Disappointed and Frustrated | The Boneyard

Disappointed and Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Many of us are disappointed and frustrated because of what couldve been. What a game. We had it in our grasps quite a few times but just couldnt cash in. I will disagree with some. Uconn had the lead and control of the game for most of the game. At the end of regulation the calls seemed to all go to ND. UConn imo earned the win in regualtion and it was taken away from them by the refs. Still we shouldve won the game, found a way to win the game. The Stef fouls number 2 and number 5 were terrible. But still we had our chance to win the game and we blew it at the foul line and 30+ turnovers didnt help either. We had the wrong kids on the line when the game was on the line. Then again Stef and Bria were on the bench so we had to play the freshman and this time they didnt respond. It reminded me of Diana in the FF againest ND when she shot 1/15. So yes there is still hope.

ND has some great guards. Diggins as much as you hate her can control a game and make things happen. McBride can score and Lloyd is a great defender. As great as Lloyd is as a defender KML got over 20 pts shooting 50%.

Yes the refs made some calls on Stef that were terrible but we had alot of chances to win the game and didnt. With Stef and Bria on the bench we had a 6 pt lead in OT and blew it. In the second OT we had the lead and blew it. We will grow and learn from this. You must fail numerous times before you learn how to win. Last nite was a step in the right direction.

Bottom line is UConn made 30+ turnovers and missed a bunch of foul shots and still couldve won the game. Correction we shouldve won the game. Good news there will be a next time and most likely another next time in the FF. Lets see how much we have grown up.

Reaction Score
Many of us are disappointed and frustrated because of what couldve been. What a game. We had it in our grasps quite a few times but just couldnt cash in. I will disagree with some. Uconn had the lead and control of the game for most of the game. At the end of regulation the calls seemed to all go to ND. UConn imo earned the win in regualtion and it was taken away from them by the refs. Still we shouldve won the game, found a way to win the game. The Stef fouls number 2 and number 5 were terrible. But still we had our chance to win the game and we blew it at the foul line and 30+ turnovers didnt help either. We had the wrong kids on the line when the game was on the line. Then again Stef and Bria were on the bench so we had to play the freshman and this time they didnt respond. It reminded me of Diana in the FF againest ND when she shot 1/15. So yes there is still hope.

ND has some great guards. Diggins as much as you hate her can control a game and make things happen. McBride can score and Lloyd is a great defender. As great as Lloyd is as a defender KML got over 20 pts shooting 50%.

Yes the refs made some calls on Stef that were terrible but we had alot of chances to win the game and didnt. With Stef and Bria on the bench we had a 6 pt lead in OT and blew it. In the second OT we had the lead and blew it. We will grow and learn from this.

Bottom line is UConn made 30+ turnovers and missed a bunch of foul shots and still couldve won the game. Correction we shouldve won the game. Good news there will be a next time and most likely another next time in the FF. Lets see how much we have grown up.
They will need to find another way to play. It's pretty obvious ND has their number with whatever they've been doing.

Reaction Score

Yes the refs made some calls on Stef that were terrible but we had alot of chances to win the game and didnt. With Stef and Bria on the bench we had a 6 pt lead in OT and blew it. In the second OT we had the lead and blew it. We will grow and learn from this.

Good analysis.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ND is dangling on a thinner and thinner thread. Two games in a row one they win by one the second it takes them 3 OTs to put our team away. Both games we have a lot more we can clean up than they do. Their time is limited.

Reaction Score
ND is dangling on a thinner and thinner thread. Two games in a row one they win by one the second it takes them 3 OTs to put our team away. Both games we have a lot more we can clean up than they do. Their time is limited.
The question is which direction are we going. We're now up to 35 turnovers in a single game. If we could play better, why don't we?

Reaction Score
At the end of one of the overtimes UCONN was called with like three or four charges in a row. Were they all charges? Don't those add to the turnover total. I question if they were even charges.....

Reaction Score
It was recently posted somewhere, either by a BYer, or, perhaps, in a journalist's link, that Skylar Diggins challenged her team, back when UCONN could take beating ND for granted, "when are we going to get tired of losing to them (meaning us)?"

Diggins could pose that challenge because ND had the athletes to play us close, and, with added determination, greater confidence and situational awareness, to win if they were close and time was running out. Scenarios like that are mental in nature as much as they are physical and athletic. ND has the mental edge. UCONN must work on that.

Once the nature of the ND advantage is recognized, there's less need to feel frustrated and disappointed. We cannot blame ND for correctly identifying and then accurately utilizing the mental factor.

Yogi Berra said it best. "[Basket]ball is 90%, half mental."

This mental acumen is draining. Teams have to be taught to summon up the extra energy it takes to punch through to the next higher 'will-to-win' level. Being made to run a few more gassers in practice and endure a few more coaching harangues are time honored techniques for achieving mental toughness. There are many more.

I wonder what additional factors for forging a greater 'will to win' could be considered by us fans? This might not help the team that much, but it could assist us in feeling useful, rather than hurt by a loss that could have been a win.

After all, we aim for a couple of tournament championships in the coming weeks, right?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We couldve wouldve shouldve won the game regardless of how many mistakes we made. 30+ turnovers and missing all those foul shots and you know what we win the game going away. Its a team game, and you cant blame one player or coach. We win and lose as a team and every game somebody does something wrong and something right. Ben Franklin failed 10,000 times to discover electricity and on the 10,001 time he found it.

HGN

Reaction Score
I agree with TonyC.........But more to the point, and facts, UConn has become a Front-Runner team. As long as we have a BIG lead (20+) we continue to pour it on and play with much Confidence....... As Front Runners we are unbeatable. But in Crunch-Time ( the last 3-5 mins of the game ) we make bad decisions down the stretch ; make too many turnovers ; bad shot selections ; miss too many free throws, etc...We find a way to keep the other team in the game. All the other team has to do is keep the pressure on and hang around and we will crack. And thats when we lose. Not being a good Crunch Time team. Good Crunch-Time teams find a way to win and we don't do that. We don't play with that same Front Runner confidence. And that could hurt us in the upcoming NCAA Tournament. Just look at our last 10 losses over the past 3 seasons. In most of those games we had the lead coming down the stretch , and ended up losing. Not because we didn't have the talent , but because we didn't do what good Crunch-Time teams do ( make free throws ; take care of the ball and get good looks at the basket ; play good defense). Our losses to Baylor , ND , and Stanford , happened in Crunch Time. We didn't get blown out , it was the last 3-5 minutes of the game. We were right there , but couldn't , or didn't , close the deal. Any time we have the lead in one of our games and it is within 5-10 points with 3 minutes left , I get nervous. Because I know that we are not a Crunch-Time deal closer....We are Front Runners.

Reaction Score
Icebear, thanks for your positive comments. I see it the same way. What kills me was at the end of regulation, even after missing the free throws. they come down with 4 or 5 secs. left and McBride throws up that long 3 pointer. It hits the front of the rim, and bounces high as can go and down thru the net. I mean, how lucky can you get. I told my wife I did not think the refs would let us win there, especially after that screen call against Stef. We let 'em off the hook, but we will get 'em next time.

Reaction Score
if we're this frustrated and dissapointed.....think about how our players feel. I felt bad watching Kelly and Kaleena last night at the post game, the look on Kelly's face was enough for me.

Wish we could've won but we didn't, moving on to the Big East Tournament.....go UConn.

Reaction Score
I agree with TonyC.........But more to the point, and facts, UConn has become a Front-Runner team. As long as we have a BIG lead (20+) we continue to pour it on and play with much Confidence....... As Front Runners we are unbeatable. But in Crunch-Time ( the last 3-5 mins of the game ) we make bad decisions down the stretch ; make too many turnovers ; bad shot selections ; miss too many free throws, etc...We find a way to keep the other team in the game. All the other team has to do is keep the pressure on and hang around and we will crack. And thats when we lose. Not being a good Crunch Time team. Good Crunch-Time teams find a way to win and we don't do that. We don't play with that same Front Runner confidence. And that could hurt us in the upcoming NCAA Tournament. Just look at our last 10 losses over the past 3 seasons. In most of those games we had the lead coming down the stretch , and ended up losing. Not because we didn't have the talent , but because we didn't do what good Crunch-Time teams do ( make free throws ; take care of the ball and get good looks at the basket ; play good defense). Our losses to Baylor , ND , and Stanford , happened in Crunch Time. We didn't get blown out , it was the last 3-5 minutes of the game. We were right there , but couldn't , or didn't , close the deal. Any time we have the lead in one of our games and it is within 5-10 points with 3 minutes left , I get nervous. Because I know that we are not a Crunch-Time deal closer....We are Front Runners.

I detect "frustration and disappointment" in the way in which the above good post is expressed. I say that because it sounds like being a "front runner" is bad. It's not. It is a good thing to be able to win most games easily. Doing so is a testament to talent.

Most benefits and most advantages bring along with them some kind of burden or some sort of disadvantage. Winning easily does not provide a team with the experience of being pressured when time is short and the other team is determined, squared up and ready to play hard, bump, push and scratch out a win. It's hard to coach scenarios that don't often play out in game situations.

But hey, guess what. UCONN has had 3 such events thus season. I think it fair to say they get it now.

Look for a different outcome the next time it happens. They now know they have to be athletic, smart, tough and unwilling to take "no" for an answer when the game is close and the other team has the nerve to want to win.

Imagine that, there are some other teams out there who want to win against us and are willing to push hard to do so.

The attitude has to be:

"So sorry, you other young ladies, you may not win, thank you very much, have a nice day, enjoy your lunch, but not my lunch, and yes, you may take a picture with my trophy and we'll keep in touch on Facebook and we can be friends for life."

One or two four letter words and a five letter one here or there convey the same sentiment I am trying to impart here, but I prefer not to put it that way as I would rather not get admonished.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

Yes the refs made some calls on Stef that were terrible but we had alot of chances to win the game and didnt. With Stef and Bria on the bench we had a 6 pt lead in OT and blew it. In the second OT we had the lead and blew it. We will grow and learn from this. You must fail numerous times before you learn how to win. Last nite was a step in the right direction.

Thank you Tony, I think that this is a great post. I do not agree completely with the ref points, however for the most part what you have written rings so completely true. It is an honest, positive message worthy of UConn and the Boneyard fans.

Reaction Score
I hope for nothing buy good for this team, but I really think that games like this can do one of two things, or maybe both at once. Yes they may make the team stronger as it learns from its mistakes (and Lord knows there were plenty of them). But I'm afraid it also exposed UConn's guard play at this level. They do not have the people they need to bring the ball down the court without error. As someone else previously posted, they are front-runners, in that they can play well up to a certain level. But we may have to face the fact that above that certain level -- where the top two teams in women's basketball reside this year -- they just may not be able to make it. You would think that after the first ND game, Geno would have the guards ready to perform, because they certainly knew what was coming. But they were worse in this game. Doty was very disappointing, making mistakes a sophomore shouldn't make. And I won't say more about Hartley, because it probably would be piling on.

Anyway, let's hope they get it together before the end of the BE tournament.

JS

Reaction Score
Given that the by-one was at UConn and then the 3 OTs on ND's court, and that star-wise UConn is the younger team, I had the same thoughts as to the trend line. Even Houdini couldn't pull off his escapes and tricks forever, and so it will be for ND in the UConn match-up.

For UConn, these frustrating close ND games are just down to some lack of concentration at crucial times and a few bounces one way or the other. Last fall, we all saw the potential for this team to get stronger late in the season and have a real shot, probably against Baylor.

Credit ND for its surprising strength after senior losses, but I still think that's the case. My thought after last night was that we just saw ND's final high water mark in its Diggins-era trend against UConn. Don't see her going out a winner in that rivalry assuming they meet once or twice more.

Reaction Score
Given that the by-one was at UConn and then the 3 OTs on ND's court, and that star-wise UConn is the younger team, I had the same thoughts as to the trend line. Even Houdini couldn't pull off his escapes and tricks forever, and so it will be for ND in the UConn match-up.

For UConn, these frustrating close ND games are just down to some lack of concentration at crucial times and a few bounces one way or the other. Last fall, we all saw the potential for this team to get stronger late in the season and have a real shot, probably against Baylor.

Credit ND for its surprising strength after senior losses, but I still think that's the case. My thought after last night was that we just saw ND's final high water mark in its Diggins-era trend against UConn. Don't see her going out a winner in that rivalry assuming they meet once or twice more.

Best post I've read on this game...I saw a game we had an excellent chance to win...and one in which a number of players showed significant improvement. I feel much better about our chances in the Final Four after this game than before it. And let's give Diggins, and especially Kayla McBride, their due...that was as good an example of clutch basketball as you'll ever see...I can't imagine ESPN ever getting a better product than UCONN vs Notre Dame...instant classic!

Reaction Score
let's give Diggins, and especially Kayla McBride, their due...that was as good an example of clutch basketball you'll ever see...I can't imagine ESPN ever getting a better product than UCONN vs Notre Dame...instant classic!

+1 Agreed. An excellent game, great TV product, lots of drama. Games between the #2 and # 3 teams in the country, the top two teams in a conference, are supposed to be compellingly close.

UConn played extremely well in the overtimes without Dolson and Hartley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom