Dive! Dive! Dive!) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dive! Dive! Dive!)

Reaction Score
Well it was sarcastic, but it was implied in the post I was responding to.

So first, you need to understand basic sentences before you declare something a strawman
No, it wasn't. That's exactly the point. @navery12 said there are at least 2 ways to successfully coach. You accused him of claiming that every way of coaching is equally good, and then you implied that such a position is stupid (which of course it is). So you claimed your opponent put forward a premise that he didn't, and then you attacked that premise. This is also known as a strawman.

Reaction Score
I'll yell at another cloud and say it falls in to a broader group of not valuing each possession. UConn gets lead in second half. Jackson gets ball and starts dribbling down court out of control. He somewhat regains possession and immediately tries some sort of one-handed toss down the court for a turnover. UConn D's up and gets ball back and, I think it was Gaffney, makes a horrible pass ahead to Hawkins who couldn't handle it.

Two straight possessions playing with the lead where UConn's defense had held WVU and UConn doesn't even get close to running its offense or getting off a shot.

Possessions matter. Possessions when you have a lead and you stop the opponent are great times to put the foot on the throat. This is a point @superjohn has been hammering home. Players and coaches do a very poor job of closing out the game.
Prior to thos 2 possessions Cole tried an alley oop pass to Jackson from half court that sailed over his head. All this happened when we had a 5 point lead and had them on the ropes. Three bonehead plays that shifted the momemtum of the game.

Reaction Score
Attacking an HOF coach?? By pointing out that there are more than one ways to teach without saying anything about which is better?

Okay Karen.

I've asked several times, you've yet to answer.

What did Hurley teach in that
Go back and read the exchange, I asked you a question. Instead of answering it (because you can't) you bring up Jim Calhoun and question my basketball experience.

Are you always this fragile?

Pointing out there is more than one way?

or was it this you said:

Imagine thinking Division 1 basketball players need to be subbed out to be taught that turnovers are bad.

So you did say one way was better than the other. You are full of crap. You are saying that shouldn't even be an option.

Since Jim Calhoun used this approach, which I gave as evidence in my original post that you responded to, how could he not be included in this discussion. Are you really that dense?

Since I am not the one making stuff up and grasping at straws, I would concern yourself with being fragile.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not sure which turnover it was, but the camera showed Hurley burying his head in his hands.

Pretty sure that camera would have showed JC pulling someone's jersey on the bench to get in as a replacement

Lost teaching moments

FBE21350-C4CC-4953-BBF8-A034C95C898C.jpeg

Get the ball! Get …king ball, you mother f…er!!!

Reaction Score
Pointing out there is more than one way?

or was it this you said:

Imagine thinking Division 1 basketball players need to be subbed out to be taught that turnovers are bad.

So you did say one way was better than the other. You are full of crap. You are saying that shouldn't even be an option.

Since Jim Calhoun used this approach, which I gave as evidence in my original post that you responded to, how could he not be included in this discussion. Are you really that dense?

Since I am not the one making stuff up and grasping at straws, I would concern yourself with being fragile.

Grasping at straws =/= strawman. You're still confused.

I was mocking you for implying that's the only way to teach. The joke wasn't for you, and it unsurprisingly went over your head, but saying they "don't need" to be subbed out to be taught turnovers are bad is not the same as saying "it's better to talk to them, than to sub them".

The latter is the strawman you created because your fragile "royal" ego won't allow you to just say "I don't know" and then promptly STFU about it.

So....

What did Hurley say in that "lost teaching moment"?

Reaction Score
Prior to thos 2 possessions Cole tried an alley oop pass to Jackson from half court that sailed over his head. All this happened when we had a 5 point lead and had them on the ropes. Three bonehead plays that shifted the momemtum of the game.
Cole threw a perfect pass to Jackson for the alleyoop that Jackson didn't catch, terrible play by Jackson. UConn got bailed out by a missed layup and then Gaffney was fouled and goaltended at the 10:06 mark where Hurley took Cole out of the game. Huggins gave Hurley a huge break by calling a timeout at 7:43 and Hurley inexplicably didn't put Cole back in the game. With the lead gone Hurley took a timeout at 6:42 and put Cole back in the game.

Watch "West Virginia vs UConn | 2021.12.8 | NCAAB Game" on YouTube

Reaction Score
@king conn

I was wrong, the timeout didn't follow the turnover where Hurley had his heads in his hands.

Go to 1:05:30 in the video.

What happened was down 47-48, Jackson threw the ball away....(Hurley's head in hands)...WVU brought the ball down. Jackson got a steal and went full court for the slam... UConn 49 - WVU 48.

Hopefully you'll not waste this teaching moment and take a seat on the bench.

Reaction Score
No, it wasn't. That's exactly the point. @navery12 said there are at least 2 ways to successfully coach. You accused him of claiming that every way of coaching is equally good, and then you implied that such a position is stupid (which of course it is). So you claimed your opponent put forward a premise that he didn't, and then you attacked that premise. This is also

Grasping at straws =/= strawman. You're still confused.

I was mocking you for implying that's the only way to teach. The joke wasn't for you, and it unsurprisingly went over your head, but saying they "don't need" to be subbed out to be taught turnovers are bad is not the same as saying "it's better to talk to them, than to sub them".

The latter is the strawman you created because your fragile "royal" ego won't allow you to just say "I don't know" and then promptly STFU about it.

So....

What did Hurley say in that "lost teaching moment"?

No, now you will say mocking but you were trying to be a smart ass with the huddle thing and I called you out for it. And that's the last straw you keep reaching for.

And I will say again that my opinion was very clearly no matter what could have been said in that huddle a substitution would work better. And I gave evidence how it worked for a HOF coach, which left you scrambling for strawman labels that you still are trying to use

Hint: just because you say it 20 times doesn't make it true

Reaction Score
No, now you will say mocking but you were trying to be a smart ass with the huddle thing and I called you out for it. And that's the last straw you keep reaching for.

And I will say again that my opinion was very clearly no matter what could have been said in that huddle a substitution would work better. And I gave evidence how it worked for a HOF coach, which left you scrambling for strawman labels that you still are trying to use

Hint: just because you say it 20 times doesn't make it true
A substitution could work better. Might work better. Might not. Depends on the player, coach, and situation.

Hurley didn't sub, and the next sequence resulted in the player you wanted out of the game stealing the ball and getting a fast break dunk to give UConn the lead.

Those are the facts.

Lost teaching moment for you here. Too bad your ego got in the way.

I'm sorry you still don't understand what a strawman is.

Reaction Score
@king conn

I was wrong, the timeout didn't follow the turnover where Hurley had his heads in his hands.

Go to 1:05:30 in the video.

What happened was down 47-48, Jackson threw the ball away....(Hurley's head in hands)...WVU brought the ball down. Jackson got a steal and went full court for the slam... UConn 49 - WVU 48.

Hopefully you'll not waste this teaching moment and take a seat on the bench.

Or call a timeout for your teaching moment before the steal?

Or how about if the substitution method had been used previously and was successful, and the turnover never happened

Reaction Score
A substitution could work better. Might work better. Might not. Depends on the player, coach, and situation.

Hurley didn't sub, and the next sequence resulted in the player you wanted out of the game stealing the ball and getting a fast break dunk to give UConn the lead.

Those are the facts.

Lost teaching moment for you here. Too bad your ego got in the way.

I'm sorry you still don't understand what a strawman is.

Answer this

How many points did we lose off of turnovers to trade for one basket? We can't know that number for sure so we can go to

Or

Would that sequence have happened if we had your teaching time out?

And judging from your posts you have no ego, why else would you throw out this ignorance

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Not sure which turnover it was, but the camera showed Hurley burying his head in his hands.

Pretty sure that camera would have showed JC pulling someone's jersey on the bench to get in as a replacement

Lost teaching moments
It was that possession

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You called it a "lost teaching moment"

I'm saying you have no idea what Hurley taught in those moments. Because well...

You don't.

On the other hand, you are very good at creating strawmen. Not so good at understanding there is more than 1 way to teach.
And you have no idea either. Being that DH hasn’t exhibited any actions King Conn referred to - I’m betting there wasn’t much of a fear factor or teaching moment. Probably a pleading moment

Reaction Score
And you have no idea either. Being that DH hasn’t exhibited any actions King Conn referred to - I’m betting there wasn’t much of a fear factor or teaching moment. Probably a pleading moment
Where did I say I knew what he said?

If you can't quote that statement, don't respond, you're also out of your depth.

Reaction Score
Agree with Chin we don't dive and don't get 50 50 balls. The other teams want it more.. When I was coaching those players would have their asses on the bench next to me.
Unacceptable and Calhoun example is how you win. Hurley has the players to jerk people..

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First half. Loose ball, AJ bends at waist to try and get, Bonnies player dives on the floor. UConn catches a break because Bonnie had foot over end line while on floor, but that was a prime example of opponents wanting it more.

Overall, AJ was great tonight. Rebounding machine and was good transitioning the ball from defensive glass to offense. Kid needs to learn there is more than one gear.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom