Discussion question for the day | The Boneyard

Discussion question for the day

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Saw this quote from Sun Coach Curt Miller: “The unintended consequence of injuries is that people get to play through mistakes, get to play extended minutes, and you don’t have any short hook with people,” Miller said.

So, this is the down side of having a "long" bench. I can think of several UConn players who may not have reached their potential because of a short hook. Saniya Chong comes to mind first. Her first three years, she was not allowed to play through mistakes, in my humble opinion. In her senior year, Geno virtually had to play her. And she responded.

I'm afraid this coming season, which we are all anxiously anticipating, may very well present the same problem. One or more players may not be able to deal with a short hook. It is unfortunate. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Saw this quote from Sun Coach Curt Miller: “The unintended consequence of injuries is that people get to play through mistakes, get to play extended minutes, and you don’t have any short hook with people,” Miller said.

So, this is the down side of having a "long" bench. I can think of several UConn players who may not have reached their potential because of a short hook. Saniya Chong comes to mind first. Her first three years, she was not allowed to play through mistakes, in my humble opinion. In her senior year, Geno virtually had to play her. And she responded.

I'm afraid this coming season, which we are all anxiously anticipating, may very well present the same problem. One or more players may not be able to deal with a short hook. It is unfortunate. Thoughts?
We have to believe that, " the cream always rises to the top." Why create unnecessary stress? The team will be great and great play will be obvious. Let's just hope for good health.

Reaction Score

I tend to agree with your view. I also tend to be naive and believe in the untapped talent of those not given the chance. There are those like DT, SUE, Moriah, etc whose talent will not be denied--and will always be seen --it's part of their psychological make up. There are other, great players, that don't always pop to the top in practice--they are game players--if given the time and coaching trust--they require their confidence from a person in charge ;will, like Chong and Stokes, rise to the top. All rejects--aren't. Again--Uconn isn;t for everyone--some learn that early some don't.

Reaction Score
We have to believe that, " the cream always rises to the top." Why create unnecessary stress? The team will be great and great play will be obvious. Let's just hope for good health.

I'm not sure I fully understand your "Stress" comment. Do you mean that trying to bring along players who don't have psychological tendencies to run to the front of the line--causes stress? Or the posting to the idea --a long bench won't allow that??
There will be 20 or more games where Uconn will be up by 30 at the half--allowing for 10 or 20 minutes to teach kids in a game situation without "hooking" them. Even without all the talent of this team--last year there were AT least 25 teaching games available.
Some will say they were taught in those games--but we saw freshmen -sophs screw up and immediately leave---that's the point of which I was speaking. Pull them explain what they should do, and re-insert them. (my personal view)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
To 69's point - or Curt Millers, I suppose - it is very true.

In UConn's case, a long bench may mean there are some very talented players not getting to play through their mistakes and growing pains, at least in meaningful minutes. For other programs, it may mean that a very serviceable player never gets the opportunity to show what they really could do, given the opportunity, because unfortunately the opportunity never comes.

When finally pressed into service by need, some shine (as indicated by Chong), others (including a number of RU players over the years) do contribute, and some, well, end up not developing at all.

And incidentally, CVS is not known for letting players in her program play through mistakes.

Reaction Score
To 69's point - or Curt Millers, I suppose - it is very true.

In UConn's case, a long bench may mean there are some very talented players not getting to play through their mistakes and growing pains, at least in meaningful minutes. For other programs, it may mean that a very serviceable player never gets the opportunity to show what they really could do, given the opportunity, because unfortunately the opportunity never comes.

When finally pressed into service by need, some shine (as indicated by Chong), others (including a number of RU players over the years) do contribute, and some, well, end up not developing at all.

And incidentally, CVS is not known for letting players in her program play through mistakes.

I wasn't aware of any CVS mistakes---guess I'll get my meds from Walmart from now on!!
To be clear --I don't particularly favor "playing through mistakes"--a single mistake, or two semi minor mistakes--wait for a time out --then teach. Doing the same mistake over --pull her--then teach--but TEACH--in the moment and add to that in practice--of course this is assuming the game is still in Uconn's control--if not--teach in practice.

Reaction Score
Answer then there are players like Charde who got to play a lot bc the roster was thin, and yet she never got it.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I fully understand your "Stress" comment. Do you mean that trying to bring along players who don't have psychological tendencies to run to the front of the line--causes stress? Or the posting to the idea --a long bench won't allow that??
There will be 20 or more games where Uconn will be up by 30 at the half--allowing for 10 or 20 minutes to teach kids in a game situation without "hooking" them. Even without all the talent of this team--last year there were AT least 25 teaching games available.
Some will say they were taught in those games--but we saw freshmen -sophs screw up and immediately leave---that's the point of which I was speaking. Pull them explain what they should do, and re-insert them. (my personal view)
I knew what I meant when I wrote it, but don't recall. I think I was referring to the perplexing issue of, " with such depth of talent, who starts and who doesn't?" It is stressful to consider; "Dangerfield will have to come off the bench"; or, "what if Walker is another Maya Moore, who sits?" ; or "is Azura going to be better than Gabby", etc. It is not stressful to just wait and see who emerges, and how Geno manages this array of talent. What we see, come NCAA tournament time, will be a tribute to Geno and his staff as well as the players. I am pretty certain, barring catastrophic injuries, we fans are going to be really pleased. I live in LA now and cannot wait to get tickets to Nov. 21 game at UCLA.

Reaction Score
I knew what I meant when I wrote it, but don't recall. I think I was referring to the perplexing issue of, " with such depth of talent, who starts and who doesn't?" It is stressful to consider; "Dangerfield will have to come off the bench"; or, "what if Walker is another Maya Moore, who sits?" ; or "is Azura going to be better than Gabby", etc. It is not stressful to just wait and see who emerges, and how Geno manages this array of talent. What we see, come NCAA tournament time, will be a tribute to Geno and his staff as well as the players. I am pretty certain, barring catastrophic injuries, we fans are going to be really pleased. I live in LA now and cannot wait to get tickets to Nov. 21 game at UCLA.

Another baffling posting from you. None of the quotes were in my reference quote. Most of them if not all did I ever make.
I'm happy I'm not the only one that has no Idea what a posting was all about.
I find in old postings of mine--I can argue both or many sides of Uconn arguments--and lose most of them.

Reaction Score
Answer then there are players like Charde who got to play a lot bc the roster was thin, and yet she never got it.
\

Thank you , I thought I was the only one who remembered --the multiple issues Geno had with Charde and benched her only to play her when he had no scoring on his team, save Charde. I understood his frustration--but being a purist (for all except me) I was a bit put out when Geno violated his own edicts of not playing if you don't practice hard or don't play tough defense--originally Charde did neither--and yet played. It was a love - hate relationship--Geno loved to hate what she did.
Charde should have changed her last name to Walker---she couldn't score without walking.
She did well in the pro's, they get away with walking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom