the tar out of everyone.
I may be biased but I think that the media has a lot of anti-Uconn sentiment. This always works against the players.
I believe if you have the 5 best players in the country then they should get the recognition.

Reaction Score
Good points. My thinking is not on who gets voted in, but are they playing like AA's. And I think all 6 are. Pheesa will get better and better as the year goes on, as she integrates with Z.
And wait until Megan gets comfortable and confident. But does this mean there lurks no AA talent ( surprises ) anywhere else on the bench?

Reaction Score
KLS is the only 1st team member right now because she’s consistent.

Dangerfield on the 2nd team,

Kia on the 3rd team.

Phessa, Gabby and Z have been inconsistent so far. The next month will only tell, but these three obviously can make any of the 3 AA teams

Reaction Score
A team with 6 AAs should be beating every team by 40 at halftime. Not losing by double digits for much of the game before pulling out a narrow win.

6 AAs?
Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I stated a while back that it shouldn't matter the school just that the player chosen have the best stats and is among the elite at her position!
By the end of this season Gabby, Azura, Pheesa, KLS, Crystal Dangerfield, and Kia will be rated as the top player at their positions across the nation thus qualifying for 1st team AA!
Will they be named either to either the AP or WBCA AA teams? IMHO they should! But I don't have an official vote!
They are far and away the best at their respective positions!

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I may be biased but I think that the media has a lot of anti-Uconn sentiment. This always works against the players.
I believe if you have the 5 best players in the country then they should get the recognition.

UCONN for the last 3 seasons has had at least three All Americans on the top 2 teams. Not saying it isn’t deserved, but there for sure is no anti-UCONN sentiment when it comes to AA and POY awards at the end of the season. The media also covers Connecticut much closer than they do any other team. You’re more likely to see clips of UCONN games on Sportscenter, or be referenced on radio shows than anyone else. The average sports fan knows about Geno and how UCONN dominates the sport but little else. Where do they get that information? The media.

And the voting should be based on which 5 have had the best seasons, not necessarily who are the 5 best players. I think most would agree that Williams can be one of the 5 best players but isn’t having a 1st Team AA season so far.

Reaction Score
I think it’s going to be optics and politics. Optics: It doesn’t look good if Huskies dominates the AA. It will further fuel the UCONN is bad for women’s basketball band wagon. Politics: IMHO, there are haters out there that will point out any statistic that will justify not picking a UCONN player. Missed too many games, team actually played better when she sat, points less than so-and-so. Etc

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As Geno has pointed out on many occasions, there is usually a correlation between a team’s record and representation on AA teams, POY awards and so on. If the Huskies go through the season undefeated, I have no doubt that they will once again dominate these post season AA teams and awards. What is truly interesting this season is that there are 6 deserving Huskies, so there will be considerable suspense as to which Huskies earn what post season honors.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I generally keep more than 6 AA's around the house. Usually a pack full. I also keep AAA's as well. With all the remotes one has to have now days it's really a good idea not to be caught without.
Agree, had some trouble with one of the remotes last night. Almost couldn't get from Netflix back to Cable. Had plenty of AAA's, but not enough AA's. Seems there's never enough AA's. :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom