Do we control our own destiny? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Do we control our own destiny?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The opponent does have a say but part of that is us allowing them that say.

I will state that we will know quite a bit about our BE tournament & NCAA tournament prospects after Saturday night's game at Nova. They are going to try to keep the scoring down by slowing the pace and using quite a bit of the shot clock. When we allow this we normally don't do anywhere near as well as when the game is played at a high tempo yet we don't seem to mind when the opponent slows down on offense and all too often match that pace on offense, taking away a number of our advantages.

I don't think it's coincidental that our recent performances have had our scores in the 80's or higher. We have too much athleticism and depth for most of our opponents to handle but that goes out the window in a walk it up the court, use 25+ seconds per possession type of game. We need to learn how to force the opponent to play at the pace we want, not allow them to bring us down to their pace.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't understand the question as it relates to UConn, TBH. It's normally posed about teams on the bubble or in contention for a final spot in a playoff.

UConn has a 1st round BET bye (so yes), but will not avoid Creighton without some help (so no).

They are a virtual lock for the NCAA Tournament (yes), but will not maximize their seeding unless the 4 teams above them lose (no).

Of course they will play at least two of those teams, provided a Thursday win (yes), but a Thursday loss drops them to a potential 5 or 6 seed vs. a more quality opponent (no).

At the end of the day, the question does not apply to UConn anymore than Marquette, Xavier, PC, or Creighton.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tournament time is also about match ups

I'm probably being pedantic, but that is not how this question normally applies.

Once any tournament's field is set, every team (68 in this case) technically controls their own destiny. All they have to do is win.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Can someone take a stab at these questions. What is our worst case scenario and still get a 3 seed? Can we get a 3 by losing in the BE tourney championship game? And if we win out do we get a 2 seed?

Reaction Score
Can someone take a stab at these questions. What is our worst case scenario and still get a 3 seed? Can we get a 3 by losing in the BE tourney championship game? And if we win out do we get a 2 seed?
My guesses:
Win at Nova and get 1 win at BET =3 or 4 seed (as long as these are Q1 opps)

Win at Nova and lose in BET final = 3 seed.

Win BET= 2 seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
3 point shooting matters a lot. A bad three point shooting game from us or an unconscious one from our opponent can knock us out easily.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Do we control our own destiny? Obviously I believe the answer is yes, and not because everyone still controls their own destiny, that's rather superficial, but because our play can decide any game. We don't need somebody to stink, we don't need a bad game, we don't need luck, we don't even need matchups, we just need to play our" A" game and we can beat anybody. We match up many different ways, that midseason crisis is in the rear view mirror.

Very very few teams can match up the way we can

Enjoy the ride

Reaction Score
I think we need to win @Nova and get to Big East finals to have a chance at a 3 seed. Ideally @nova, prov, marq, lose to creighton. Xavier winning it would give us more competition for seed and I don't want Providence to win it, so Creighton is the pick.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It seems as if the Uconn teams that have won it all have had at least one "unstoppable" player. Regardless of who the team played those players got their points, played their standard or better game. etc.. - Hamilton, Okafor, Kemba, Shabazz. Not sure we have that Alpha on this team. We will definitely cause some serious matchup problems for the opponents come NCAA time. i would bet we are going to be near the bottom of almost everyone's bracket wish list.
We do have the leading scorer in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Even this morning I was looking at the BE standings and national rankings and kept going back to the turd in NJ at Seton Hall.

24-6 and 13-6 in conference just seems light years better than 23-7 and 12-7 even though it's only one game. UConn would probably be in the top ten, a guaranteed 3 seed and an outside chance of a 2 seed.
Yup. And probably a decent chance to get the 3/6 game against seton hall in big east tourney. That seton hall loss was a killer

Reaction Score
I think we need to win @Nova and get to Big East finals to have a chance at a 3 seed. Ideally @nova, prov, marq, lose to creighton. Xavier winning it would give us more competition for seed and I don't want Providence to win it, so Creighton is the pick.
We're playing Creighton first in the Big East tournament.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This team has the talent to go deep in the tournament, however, closing out games, especially close games, is most important in March.
So far the team and the staff have not shown that ability. If by some miracle they turn a switch and they are effective at closing out - watch out. If not I fear disappointment may be the word.
Only way around this issue is blow every other team out - possible but not likely.
It will be interesting for sure
Bring it on!!!!

Reaction Score
We're playing Creighton first in the Big East tournament.
If Providence loses to Seton Hall, we play Providence (assuming Creighton beats Depaul). It's not the most likely outcome, but would be the best for us in that "not winning the BET but want a 3 seed hypothetical."

Reaction Score
We can lose @ Nova and lose in the quarterfinals of the BET and will still be in the tournament

So if this question is literal, yes we control our own destiny lol
If the question is not literal, well....still yes

:confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24