Disney losing $30 m per day | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Disney losing $30 m per day

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Same here, I'll never pay for it. I made the mistake of of paying for ESPN+ for a year upfront and it's got nothing for me right now.

I did one month of ESPN+ to get access to Fury/Wilder II. No complaints. $85 for a real good fight but cancelled after one month.

If You Tube TV jack's prices again, I'm dropping it and getting the Hulu Live +Disney + ESPN package.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I've been getting free Hulu from Spotify for awhile now. Still haven't watched anything.

Reaction Score
Hesitant to say anything since you didn’t ask and maybe you know this but UCO is meant for short term, intraday trading, not long term holding. Every day that oil goes down there is a rebalancing of fund holdings making long term 2x tracking of the oil price impossible and this is ignoring fees. For example, if oil is down 20% today and up 25% tomorrow it is back to where it started. UCO would be down 40% today and then up 50% tomorrow; still down 10%. So you basically need oil to go up in a straight line to achieve 2x oil.

There may also be heavy costs rolling futures contracts into a steep contango but I don’t know what UCO’s holdings are (this hurts USO).

You can still make money and even make 500%, it’s just probably going to take a much higher oil price than you might think. And if oil gets that high there are probably better options to capture more of the price increase.

I've held SCO and UCO in the past. I know it is beat down by fund holdings and fees. I have been in and out over 14 years on it, and never day traded it. I actually hold both for a very long time. I once bought SCO in the teens and held to the hundreds. If oil reaches $50 in a year, then UCO is at 8. I simply don't have time to delve into options which would be better for what I'm doing (though also riskier).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've been getting free Hulu from Spotify for awhile now. Still haven't watched anything.

I was mostly rewatching Hill St Blues reruns. I made it up to Sarge dying in season 4.

Reaction Score
I've held SCO and UCO in the past. I know it is beat down by fund holdings and fees. I have been in and out over 14 years on it, and never day traded it. I actually hold both for a very long time. I once bought SCO in the teens and held to the hundreds. If oil reaches $50 in a year, then UCO is at 8. I simply don't have time to delve into options which would be better for what I'm doing (though also riskier).

The fact that you once owned SCO in the hundreds, crude is at a 20 year low yet SCO is trading at $33 should tell you everything you need to know.

Just trying to be helpful. Hope you make $.

Reaction Score
ESPN has asked talent to take pay cuts

I don't even peak at ESPN (TV) anymore lately. The website has turned into a TMZ type site, with no relevant information.

They would be better served in covering the virus with sports stories, current virus heroes, stadium workers, recovery/survival stories, etc..

Only because right now sports is irrelevant yet sports figures not so much.

Reaction Score
The fact that you once owned SCO in the hundreds, crude is at a 20 year low yet SCO is trading at $33 should tell you everything you need to know.

Just trying to be helpful. Hope you make $.

It had a stock split.

I didn't say you weren't helpful. I just think stocks rising by that amount in a year is an incredible gain.

SCO was at $10 or 11 just a couple months ago. It hit $50 a couple weeks ago. That would have been a $500% gain in a couple of months if anyone was crazy to hold on for that long.

When I bought SCO at its lows many years ago, oil was trading at $100 a barrel. Oil then fell to $20. That's why SCO skyrocketed from $15 (presplit) to $150 (presplit).

This time the fall came from $60 which explains the smaller rise from $10/11 to $50.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't even peak at ESPN (TV) anymore lately. The website has turned into a TMZ type site, with no relevant information.

They would be better served in covering the virus with sports stories, current virus heroes, stadium workers, recovery/survival stories, etc..

Only because right now sports is irrelevant yet sports figures not so much.

In the 80's and early 90's ESPN's afternoons were filled with replays of the previous night's games. I would be more likely to watch that than their talking heads. Sure, as a UConn fan I can record any UConn game and watch it. But there's a good chance every night there is a sporting event that has some cool storyline, finish or drama that you don't have recorded. I'd put that on in the background.

I've actually enjoyed some of the classic boxing matches, UFC and other sporting events from year's past during this down time.

Reaction Score
It had a stock split.

I didn't say you weren't helpful. I just think stocks rising by that amount in a year is an incredible gain.

SCO was at $10 or 11 just a couple months ago. It hit $50 a couple weeks ago. That would have been a $500% gain in a couple of months if anyone was crazy to hold on for that long.

When I bought SCO at its lows many years ago, oil was trading at $100 a barrel. It fell to $20. That's why it skyrocketed from $15 (presplit) to $150 (presplit)

Not really relevant to the discussion but a math correction; $10 to $50 would have been a 400% gain. Still pretty damn good in my book.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Honestly, I'm surprised their losses are that low. That level of daily loss for a year would be $11 billion, or only 16% of 2019 revenue.

Reaction Score
Disney+ going from 0 subscribers to 50 million in months vs taking Netflix about 14 years is remarkable and speaks to the brand. And it debuted in Europe last month and in India in the past week. We don’t know the net revenue per sub, but probably $5+ which is very respectable.

As for concerns about movies, Disney will take a hit for a while. Streaming first run movies could mean greater revenues for Disney than starting in theatres, but nobody can prove that yet.

ESPN is a cash cow that’s not growing. My guess is it will not be part of Disney in 5 years.

The parks will come back as a visit is on every families vacation must visit list. Parks won’t rebound overnight.

Disney stock was $80 recently and I thought it was a buy and now it’s $104. Great company with great brands, but business is being hit pretty hard so you will probably get another chance to buy it at a lower price.
ESPN was Disney’s main cash cow for almost 20 years. They focused on buying content. Their sports library is unparalleled anywhere. When people stop watching sports, then you can start that rumor again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom