Dive! Dive! Dive!) | The Boneyard

Dive! Dive! Dive!)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Spoiler Alert: Old man yelling at clouds.

Why does it seem every loose ball opponents are diving on the ground (we'll ignore travel or no travel) while UConn players are bending over at the hips lunging for it?

It's pure hustle and determination to value the ball and value a possession.

The disparity is especially noticeable against teams who shoot every gap and over play passing lanes creating lots of tips and deflections. Saw similar effort splits against Auburn in Bahamas. Seems like opponents are willing to go after the ball and dive for it whereas UConn just wants to get the ball.

Reaction Score
Spoiler Alert: Old man yelling at clouds.

Why does it seem every loose ball opponents are diving on the ground (we'll ignore travel or no travel) while UConn players are bending over at the hips lunging for it?

It's pure hustle and determination to value the ball and value a possession.

The disparity is especially noticeable against teams who shoot every gap and over play passing lanes creating lots of tips and deflections. Saw similar effort splits against Auburn in Bahamas. Seems like opponents are willing to go after the ball and dive for it whereas UConn just wants to get the ball.
But you’re an old man accurately yelling at clouds at least. I’m an old man confirming your point. Key moment late in the second half… loose ball under our defensive basket and AJax seemingly refused to go to the ground. Cold came flying in and immediately went to the ground but too late. We are losing so many 50/50 balls this season. frustrating.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'll yell at another cloud and say it falls in to a broader group of not valuing each possession. UConn gets lead in second half. Jackson gets ball and starts dribbling down court out of control. He somewhat regains possession and immediately tries some sort of one-handed toss down the court for a turnover. UConn D's up and gets ball back and, I think it was Gaffney, makes a horrible pass ahead to Hawkins who couldn't handle it.

Two straight possessions playing with the lead where UConn's defense had held WVU and UConn doesn't even get close to running its offense or getting off a shot.

Possessions matter. Possessions when you have a lead and you stop the opponent are great times to put the foot on the throat. This is a point @superjohn has been hammering home. Players and coaches do a very poor job of closing out the game.

Reaction Score
OP forgot the other four Ds.
dodgeball GIF

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
But you’re an old man accurately yelling at clouds at least. I’m an old man confirming your point. Key moment late in the second half… loose ball under our defensive basket and AJax seemingly refused to go to the ground. Cold came flying in and immediately went to the ground but too late. We are losing so many 50/50 balls this season. frustrating.
You nailed it. Big point in the game.

Reaction Score
I'll yell at another cloud and say it falls in to a broader group of not valuing each possession. UConn gets lead in second half. Jackson gets ball and starts dribbling down court out of control. He somewhat regains possession and immediately tries some sort of one-handed toss down the court for a turnover. UConn D's up and gets ball back and, I think it was Gaffney, makes a horrible pass ahead to Hawkins who couldn't handle it.

Two straight possessions playing with the lead where UConn's defense had held WVU and UConn doesn't even get close to running its offense or getting off a shot.

Possessions matter. Possessions when you have a lead and you stop the opponent are great times to put the foot on the throat. This is a point @superjohn has been hammering home. Players and coaches do a very poor job of closing out the game.

Not sure which turnover it was, but the camera showed Hurley burying his head in his hands.

Pretty sure that camera would have showed JC pulling someone's jersey on the bench to get in as a replacement

Lost teaching moments

Reaction Score
Not sure which turnover it was, but the camera showed Hurley burying his head in his hands.

Pretty sure that camera would have showed JC pulling someone's jersey on the bench to get in as a replacement

Lost teaching moments
Immediately after Hurley had his head in his hands, he stood up and greeted the players coming to the bench for the timeout.

Care to tell us what was discussed in that huddle since you're certain the teaching moment was lost?

Reaction Score
Immediately after Hurley had his head in his hands, he stood up and greeted the players coming to the bench for the timeout.

Care to tell us what was discussed in that huddle since you're certain the teaching moment was

Care to tell us what was discussed in that huddle since you're certain the teaching moment was lost?

Are you trying to suggest that something he would say in the huddle (cmon guys stop turning it over) would mean more than pulling him from the game?

I guess you are saying JC had it wrong then. Who knew?

And the huddles are normally forward looking anyway , if you've even been in one.

Reaction Score
Are you trying to suggest that something he would say in the huddle (cmon guys stop turning it over) would mean more than pulling him from the game?

And the huddles are normally forward looking anyway , if you've even been in one.
You called it a "lost teaching moment"

I'm saying you have no idea what Hurley taught in those moments. Because well...

You don't.

On the other hand, you are very good at creating strawmen. Not so good at understanding there is more than 1 way to teach.

Reaction Score
I'm saying you have no idea what Hurley taught in those moments. Because well...

You don't.

On the other hand, you are very good at creating strawmen.

You don't.

On the other hand, you are very good at creating strawmen. Not so good at understanding there is more than 1 way to teach.

Climb off the canvas and claim strawman if it makes you feel better. There was nothing there that didn't deal directly with you questioning my post

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Chin is correct. It wasn’t just last night. Teams have been more aggressive going to the floor all season long. Not an encouraging sign.
We are the fan base that will most closely track if this gets better or worse. That's how it works.

Both of the past two seasons showed forward progress on most but not every one of the identified flaws and weaknesses, and both seasons suffered from reduced sample sizes. With 2-3 more games last year, Cole might have passed out to an open shooter rather than overpenetrated against Creighton and injured himself. Our season-ending disappointments have been Incompletes as well as final grades. If these early injuries don't define and derail the season, I'm very eager to witness how everybody progresses.

Reaction Score

No because there's not one way to coach. The fact that Hurley didn't do exactly what Calhoun would do doesn't mean anything

Reaction Score
Climb off the canvas and claim strawman if it makes you feel better. There was nothing there that didn't deal directly with you questioning my post
You said he lost the opportunity to teach because he didn't make a sub before the timeout that immediately followed the turnover.

What, specifically, did Hurley teach in that "lost teaching moment"?

Let's see if you can respond without bringing up Jim Calhoun or my playing/coaching career.

Reaction Score
No because there's not one way to coach. The fact that Hurley didn't do exactly what Calhoun would do doesn't mean anything

Sure and all ways work the same and are equally effective !

Yikes

Reaction Score

Lost teaching moments

It was the A Jackson play described in this thread, where he lost control, then flung an uncatchable pass over the end line.

Reaction Score
Sure and all ways work the same and are equally effective !

Yikes
Obviously you don't know what a strawman is if you deny employing it and then immediately use one.

Reaction Score
Of course not, but I think we can all agree Hurley has been a pretty effective head coach right?

Oh absolutely overall, to be clear. I am thinking in terms of maximizing the present team in a certain area is all.

I think we can also agree there are some areas he can improve on as well. I am on board make no mistake though

Reaction Score
Of course not, but I think we can all agree Hurley has been a pretty effective head coach right?
Good luck, he just can't seem to stop creating strawman.

Imagine thinking Division 1 basketball players need to be subbed out to be taught that turnovers are bad.

Reaction Score
Obviously you don't know what a strawman is if you deny employing it and then immediately use one.

Well it was sarcastic, but it was implied in the post I was responding to.

So first, you need to understand basic sentences before you declare something a strawman

Reaction Score
Good luck, he just can't seem to stop creating strawman.

Imagine thinking Division 1 basketball players need to be subbed out to be taught that turnovers are bad.

You realize you keep attacking a HOF coach when you say this right? And don't say this is a strawman because it was in my original post and proves my point.

Losers always fall back to this strawman declaration to save face so just keep it up

Reaction Score
You realize you keep attacking a HOF coach when you say this right? And don't say this is a strawman because it was in my original post and proves my point.

Losers always fall back to this strawman declaration to save face so just keep it up
Attacking an HOF coach?? By pointing out that there are more than one ways to teach without saying anything about which is better?

Okay Karen.

I've asked several times, you've yet to answer.

What did Hurley teach in that moment?

Go back and read the exchange, I asked you a question. Instead of answering it (because you can't) you bring up Jim Calhoun and question my basketball experience.

Are you always this fragile?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom