OT: - Disney to Spin-Off ESPN? | The Boneyard

OT: Disney to Spin-Off ESPN?

Reaction Score
In short, Disney looking to invest more in streaming to better compete with Netflix and would look to use any windfall from an ESPN spin-off to accomplish that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
while the world was sleeping last spring, ATT announced a sea change in their thinking. wall street en masse responded with an almost universal thumbs down. they're wrong. in a nutshell, ATT is kinda getting out of the 'content' business, and focusing more on their telecommunications infrastructure, cuz, you know, whatever cat videos or australian toe wrestling videos offered by a provider, it still has to get to you. they own a lot of that 'get to you' stuff.
content providing is facing thinner and thinner margins, and new players are entering all the time. netflix at 8 bucks was just too easy, then. today? well i just recently heard thru the insiders grapevine that frontier is tying into their old pal ATT's monetization of infrastucture thinking, cuz they've got lots of wires and stuff that they own, while sliding back from the content biz.
it's a content jungle out there, with new entrants all the time, like amazon.
the easiest steady money made in the kali gold rush was had by the people who provided the stuff everrone needed, like levi strauss, and the people who made pans. miners? notsomuch.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
while the world was sleeping last spring, ATT announced a sea change in their thinking. wall street en masse responded with an almost universal thumbs down. they're wrong. in a nutshell, ATT is kinda getting out of the 'content' business, and focusing more on their telecommunications infrastructure, cuz, you know, whatever cat videos or australian toe wrestling videos offered by a provider, it still has to get to you. they own a lot of that 'get to you' stuff.
content providing is facing thinner and thinner margins, and new players are entering all the time. netflix at 8 bucks was just too easy, then. today? well i just recently heard thru the insiders grapevine that frontier is tying into their old pal ATT's monetization of infrastucture thinking, cuz they've got lots of wires and stuff that they own, while sliding back from the content biz.
it's a content jungle out there, with new entrants all the time, like amazon.
the easiest steady money made in the kali gold rush was had by the people who provided the stuff everrone needed, like levi strauss, and the people who made pans. miners? notsomuch.

It got a thumbs down also because they are cutting their legendary dividend growth streak

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
65 million, and counting (very, very, few customers ever leave....) send them regular checks.
in some ways, this t situation reminds me of another recent anomaly, generac. being in and around the sustainability biz, when generac announced their battery, i was floored, cuz basically the big leagues were occupied by my pal elon (in around 50), and sunpower (they threw me out of their New Jersey office like 10 years ago...). like netflix around 8 bucks, i was like 'too easy, this makes total sense.' i then looked at generac analyst talking head land, and the vast consensus was 'no good.' why? and why were the only positive reviews centered around graham and dodd analysis? can't anyone see what this means? stock was around 200 or so. lotsa friends, especially city people who did not understand generac's footprint in the real world, thought it laughable.
generac, a brief year later, today - $460.
i think this piece summarizes my opinion.
Can AT&T Stock's New Brand Image Effort Impact Its Stock Valuation? (NYSE:T) | Seeking Alpha
im quite happy to wait on t, until the obviousness of their epic reliable, steady, and predictable cashflow wonderfulness is better understood. a month? a year? a few years? what do i care how long it takes, cuz in the end, well..... patience is a virtue. in the meantime, they send me checks to wait, thank you very much.

Reaction Score
Been rumored for a long time, but still making too much money to drop them. They say it might work when cable gets down to 50 million. At around 80 now.

the Q

Reaction Score
65 million, and counting (very, very, few customers ever leave....) send them regular checks.
in some ways, this t situation reminds me of another recent anomaly, generac. being in and around the sustainability biz, when generac announced their battery, i was floored, cuz basically the big leagues were occupied by my pal elon (in around 50), and sunpower (they threw me out of their New Jersey office like 10 years ago...). like netflix around 8 bucks, i was like 'too easy, this makes total sense.' i then looked at generac analyst talking head land, and the vast consensus was 'no good.' why? and why were the only positive reviews centered around graham and dodd analysis? can't anyone see what this means? stock was around 200 or so. lotsa friends, especially city people who did not understand generac's footprint in the real world, thought it laughable.
generac, a brief year later, today - $460.
i think this piece summarizes my opinion.
Can AT&T Stock's New Brand Image Effort Impact Its Stock Valuation? (NYSE:T) | Seeking Alpha
im quite happy to wait on t, until the obviousness of their epic reliable, steady, and predictable cashflow wonderfulness is better understood. a month? a year? a few years? what do i care how long it takes, cuz in the end, well..... patience is a virtue. in the meantime, they send me checks to wait, thank you very much.

They are cutting that check in half next year. That’s one of the biggest reasons they’re dropping.

They might’ve been better off selling off all the IP assets they had rather than this merger

the Q

Reaction Score

Cutting them so they have room to add WWE lol

There is a rumor out there that Disney tried to buy the whole thing last year when wwe put their IP streaming rights on the bidding block

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'in a nutshell, ATT is kinda getting out of the 'content' business,'

and, if true, dumping 'classic' and '2.0' kinda sounds exactly like getting out of parts of the content business. content margins shrink by the month in the tv bitness for most products. lately, i've noticed that many brands of super duper hamburgers in the super are getting 'yellow tag discounts.'
bought some wahlburgers the other day for half price. pretty good, but i'll never buy them retail as plain ol store ground beef works just fine, and is usually around half the price. 80/20 or even 75/25, as those low fat ones taste like straw.
free youtube is a beast, and quite the viable alternative for folks pinched by these times where gasoline, food, heating, rents, ..... seem to be heading to the moon. poor folks are getting absolutely hammered by the 'new thinking' in the swamp. and, based on Tuesday, looks like they're starting to get cranky.
on that wahlburger day, i was stunned when looking at the electronic billboard over the deli counter. aboot a third of it had the selection, and prices, for, let's call them the 'beef' deli products. not a one had a number under $12/lb, and the top price was $22/lb. then i went and bought some petrol, $4+ a gallon. things got broke, fast.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yes; adding to their "family entertainment" vision.
wwe is family entertainment. as a boy whose dad was born in a suit, and a mom born in a dress, when i got interested in fake wrestling, they would take me to live wrestling events simply becuz it was fun. a good time was had by all. thanks 'rents. i owe u a box of premium burgers, after i take the discount sticker offa the package. that move will bring their complete approval.
American Gothic Thanksgiving by Brandtk on DeviantArt

Last edited:

the Q

Reaction Score
wwe is family entertainment. as a boy whose dad was born in a suit, and a mom born in a dress, when i got interested in fake wrestling, they would take me to live wrestling events simply becuz it was fun. a good time was had by all. thanks 'rents. i owe u a box of premium burgers, after i take the discount sticker offa the package. that move will bring their complete approval.
American Gothic Thanksgiving by Brandtk on DeviantArt

And wwe has only become more kid: family friendly since then.

It’s a PG show now

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
And wwe has only become more kid: family friendly since then.

It’s a PG show now
Maybe your avatar and comment statement could become more friendly, I mean it is a bit aggressive and condescending... :rolleyes:

the Q

Reaction Score
Maybe your avatar and comment statement could become more friendly, I mean it is a bit aggressive and condescending... :rolleyes:

Lol

It’s the catch phrase quote of an AEW wrestler

I’ve also quoted a few of their top stars entrance song lyrics

the Q

Reaction Score

And now I changed it to one by my favorite wrestler on the planet…..who WWE just released

:(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom