Disgusted | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Disgusted

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I think we need to realize how overrated we are, and that we are not even CLOSE to the program we were in the Big East.
But there's hope for the future on the recruiting end. As someone on this board stated a couple weeks ago, this team is the last shockwave effect of the APR penalties and scholarship shortage. Our senior class is frickin Omar Calhoun and Phil Nolan. Once we start to annually bring in 3-4 4+ star recruits again, we are in great shape.
One thing we've learned after the majority of this season, is that this year+last year are bridge years more than anything. With that said, there's still NCAA hope for this team. This team, like any other team could get hot in the tournament, if we get there.

Besides Bazz, we never have legit NBA prospects playing here as seniors. Whenever we have had great years, other than 14, we have been led by underclassmen with senior role players. This isn't due to quality of the seniors.

Calhoun and Nolan are not any worse than most of our senior classes.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how anyone can expect anything from these guys at this point. To me, it's way past even getting angry. This team is what it is, incredibly stupid and weak. The direction from the bench is what it is, questionable and incredibly maddening at times throughout the season. This team just doesn't have it, period. These next two recruiting classes need to be what they are expected to be or we are in danger of falling into a spiral, that in this league will be very hard to get out of.

Reaction Score
If you aren't getting back on defense, that's also on the coach. It's inexcusable, call a timeout and bench all of them.

Yea, bench the whole team and see if the walk-ons can do better. Hard to take you serious.

Reaction Score
What absolute BULL.

Credit them my .

This program is making the AAC look FAR better than it is. Anyone see what happened to Temple when they played Villanova?

Kevin Ollie and his staff making the AAC look like the toughest league in the country is malpractice at the highest order.

Anyone see what happened to Texas when they played UConn?

Reaction Score
Drunk off success? We won 1 game in a row after looking bad and losing to Cincy.
What I was trying to get at was, they were probably way too over confident because of the way they beat USF so easily.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Besides Bazz, we never have legit NBA prospects playing here as seniors. Whenever we have had great years, other than 14, we have been led by underclassmen with senior role players. This isn't due to quality of the seniors.

Calhoun and Nolan are not any worse than most of our senior classes.
Doesn't it feel like our recruiting was affected since the NCAA coming down on us? I mean even our Junior class, a JUCO, Facey and Brimah is not anything to get excited about. It's not like anyone has left early for the NBA in the last couple years...Our senior and junior class right now are our classes the year of our postseason ban, and the year after. Now that we have come out of that shadow, our recruiting is clearly being restored.

Reaction Score
Yea, bench the whole team and see if the walk-ons can do better. Hard to take you serious.
You do it to send a message that no effort like that won't be tolerated. Guess what, Ollie did nothing and we continued to let them have rim runs and the game was over. Yup, that was great coaching right there. Also a little grammar tip, hard to take you "seriously"is what you should say in the future.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
That's the issue, the effort. There was one point they showed 3 guys jogging back while a Houston player blew right by all THREE of them for a lay-up. Hate to say it but even if this team makes the tourney, do they deserve it? 6th place in this conference is a embarrassment given the history of our program. It's scary. Other issue is this team just isn't that like able. There's no Boat, no Bazz, no Kemba, no Okafor, etc. This is a team of role players and no leader.
This pretty much sums it up. A UConn team that loses by consistently failing to hustle in the big game. I truly feel like I am not watching a UConn team. Lack of hustle is a discipline thing. If they made mistakes or got beat fairly OK. I can live with that. But if they (players and coaches) don't think they have to hustle back on defense and don't care,
why should l? This is what discipline sounds like:

Reaction Score
Yeah, it was the worst display of effort I have seen from a UCONN team in a big game since I can remember. I have been watching UCONN basketball from around 1980 so that is a long time. LOL! Sorry to say but some of this has to fall on KO as even one of his key guys SG was taking plays off all game long.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Sometimes around here I feel like I'm the only person who came into the season with realistic expectation. This team is a thrown together bunch of guys. Chemistry wins championships over talent. The individuals on this team are highly talented but as a whole they are lesser than their parts. That should have been expected. We are still dealing with the fallout of everything that happened to blow our team up, and I think not having a <20 win season since then is more than we should have hoped for. Look to the future.

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
You directed it to the wrong audience. Should have told the team

They know first hand how it feels, should know better already after losing to them the last 3 years

Reaction Score
Sometimes around here I feel like I'm the only person who came into the season with realistic expectation. This team is a thrown together bunch of guys. Chemistry wins championships over talent. The individuals on this team are highly talented but as a whole they are lesser than their parts. That should have been expected. We are still dealing with the fallout of everything that happened to blow our team up, and I think not having a <20 win season since then is more than we should have hoped for. Look to the future.[/aQUOTE]
And this is why I thought one of those summer trips would have benefited this team more than any other team we have had. I read an article in one of the local papers before the season started and Ollie said they tried to put one together, but it didnt work out because of some of the players schedules or something like that. That would have been a lot more time this team had to practice with each other and the games vs solid competition would have helped toughen them up, and give the coaching saff the opportunity to see what they needed to work on welll before the season started.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think what we saw today was much different than what we've seen for much of the season. This team just isn't that good. Well, they're good but they're not very good. They are what they are.

I agree. Basketball is not a rotisserie sport, but Ollie tried to create a rotisserie team with Gibbs and Miller. Throw in Brimah not really developing as we hoped, and we are what we are. Roles are not well defined, and the team just isn't that good.

The team composition is the problem. This squad is a function of UConn losing two recruiting classes at the end of Calhoun's and the beginning of Ollie's tenure. We have no upper classmen of consequence that came up the ranks. I am certainly disappointed in the team, but I don't know why people get so angry about a bubble team losing. That is what bubble teams do.

Reaction Score
Doesn't it feel like our recruiting was affected since the NCAA coming down on us? I mean even our Junior class, a JUCO, Facey and Brimah is not anything to get excited about. It's not like anyone has left early for the NBA in the last couple years...Our senior and junior class right now are our classes the year of our postseason ban, and the year after. Now that we have come out of that shadow, our recruiting is clearly being restored.
Good post. This is still a trainwreck of a thread, but good post.

Reaction Score
Last two years have been emotionally draining as a fan. Really don't know what to think anymore. Can we just jump in a time machine to 2017?

Reaction Score
Playing a team as bad as USF the game before didn't help. These are 18 yr old kids. They thought they played great defense against USF when in fact USF was just plain terrible. Houston is not terrible. If you want to beat them you have to play DEFENSE on every possession. This is not coaching. This is on the kids. How badly do they want it. Today they didn't want it bad enough and as a consequence they suffered a very bad loss. There is still time to turn this season around and make a deep run in the tournament but I'm not the seeing that from this group

Reaction Score
I think we need to realize how overrated we are, and that we are not even CLOSE to the program we were in the Big East.
But there's hope for the future on the recruiting end. As someone on this board stated a couple weeks ago, this team is the last shockwave effect of the APR penalties and scholarship shortage. Our senior class is frickin Omar Calhoun and Phil Nolan. Once we start to annually bring in 3-4 4+ star recruits again, we are in great shape.
One thing we've learned after the majority of this season, is that this year+last year are bridge years more than anything. 3 of our best players are transfers for goodness sake. With that said, there's still NCAA hope for this team. This team, like any other team could get hot in the tournament, if we get there.
I wish this were true - even though they are transfers, Gibbs, Miller and Purvis as seniors are better than a 3/4 star player will be as a freshman and sophomore. The fact that we have this much experience - we play 5 seniors for crying out loud - and more talent than any other team in this conference yet are in 6th place is insane.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
This. Have very talented sophomore and freshman classes, with a top recruiting class coming in. Gotta look to the future. The UConn program has recovered, and this years team does not reflect that.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The problem is that our spot of three point shooters Gibbs, Purvis and Calhoun can only hit shots when the game is out of reach or when we are ahead by 12 pts.
So, the other teams really close out hard, hoping and praying that they put the ball on the floor and try to make it to the rim.

Reaction Score
I wish this were true - even though they are transfers, Gibbs, Miller and Purvis as seniors are better than a 3/4 star player will be as a freshman and sophomore. The fact that we have this much experience - we play 5 seniors for crying out loud - and more talent than any other team in this conference yet are in 6th place is insane.
Not only that, but college basketball as a whole is very weak this year. To think we are probably on the wrong side of an otherwise extremely soft bubble is unconscionable. While I do believe that there is some truth to missed recruiting classes, the fact remains that this team should not be where it is.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
People are saying Dotson came out of nowhere? The kid has been great this year and was very good as a frosh at Oregon. He schooled us today, simple as that. Gotta give him credit.

Reaction Score

Individually perhaps, but the makeup of this team is just wrong. Gibbs and Purvis don't complement each other at all, Hamilton and Adams are the most talented players on our team right now and our only playmakers, and they will be a year older and more experienced. We could certainly be a better with a young team but with our more talented, and better all around players a year older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom