DJ Hernandez rumor | The Boneyard

DJ Hernandez rumor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Heard that DJ is back in Connecticut and is interviewing for the Hand of Madison head football coaching position. Don't know enough to even know if position is open. Also find it a little strange, because I had heard his roofing business in Texas was doing real well. Maybe just really wants to get back into coaching.

I wish him the best and it would be nice if this is true. Also with HCRE back at UConn, maybe he gets a chance as an assistant in the future.

Heard this third hand so not sure if or any part of this is true, but thought it was interesting

Reaction Score
Heard that DJ is back in Connecticut and is interviewing for the Hand of Madison head football coaching position. Don't know enough to even know if position is open. Also find it a little strange, because I had heard his roofing business in Texas was doing real well. Maybe just really wants to get back into coaching.

I wish him the best and it would be nice if this is true. Also with HCRE back at UConn, maybe he gets a chance as an assistant in the future.

Heard this third hand so not sure if or any part of this is true, but thought it was interesting

The Hand of Madison head coaching job is vacant. Steve Filipone resigned after 27 years last month. Hand is a storied football program in CT, it would be good for UCONN if DJ got that job. Although it is true they have had a rough couple of years recently.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I was DJ, I'd take a better position -- a HS coach in Texas....It would be a better position, than a HS coach in CT... I mean in Texas HS football in the 3rd most watched... next to college football and spring practice. And besides, Hand won't build a 2.8 million dollar stadium like a Texas town did...

Reaction Score
Everything I've read about Hand football is that they're in a downward spiral. They've had a tough time getting kids out to play football because parents in Madison aren't letting kids play at the youth level.

Reaction Score
I'm from Madison and pretty sure that Filipone wants one of his assistants to take the job. But I heard that a while ago. Don't know if things have changed.

There isn't much talent here any more in Madison. Don't know why he would want the job.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
If I was DJ, I'd take a better position -- a HS coach in Texas....It would be a better position, than a HS coach in CT... I mean in Texas HS football in the 3rd most watched... next to college football and spring practice. And besides, Hand won't build a 2.8 million dollar stadium like a Texas town did...

Actually, the Allen (TX) stadium was $65 million and the McKinney (TX) stadium will be $70 million.

Both are in the northern suburbs of Dallas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

People and situations change but I have a hard time believing that... everything that has been written is that he was done w/ CT (and coaching).

Reaction Score
Highly doubt this rumor. I know a few assistant coaches of hand but haven't spoken to them recently. Might have to give one of them a call who thought he was the frontrunner to take over right after fillipone stepped down.

Also knowing Madison and having grown up there they will hire one of their own not an outsider imo

Reaction Score
Highly doubt this rumor. I know a few assistant coaches of hand but haven't spoken to them recently. Might have to give one of them a call who thought he was the frontrunner to take over right after fillipone stepped down.

Also knowing Madison and having grown up there they will hire one of their own not an outsider imo
thats what i think

Reaction Score
Everything I've read about Hand football is that they're in a downward spiral. They've had a tough time getting kids out to play football because parents in Madison aren't letting kids play at the youth level.

This is happening in lots of places. I know of two high schools nearby here in Missouri where they could only get 3-4 freshmen to even come out for football.

Reaction Score
I cleaned up this thread. If Aaron Rogers were here he'd tell folks to. R. E. L. A. X.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If I was a high schooler in Madison I'd spend football season at the beach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom