OT: - DMX Hospitalized After Heart Attack | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: DMX Hospitalized After Heart Attack

Reaction Score
I always hated seeing my favorite rappers in movies. I was the one person who simply did not like any of those 90s rapper starring flicks. The only exception is Tupac who was a legit acting talent who couldve really developed into award winning level had he lived.
Some of them were bad but the early 90's had some classics. Boyz n the Hood is one of the greatest movies ever made IMO. New Jack City, Juice, and Poetic Justice were all good.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
XL, I'll happily compared "sheltered" status with you any time you want.
How many years did you live in the hood for? My rent was $300 a month - imagine how palatial and exquisite that place was. For how many years did you work low-wage, physical labor jobs? Can you even speak Spanish? Have you frequented many bodegas? What was your weapon of choice when ish hit the fan? I preferred Snapple bottles - didn’t break easily and they gripped well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some posters here certainly appear to be celebrating his staying "hardcore" to the end, or as we used to say, "keeping it real." Sure, the man had demons, but that doesn't give license to shirking responsibility. If the thread was simply kept to the music, I wouldn't have commented. To me, white people celebrating "keeping it real" is simply another way of saying, "let's keep them in their place."

Yeah Ern, I'm well aware of him. I was more a Public Enemy guy for the music and the message. Have a number of 90s/early 00s hip hop CDs, but admittedly I'm less a beats guy as I prefer melody and melodic hooks. These days if I listen to hip hop/rap it's usually trip-hop or stuff like Theophilus London or Childish Gambino and that ilk of genre-bending artists.

XL, I'll happily compared "sheltered" status with you any time you want.

Champs, why not go into the Prince Philip thread and call people dooshbags for criticizing him for being a useless Royal. The guy was wildly entitled, no doubt, but invested a ton of time and money in charity work.

Common is probably a better actor than rapper, IMO.
Not sure why you're doing this and Common Sense was/is a great rapper.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Damn the great ones die young RIP
And way too often at their own hands. I saw Master P called out the entire rap game because no one stepped in to help. I can see that but at the end of the day X was a 50yo man with demons and they always win out if you don't fight them yourself. He leaves a legend.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
How many years did you live in the hood for? My rent was $300 a month - imagine how palatial and exquisite that place was. For how many years did you work low-wage, physical labor jobs? Can you even speak Spanish? Have you frequented many bodegas? What was your weapon of choice when ish hit the fan? I preferred Snapple bottles - didn’t break easily and they gripped well.
How many years did you live in the hood for? Two. Unlike my older brother, I missed out on growing up in the South End of Stamford as my folks moved the year before I was born. But I can count a roach-infested studio in NY among my post-UConn dwellings.
For how many years did you work low-wage, physical labor jobs? 4 or 5, although I'm back working at low wage these days. My favorite was when I was drove a panel truck for a music tape duplicating company, I had to set the rat traps in the morning and toss out the rats at end of shift.
Can you even speak Spanish? Probably only 10% fluent now, but used to be 75% when I managed a non-English speaking staff in the 90s. Lost my ear for it, but can still read fairly well. Not much use for Spanish in Pittsburgh. But I can still cook pretty much anything you want from any Latin country. I've had abuelas show me some inside secrets.
Have you frequented many bodegas? Still do. Cheaper produce. When I had the panel truck gig, I used to stop in one daily so I could pay the squeegie guys in Manhattan with tall boys. If you're even in Pittsburgh, I highly recommend Las Palmas in Brookline.
What was your weapon of choice when ish hit the fan? Logic and appealing to common sense, sometimes even humor. And connections. Never carried a weapon, ever. I'd have had my ass kicked anyway and having a weapon would've just meant it hurt more. Only got into one significant fight, was KOd and the guys who did it said they found me unconscious from an OD as I had a reputation. That was fun explaining.

OK, you win if your story is true. But I'd hardly call growing up in a one bath Sears bungalow "sheltered". My biggest "privilege" was that my cousin was desk sergeant at the Stamford PD and kept me out of overnight a couple times.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Not too sure his dogs liked him (twice arrested for animal cruelty), his 15 kids with various baby mamas (avoiding child support), or the IRS (tax fraud).
Please feel free to read his bio before you judge him. His early life wasn’t pleasant. After becoming famous, he often went back on Holidays to visit the NYC youth facilities he grew up in. In the 80’s and 90’s that system was the worst in the world. He’s actually a success story given the circumstances.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Don't know his music but remember him in an awful Seagal movie called "Exit Wounds."

Reaction Score
Just found out from a friend DMX lived above a Lincoln Park Chicago bar for a time, he was a big soco lime shot guy. I find this hilarious.

Reaction Score
Rip X. My personal faves where he shined:
“Money, power, respect” Lox /lil Kim
“How’s it goin down”
“What these b—- want” feat. Sisqo
“Life is what u make it” feat. Nas

Reaction Score
I met him at a gas station in white plains when I was wiry GB or an ad firm there. He had just come back from buying an antique car. A bronze colored Cadillac convertible type car. Anyway. I didn’t know it was him until I saw a g try out of younger white kids hudgled around that car. I saw a small guy walk in the store and come out with like 10 disposable cameras. It was X. He gave them out for pics with him in the car and kept rocking that bracelet he had. I shook his hand. Very little guy. 5’5-5’6”. Nice though. Clearly a good hearted man but sad how some shadows are cast so long.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom