Disney losing $30 m per day | The Boneyard

Disney losing $30 m per day

Reaction Score
I have watched that stock like a hawk. It bottomed out and has bumped up a little. Not enough to pull the trigger, but I'm watching it and waiting.

The bump was an increase in Disney plus subscribers. That's not enough considering the losses they'll experience from their parks and delayed movie openings

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The bumb was an increase in Disney plus subscribers. That's not enough considering the losses they'll experience from their parks and delayed movie openings

It's holding steady regardless of all that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Every time somebody mentions Disney or ESPN, I'm reminded that it's way too long since I called my best friend from college, who claims to have taught Iger how to shoplift.

By sundown tomorrow, and that's a promise.

Reaction Score
I have watched that stock like a hawk. It bottomed out and has bumped up a little. Not enough to pull the trigger, but I'm watching it and waiting.
Me too, I went against my gut wanting to go to more cash and cut out too early on Amazon and Netflix even though they should be lifetime holds because I just don't trust this market. Made some money back on some small biotech plays but left a lot of money on the table.

Reaction Score
Me too, I went against my gut wanting to go to more cash and cut out too early on Amazon and Netflix even though they should be lifetime holds because I just don't trust this market. Made some money back on some small biotech plays but left a lot of money on the table.

Amazon, Netflix, Berkshire Hathaway, Johnson and Johnson, and Microsoft have ALWAYS done me well. Never, ever selling those. I’m no financial advisor but if anyone has extra cash these 5 stocks are golden.

Regarding Disney, I love the company but I just can’t invest in it right now for several reasons. Parks are losing tons in revenue and some don’t expect them to return to capacity for 2 years. They’re not bringing in any box office revenue and who knows if box office revenue will ever be the same after this due to streaming. If it gets to the mid to low 80s I’ll buy, but otherwise sadly have to pass.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wouldn't oil/crude stocks and options be something good to get into now? Just wondering

Me, I could care less about Disney - not a company I have respect for anymore

Reaction Score
They just launched Disney Plus which has picked up 30 million subscribers. They get about $6 per month. Or 180 million bucks a month. Or about $2+ billion a year. Helps ease the pain.

They will be hit hard but in 18 months the virus will be gone and their assets will still be in place. No tears for Disney.

Reaction Score
They just launched Disney Plus which has picked up 30 million subscribers. They get about $6 per month. Or 180 million bucks a month. Or about $2+ billion a year. Helps ease the pain.

They will be hit hard but in 18 months the virus will be gone and their assets will still be in place. No tears for Disney.
50 million subs

Reaction Score
Companies overleveraged in debt. There are going to be some explosions coming soon, and we're going to hear the same as 2008, credit/risk wipeouts. I'm not getting in anything soon.

I have a long term play in UCO (oil) at current levels. In a year or so that stock will be back at 8+, 500% gain from here.

Reaction Score
Companies overleveraged in debt. There are going to be some explosions coming soon, and we're going to hear the same as 2008, credit/risk wipeouts. I'm not getting in anything soon.

I have a long term play in UCO (oil) at current levels. In a year or so that stock will be back at 8+, 500% gain from here.
And like 2008, the government will decide who can fail and who is too big to fail. I have been hearing about the corporate debt bubble for 2 years now. Fact is, the government showed its hand a decade ago. Not only does it have bullets you can’t even imagine possible, they wont stop at any expense to keep the American investor as close to whole as possible. I learned the hard way back then. I now only go long and average cost invest. This correction was a gift .(in investing only)

Reaction Score
How many are freebies, though? I get it and I'm not paying for it.

You mean you get it as part of some other package or something? Someone's paying someone something even if it's not you.

Reaction Score
You mean you get it as part of some other package or something? Someone's paying someone something even if it's not you.
But what are they paying to Disney? I am sure it’s much less than any consumer would pay.Buy the rumor, sell the news. The play in Disney happened.

Reaction Score

Hesitant to say anything since you didn’t ask and maybe you know this but UCO is meant for short term, intraday trading, not long term holding. Every day that oil goes down there is a rebalancing of fund holdings making long term 2x tracking of the oil price impossible and this is ignoring fees. For example, if oil is down 20% today and up 25% tomorrow it is back to where it started. UCO would be down 40% today and then up 50% tomorrow; still down 10%. So you basically need oil to go up in a straight line to achieve 2x oil.

There may also be heavy costs rolling futures contracts into a steep contango but I don’t know what UCO’s holdings are (this hurts USO).

You can still make money and even make 500%, it’s just probably going to take a much higher oil price than you might think. And if oil gets that high there are probably better options to capture more of the price increase.

Reaction Score
Disney+ going from 0 subscribers to 50 million in months vs taking Netflix about 14 years is remarkable and speaks to the brand. And it debuted in Europe last month and in India in the past week. We don’t know the net revenue per sub, but probably $5+ which is very respectable.

As for concerns about movies, Disney will take a hit for a while. Streaming first run movies could mean greater revenues for Disney than starting in theatres, but nobody can prove that yet.

ESPN is a cash cow that’s not growing. My guess is it will not be part of Disney in 5 years.

The parks will come back as a visit is on every families vacation must visit list. Parks won’t rebound overnight.

Disney stock was $80 recently and I thought it was a buy and now it’s $104. Great company with great brands, but business is being hit pretty hard so you will probably get another chance to buy it at a lower price.

Reaction Score
Disney+ going from 0 subscribers to 50 million in months vs taking Netflix about 14 years is remarkable and speaks to the brand. And it debuted in Europe last month and in India in the past week. We don’t know the net revenue per sub, but probably $5+ which is very respectable.

As for concerns about movies, Disney will take a hit for a while. Streaming first run movies could mean greater revenues for Disney than starting in theatres, but nobody can prove that yet.

ESPN is a cash cow that’s not growing. My guess is it will not be part of Disney in 5 years.

The parks will come back as a visit is on every families vacation must visit list. Parks won’t rebound overnight.

Disney stock was $80 recently and I thought it was a buy and now it’s $104. Great company with great brands, but business is being hit pretty hard so you will probably get another chance to buy it at a lower price.
Disney had 100 years of old content and a global quarantine that helped gain the 50 mil subs. And yes, there will always be some sort of market for Disney but at what cost and shelf life. Netflix invests something like 15 billion a year in new content. Disney is no where close and it will take some time for them to play catch up, if they even want to. I am not suggesting that Disney is a bad company or a bad long term investment. Its simply not high growth or a strong streaming play. For that, look at the one month chart of NFLX. I do agree with you that Disney is a buy in the high 70s, low 80s. It seems that this 105 level is major resistance and has failed here numerous times. Either way, good luck and I hope you make some money.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't oil/crude stocks and options be something good to get into now? Just wondering

Me, I could care less about Disney - not a company I have respect for anymore

I used to have a bunch of ExxonMobil (XOM) for a long time. It outperformed the S&P for 50+ years. It was between 80.00 and 100.00 for the most part and now it's in the 40's. I don't know that I see it climbing up quickly. Probably worth a look? Not sure I'd sink a big chunk of money in it right now. Just my 0.02.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

50 million subs

And there are a bunch like me who are Verizon subscribers who are getting it for free for a year. Don't know if I'll keep it, but I know at least some will.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Would like to see how Disney handles it cruise lines. I can't believe the cruises are core revenue for the company. I always saw them as a final cherry on the sundae of Disney products. Only cruise I've been on was a Disney cruise with the family and it was great but I don't see myself taking any cruises any time soon.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And there are a bunch like me who are Verizon subscribers who are getting it for free for a year. Don't know if I'll keep it, but I know at least some will.
Same here, I'll never pay for it. I made the mistake of of paying for ESPN+ for a year upfront and it's got nothing for me right now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom