Dishin & Swishin Podcast by Request: Alysa Auriemma | The Boneyard

Dishin & Swishin Podcast by Request: Alysa Auriemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Alright Boneyarders, you asked for her and I thought the holidays were the perfect time.

So spend an hour with Ally and I as we discuss life, yoga, food, growing up with a myriad of sisters and even her father's tweeting.

Happy new year!

Www.hoopfeed.com

She's hysterical on twitter, especially her exchanges with Geno

Reaction Score
If you have seen her tweets this afternoon they were a riot as she was listening to this for the first time

Reaction Score
Great interview, DishNSwish. At the end, you say that you like Uconn Wbball because it's an open game, and it's not 'do A; if not A, do B'. I thought you were saying something interesting, but I don't really understand.

On the one hand there are 'Plays'. I would characterize these as highly choreographed set pieces. These often have 'Options' (as you describe - if A is overplayed then do B). Then there are general principles: cut backdoor if the wing is overplayed; reverse the ball to get the defense moving; if the point is overplayed the high post may step out.

So are you saying that Uconn uses more general principles than set pieces? Or that the general principles supercede the steps of the set pieces? Another option would be that if the set pieces had a lot of Options, these would be a lot more like a set of general principles than a prescribed play.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn applies much more general principles than set plays.

Reaction Score
As Icebear said, the principles are really what UConn runs, rather than plays, off of sets. Yes, they set in certain ways, but the players are pretty much free to do what they feel is correct in the situation...back door, pick and pop, screen for each other and roll, etc.

It's not just Stef picks for Tiff who comes to the wing and Stef rolls, while Bria fills, etc.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And that is why Jeff Van Gundy can say that Geno's teams run a little bit of Triangle. a little Motion, a Little of the Princeton O, and a little bit of Geno's own.

Reaction Score
I guess I would really like to know what these General Principles of Basketball are. It seems like these are The Secret. I suppose there are books on the topic, however, I, like everyone else, did not learn basketball from a book! Perhaps Geno will one day teach Basketball 101 at Uconn.

Game theory is the mathematical (economics/biological) study of optimal strategies when the solution is dependent on another players/teams actions. All these basketball plays are candidate solutions to game theory problems. I would just like to know if the general principles are optimal, unique, and given what assumptions. You know, like the backdoor cut and the Britney Griner exception :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Moose, I would recommend many of the volumes of The Art and Science of Coaching series. They are very informative and specific to various theories and offensive and defensive structures. Here is one I suggest as a starter LINK As to Geno there is this video set available from a respected source and I find it excellent. LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom