Dishin & Swishin with Doug Feinberg on WNBA Finals & USA Tryouts | The Boneyard

Dishin & Swishin with Doug Feinberg on WNBA Finals & USA Tryouts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AP's Doug Feinberg my guest this week. Doug has been in Annapolis watching USA tryouts while keeping an eye on the WNBA finals

Topics covered in today’s podcast include:

- Is this year’s Phoenix Mercury performance the single greatest in WNBA history?
- Brittney Griner’s maturity and growth, dominating on both ends of the floor.
- Diana Taurasi as one of the greatest finishers and winners in women’s basketball history.
- Would anyone else in the Eastern conference given Phoenix a closer series, and if so, who?

Then it is on to observations and thoughts on USA Basketball camp and the selection of the national team.

- Who is impressing the coaching staff and committee members in attendance.
- Returning players versus new players, the decision facing the selection committee.
- Team breakdown by position, quantity and quality.
- What is the most difficult, and most important, spot to fill.
- Breanna Stewart, college player versus professional in team selection.

http://post original url/T27ZiKoaRZ

Reaction Score
AP's Doug Feinberg my guest this week. Doug has been in Annapolis watching USA tryouts while keeping an eye on the WNBA finals

http://post original url/T27ZiKoaRZ

Loved it nice talk.
I agree with the "juggernaut" of the Mercury discussion. I got to say - I know both of you love DT as I do. It's just some time the tone of you or Doug and even some posters on this board sort of - not blatantly - but just say some things that seem to put her down in a peg in one sentence but then build her up in another.
I know you said she is super and among your favorite players ever. But then you say this year she has had a level of calmness and control that you haven't seen in the past. In one way I'm on board with what you say but in another way her past teams - her coaches wanted the team to play with chaos and wild run-and-gun freedom. So her "less control and less calmness" imo was by design just as the prior coaches wanted.

And Doug did say later on Dt -she can be best player at the 1/2/3 positions in the world. But earlier he was speaking of this year she added "maturity to her game?" Huh???? But later he said she is best 1/2/3 etc so obviously he wasn't meaning anything derogatory in prior years. But imo this "maturity" that he believes was added was there in that she accepted whatever style her coach wanted her to play. Thus her game was always "mature" other than maybe her 1st and/or 2nd year. I tink soemtimes DT has gotten a bad rap for her pastteams that lose. But it's the style her coach wanted her and the others teammates to play. DT could have been "this" for a ton of years if she had a combo like Griner and Dupree. Griner just needed 1 year under her belt.

And then he said DT was" quiet" before the half-court shot? Huh???? Well- she got 34 in their 1st win vs LA . He also said another thing that was puzzling but I won't elaborate.

And I loved the talk of new team coming up. Loved it. There has been talk not to have 3 bigs but after hearing you guys talk and it was metioned that Geno said he 8 players have to play themlelsves out of the position, I think this team can afford to go with Folwes. Tina can play pf, and whose to say Griner can't if you want to go with Griner and Fowles at the same time? Don't think you need to. But maybe it can be done in your blowouts? IMO it's what makes things interesting see these different combos. Not saying Griner /Fowles is a consideration, but how can you take out Fowles from Team USA?

My team would now be

Bird, Whelan, Diggins

DT, Augustus

Maya, Angel

Tina, Griner, Fowles, Nneka, Stewie

I wouldn’t have had Stewie but with no Catch/Parker and frankly EDD needs to sit out due to her health/injuries; Stewie would be a terrific add.

Reaction Score
First, thank you for listening hoophuskee, and second I love the comments! Great stuff!

Sometimes it's difficult to put personal feelings aside, and perhaps when it seems I say things that seem like I'm putting Dee down a peg I'm trying to "even the score" so to speak. She is great, and I love her as a person too, but she's not perfect, and I try to show that.

For example, when I mentioned this was the most calm and in control more than I've seen, I'm referring to her temper, outbursts, and technical foul antics (and complaining). IMO, she had gotten worse over time with those things; not getting better about it with age, but actually letting it affect her more, and impacting her team and the game.

This year I feel she has been different; maybe she trusts Brondello to watch their backs more than Gaines did, but she seems to be arguing and complaining less, although as a whole I think the Mercury complain more than any other good team that I remember in recent memory.

Regarding Doug, I can't respond to his opinions obviously, but I sort of said "huh?" when he mentioned she hadn't done much prior to the half court shot, but then I realized he was specifically talking about that game and impacting that game alone. Regarding the maturity to her game comment, I think he too was talking about not getting frustrated, staying with the feed BG and Dupree approach and not going one on one.

As to USA Basketball, the young'uns will have their time but even Geno said yesterday there is a big gap between the vets that have done this before and the young players.

I have felt all along Stewie was a lock for this team, the third in succession of college players after Parker and then Maya. If EDD can play, I think Stewie still makes the team, although Nneka sure gave people things to think about last night didn't she?

Thanks again for the post, and please keep listening and discussing with me! I LOVE IT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom
Top Bottom