DiMauro: Stewie coming of age | The Boneyard

DiMauro: Stewie coming of age

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Some wonderful quotes, particularly CD when talking about Stewie's struggles last year and how important it was for Stewie to be the one to ask for help from CD. It provides insight on why this staff is so good.

http://www.theday.com/article/20140329/SPORT01/303299949

So what is Stewie's level of stubborn?

"It was more evident last year," associate coach Chris Dailey said. "We see her ability and all that she can do. When she's not pushing herself to do those things at that level, we call that stubborn. I think we're allowed. She has said she wants to be great. Once you say that, you give us permission to identify and harp on all the things we know you have the capability to do in order to be considered great."

Dailey said Friday: "I may have thought she needed the help. But we were trying to give her that balance. From August, we tried to talk with her about how people were going to play her and the expectations from your reputation coming in. But until you live it, you're not ready for it. Until you live it, understand it and embrace it, that's when you can move forward."

Think about the context. The Huskies dared lose games last regular season - gasp - twice to Notre Dame and once to Baylor. Stewart was nonexistent in the Baylor game. And yet Dailey resisted the temptation to order Stewart into the gym, recognizing the inherent differences in personalities: Some players need a pat on the back. Some need a kick in the ascot.

"It's like anything," Dailey said. "When you decide to lose weight or decide to do certain things, once it becomes your own, it's everything you want it to be. I felt like I wanted it to be from her so that it was real and it would continue as opposed to 'meet me in the gym' and it's punishment."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stewie comes out to dominate most games. In the Cal game at MSG, the rest of the team struggled early on, but Stewie was great. If she can do that consistently, she will be an iconic player. In the short run, I'm hoping for 4 more performances like that. She's so good and so versatile that the opposition really worries about her, which opens things up for our other 4 AA-level players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32
Top Bottom