Do we go find a JUCO QB next year? | The Boneyard

Do we go find a JUCO QB next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I say no. Stick with the who they have. Remember they have had a total of three games under their belts. Not enough to take drastic measures.

Reaction Score
I think it's way too early to say. Nebrich hasn't been given a fair shot yet, imo. I hope we see him get some real PT and if he does, I think he'll be a solid QB.

Reaction Score
Sticking with what we've got never works. If Cochran is better than the three we have now then that could be the answer. A transfer type would be nice as well.

Reaction Score
If "attrition" occurs when the season ends, yes... We have no choice... You gotta have 4 capable kids in camp... or we luck out and get a QB transfer from a top flight BCS school ( from say, USC or Texas or Arkansas or LSU or ND again ... you know the schools that get the 4 and 5 star blue chip outta highschool kids that lose out on the starting job in camp )... I think the best route would be a transfer at this point though... Which is more than likely to happen....

Reaction Score
A BCS transfer would have to sit out next season with the exception of some sort of waiver, right? So that wouldn't really do us any good for awhile.

Reaction Score
I hope PP is at least out looking at JUCO's to see if there any options should it come to be. IMO, if we don't see some improvement in the next 2 weeks under center, then the heat will pick up and we could go that route for the right type of kid. I hope it doesn't come to that, but gotta do what ya gotta do.

Reaction Score
A BCS transfer would have to sit out next season with the exception of some sort of waiver, right? So that wouldn't really do us any good for awhile.

Understood, but you're still building this program for the future... You gotta create more ( or honestly, BETTER ) competition at the position... A quick fix may take 2 years instead of one... especially at the QB position... just sayin....

Reaction Score
I would absolutely go the JUCO route. Even if Cochran is the real deal, as we've seen this year, he won't be ready to step in as a true frosh. A solid JUCO buys time and lets us develop some kind of offense, lets both Nebrich and Cochran get real redshirt years, and worst case, someone ends up a solid backup. I suspect that long term, McCummings ends up in another position. he's too good an athlete not to play, but not good enough a quarterback to be an every day player. Tailback maybe, or reciever.

Reaction Score
Give Nebrich the ball. By the end of Big East slate, we'll be wondering what the hell took the coaches so long to get this kid some real game experience.

You can already tell the kid has three things because we have seen flashes...

1. Presence, he's calm cool collected in the pocket, has very good footwork, no happy feet.
2. Vision: Even when he has missed on throws, he has made the "right" throw. He can see seam routes open up, and he can see the deep in cut. Those are very important
3. Playmaking ability- call it scrambling, call it whatever, but I've seen him grind out several first downs with his legs.

I'll say it again, this kid will be very, very good for us. He is a true freshman who needs to get as many game reps as possible.

Reaction Score
he may well be very good. I've been less impressed, though I see some signs. He doesn't need game experience. he needed a redshirt year. He throws a wobbly ball as someone else said. Don't know if it is catchable or not catchable. I like that he runs well, but I'm a bit concerned that he'll run too much. It takes a lot of discipline to stay in the pocket and throw the football. Not sure he has that yet. But I do think it is getting time to put him out there and see what he can do. We've seen Johnny Mac and know his limitations (and know Edsall didn't "ignore" his great talent).

Reaction Score
I am sure Morehead has "his eyes on the market" for a JUCO. I don't think they'll make a decision on whether or not to bite until the season is over. Frankly, I don't think JUCO QB's move before a season is over as everyone on both side's want the best information on what the chances for playing time are.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'd prefer a juco head coach.

Debbie+Downer.jpg

Reaction Score
I am sure Morehead has "his eyes on the market" for a JUCO. I don't think they'll make a decision on whether or not to bite until the season is over. Frankly, I don't think JUCO QB's move before a season is over as everyone on both side's want the best information on what the chances for playing time are.
Right. this is about who plays quarterback next year. I assume Morehead is looking among the JUCO ranks, too. If they go that route, they'll want someone to arrive in january and be there for spring practice.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is so much FAIL in this thread, I don't know where to start. We have 3 QB's that have played three games in a new system with two losses to teams that will likely play in bowl games. Nebrich has played in three games as a freshman and posters are already writing him off? Think of some of Orlovsky's gruesome performances as a freshman. McEntee is just a placeholder until Nebrich is ready, but he was much, much better against Iowa State than he was against Vanderbilt. We all know that he don't have Peyton Manning on the roster, but I expect to continue to see steady improvement over the season.

Reaction Score
Casey Cochran will come in January, and will work to be in positive Competition with Nebrich. Cochran can throw the ball very, very well, just no speed or ability to roll, extend plays. Behind him hopefully they bring in 6'3", 215 pound Boeing Brown, as red shirt, who is very mobile and has a great arm, capable of accurate check down routes to 60+ yards when needed. He is maturing every week, so I think with Nebrich now, Casey Cochran next year/two years and grooming Boeing Brown the next two years the QB's will be solid...we will need WR's, O-Line, and RB's.....and cannot let up on the solid defensive guys! I hope HCPP and QBC Moorehead offer Boeing soon, before another gets him!

308001_2123422598232_1025875513_31961681_293898123_n.jpg

Boeing Brown, #13 Brookfield, HS...6'3", 215, 4.68/40...stepping up into pocket to pass 9/16/2011 ...kid is solid, good form, trains with CC via Travis Meyer.

Reaction Score
There is so much FAIL in this thread, I don't know where to start. We have 3 QB's that have played three games in a new system with two losses to teams that will likely play in bowl games. Nebrich has played in three games as a freshman and posters are already writing him off? Think of some of Orlovsky's gruesome performances as a freshman. McEntee is just a placeholder until Nebrich is ready, but he was much, much better against Iowa State than he was against Vanderbilt. We all know that he don't have Peyton Manning on the roster, but I expect to continue to see steady improvement over the season.

Nope. From the first three games it is not just fair but prudent to ask if we will have good QB play in 2012. That does not mean anyone has given up on any of the three QBs being good this year, much less next year. But if you're not viewing that as a realistic concern, you're not paying attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom