Cincinnati, OH: 794
Orlando, FL: 1213
Memphis, TN:1236
Tampa, FL: 1269
New Orleans, LA: 1446
Tulsa, OK: 1496
Dallas, TX: 1668
Houston, TX: 1768

There are 4 schools within 1200 miles of UConn's campus, and none within 200. WVU is getting killed by the travel, but at least they are getting $20MM a year to do it, and the travel is not nearly as bad as ours is going to be.

This league is a death sentence. This is why I wanted UMass and even Buffalo at this point, because this conference is not tenable for all sports. I would even consider taking Temple and joining the MAC over staying in this league.

Reaction Score
We get it, we'd be better off anywhere else...

Seriously though, the MAC? I get the BiG, ACC, B12 and PAC but the MAC!?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Storrs to:

Philadelphia, PA: 237
Annapolis, MD: 355
Greenville, NC: 641
Cincinnati, OH: 794
Orlando, FL: 1213
Memphis, TN:1236
Tampa, FL: 1269
New Orleans, LA: 1446
Tulsa, OK: 1496
Dallas, TX: 1668
Houston, TX: 1768

There are 4 schools within 1200 miles of UConn's campus, and none within 200. WVU is getting killed by the travel, but at least they are getting $20MM a year to do it, and the travel is not nearly as bad as ours is going to be.
Seriously?!? Do you know where the closest major airport is to Stillwater, OK? Manhatten, KS? Lubbock, TX? Waco, TX? Look at all the destinations for UConn. All major cities with major airports. Outside of paying for jetfuel, I don't see how our travel is worse than WVU. Is WVU getting more money? Yes. Will it hurt us a bit to travel that distance? Sure. But to claim that WVU's travel is not nearly as bad is asinine. During the WVU-OK St game they put up a graphic about the distance the fans had to travel (I'm assuming the team as well). Here's their route:

75.2 miles to Pitt for an airport (1 hr 20 min)
990 miles to Tulsa (god knows if there's a direct flight from Pitt to Tulsa) Don't know time on this b/c of layovers.
78.2 miles to Stillwater for the game (1 hr 15min)

So a total of about 1144 miles. That's better?? Please....It's probably worse going to Texas Tech or Baylor....

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Literally every single semi-realistic option anyone will come up with is better than the status quo. I have 7 choices I like better than staying in the AAC:

1) Independence for football, Big East basketball.
2) shut football down, Big East basketball
3) MAC football, Big East basketball
4) MAC football, A10 basketball
5) New NE Conference with Temple, Buffalo, UMass, and whoever else wants to join.
7) MWC for football, A10 or Big East for basketball.

Anything I miss?

Reaction Score
Literally every single semi-realistic option anyone will come up with is better than the status quo. I have 7 choices I like better than staying in the AAC:

1) Independence for football, Big East basketball.
2) shut football down, Big East basketball
3) MAC football, Big East basketball
4) MAC football, A10 basketball
5) New NE Conference with Temple, Buffalo, UMass, and whoever else wants to join.
7) MWC for football, A10 or Big East for basketball.

Anything I miss?
Reality

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You keep mentioning Big East basketball as if they'd actually let us in.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If you think that staying in the AAC will not be catastrophic for the athletic program, you are not living in reality.
ca·tas·tro·phe
noun \kə-ˈtas-trə-(ˌ)fē\
: the final event of the dramatic action especially of a tragedy
: a momentous tragic event ranging from extreme misfortune to utter overthrow or ruin
a : a violent and sudden change in a feature of the earth

b : a violent usually destructive natural event (as a supernova)
: utter failure : fiasco <the party was a catastrophe>
Most of these definitions allude to the sudden, violent, and decisive nature of the event. To use those definitions of "catastrophe" is, IMO, exaggeration. You might be able to make the case for definition #4 if, say, both basketball teams never make an NCAA tournament again and Gampel is more than half empty. Even in that scenario, it would be a slow steady decline, not quite a sudden and decisive transition from being a major program to being Idaho. A more likely scenario would be that the bball teams continue winning, maybe a down year here and there, football gets back to minor bowl games, but the fan attendance is about the same as it is now. Which you could call mediocrity or averageness, but not catastrophic failure.

Reaction Score
Shutting down football will solve all our problems. GET ON BOARD PEOPLE.
aFu_PenguinWack.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104