DiMauro declares that Flipper had NOTHING to do with ACC not inviting UConn | The Boneyard

DiMauro declares that Flipper had NOTHING to do with ACC not inviting UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He referenced "A Jersey Guy", guess he didnt read the interview with the former Commish of the BE

Reaction Score
DiMauro obviously has used his BCU education to reach the heights of print journalism. Does anyone believe his drivel?

Reaction Score
TOOL_poster_by_dannlord.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Much of the hostility would be centered around BC's move to the ACC - they just can't let it go here - and how DeFilippo was the point man in preventing UConn from joining. Not buying it. Never did. Public opinion in Connecticut paints BC as an afterthought in the ACC. Yet its athletic director wields a certain power? Seems counterintuitive.
BC never prevented UConn from becoming part of the ACC because the ACC has never clamored for UConn.

This contrary to what people who were in room said happened but Mike can feel free not to believe it. GDF had an opportunity to black ball UConn because he was a part of a small group that had to make a quick decision, not because he secretly was pulling Swofford's strings behind the scenes. Often people in fairly lowly positions can hurt you. Need to miss a mortgage payment (or switch to prinicpal only for a month or two) it's best not call up and cuss out the rep you talk to on the phone. Does that make them hugely powerful within the company? No, they are just in the right place at the right time, just as GDF was. It's been pretty widely reported that UConn was the ACC's choice, along with Cuse, Pitt was the consolation prize.

Other than that, he makes a good point. We desparately need a rivalry game and Snooki just ain't getting it done. BCU is the natural choice, however, I'd rather see a game with a revived UMass.

Reaction Score
The basic premise of the article is correct - a BC/UConn game would garner a lot of attention in New England. I would dub it the NorEaster in New England - last game of the year. Someday maybe UConn has a bad season at 1-10 but BCU is coming to town Dec 4 - something to play for - NorEaster in New England!

Reaction Score
That was a great column. He is right, NE college football is a snooze.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If I read that right (a few hours ago) he never mentioned Flipper blocking or not blocking. Just his opinion the ACC wasn't interested in UConn. No evidence cited.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We desparately need a rivalry game and Snooki just ain't getting it done. BCU is the natural choice, however, I'd rather see a game with a revived UMass.

How is Rutgers not been a rivalry game? Our runs to prominence in the Big East have coincided, the fanbases clash and the games have been pretty damn close nearly every year.

In addition to that, instead of playing Boston College every year in what would be probably the most exciting game to look forward to every year besides the Rutgers game, you'd rather play UMass? A team that just upgraded to FBS and plays in the MAC?

Not following you here!

Reaction Score
Other than that, he makes a good point. We desparately need a rivalry game and Snooki just ain't getting it done. BCU is the natural choice, however, I'd rather see a game with a revived UMass.
I agree about a revived series with UMass. UMass football will rise. If you all have not noticed yet, rednecks have an easy majority of the best football programs.

Reaction Score
Key quote from the article:

BC never prevented UConn from becoming part of the ACC because the ACC has never clamored for UConn.

Even though BC does not like UConn because of the lawsuit and not wanting a close rival if the case for adding UConn to the ACC had been compelling, and it wasn't and isn't, the ACC would have added UConn.

The ACC raided the BE for the best teams as far as value to the conference.

Reaction Score
If I read that right (a few hours ago) he never mentioned Flipper blocking or not blocking. Just his opinion the ACC wasn't interested in UConn. No evidence cited.

"Much of the hostility would be centered around BC's move to the ACC - they just can't let it go here - and how DeFilippo was the point man in preventing UConn from joining. Not buying it. Never did. Public opinion in Connecticut paints BC as an afterthought in the ACC. Yet its athletic director wields a certain power? Seems counterintuitive."

Not sure how the above quote could be called "never mentioned Flipper blocking or not blocking".

Reaction Score
Key quote from the article:

Even though BC does not like UConn because of the lawsuit and not wanting a close rival if the case for adding UConn to the ACC had been compelling, and it wasn't and isn't, the ACC would have added UConn.

The ACC raided the BE for the best teams as far as value to the conference.

You are correct, why bring in a school who actually has a recent BCS bowl football team and a powerhouse BB program. Maybe the Fruit will bring back Floyd Little and sPitt will bring back Dorsett. I understand wanting to give Duke, Maryland, Virginia, Miami, BCU some company in the 1 or 2 win group at the bottom of the ACC. Someone has to lose a lot of games so VT and FSU can go 7-1 in conference and have a bunch of 4-4 teams.

Hey, so the fruit, sPitt and BCU want to be tobacco road butt boys, to each his own.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
"Much of the hostility would be centered around BC's move to the ACC - they just can't let it go here - and how DeFilippo was the point man in preventing UConn from joining. Not buying it. Never did. Public opinion in Connecticut paints BC as an afterthought in the ACC. Yet its athletic director wields a certain power? Seems counterintuitive."

Not sure how the above quote could be called "never mentioned Flipper blocking or not blocking".
It's the writer's opinion that Defilippo didn't block UConn. He doesn't mention how he would have any knowledge of that being true. Then claims since UConn fans bust on BC as being an ACC lightweight, it can't be true that Defilippo had the power to block UConn. Maybe if he actually interviewed Defilippo for the record and quoted him, he could declare definitively that he had no role. Blaudson, who has been covering the BC programs for years, would be more authoritative on this point, rather than some underemployed BC grad toiling away in New London.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How is Rutgers not been a rivalry game? Our runs to prominence in the Big East have coincided, the fanbases clash and the games have been pretty damn close nearly every year.

In addition to that, instead of playing Boston College every year in what would be probably the most exciting game to look forward to every year besides the Rutgers game, you'd rather play UMass? A team that just upgraded to FBS and plays in the MAC?

Not following you here!

I live in New Jersey and even I find it hard to get rev'd up for RU. Yeah, I hate to lose to them, but the 'rivalry' lacks the vitriol and dislike that true rivalry has. Plus Snooki is inconsequential in MBB so no one give rat's ass about playing them. We are rivals of convenience because there is no one else who fits that description for either of us.

BCU, on the other hand, I can't stand. I'd look forward to stomping them annually. That could become a true rivalry over time and it would be good for both programs and New England sports in general. All things being equal, however, I'd rather have BCU be left on the outside looking in on our rivalry game with another opponent. That means that UMass (who else? PC? URI? Maine?) would have to succeed in big boy football and up their BB program. IF that happened that could be a rivalry based both on history and proximity.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
IIRC, most accounts I have read stated that UConn originally had more support than Pitt but that during the initial discussions about expansion De Fillippo was able to swing more support to Pitt. I'm not sure that UConn was ever actually "blocked".

Reaction Score
He's a maroon. DiMauro must have forgotten Flippers direct quote when Blaudschum interviewed him last October.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2011/10/09/power-move-acc/eoEsrFHtvEBZD6Y59nFxGM/story.html

from the Globe article:
While Syracuse presented no problem, UConn did — to BC, which was still fuming over what it perceived to be vitriolic comments made when BC was finally invited to join the ACC and started competing in 2005. UConn and Pittsburgh filed a lawsuit against BC, and Calhoun made comments about never playing BC again.
DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn.
“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’
Turning to Pittsburgh BC officials argued that Pittsburgh, with a stronger tradition in football, as well as a long-established — though dormant — rivalry with the Eagles, would be a better fit.
Although BC and UConn are the only FBS schools in New England, BC officials were reluctant to give UConn any more credence. Membership in the ACC would do that.
UConn had already reached milestones that BC had not - including national championships in men’s and women’s basketball and a BCS bid in football. And there was the lawsuit.
Duke and North Carolina, who have thrived as rivals and neighbors, didn’t quite understand the passion behind BC’s argument, but Pittsburgh seemed like a reasonable alternative. Under Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh had established itself as a national power in men’s basketball, so the Tobacco Road contingent didn’t argue. Calls were made and invitations were accepted

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I live in New Jersey and even I find it hard to get rev'd up for RU. Yeah, I hate to lose to them, but the 'rivalry' lacks the vitriol and dislike that true rivalry has. Plus Snooki is inconsequential in MBB so no one give rat's ass about playing them. We are rivals of convenience because there is no one else who fits that description for either of us.
A lot of the juice in the Rutgers/UConn football series left when Schiano did. He was such an easy target for hostility... he invited ridicule with the national championship rhetoric... and whatnot.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
He's a maroon. DiMauro must have forgotten Flippers direct quote when Blaudschum interviewed him last October.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2011/10/09/power-move-acc/eoEsrFHtvEBZD6Y59nFxGM/story.html

from the Globe article:
While Syracuse presented no problem, UConn did — to BC, which was still fuming over what it perceived to be vitriolic comments made when BC was finally invited to join the ACC and started competing in 2005. UConn and Pittsburgh filed a lawsuit against BC, and Calhoun made comments about never playing BC again.
DeFilippo does not deny that BC opposed the inclusion of UConn.
“We didn’t want them in,’’ he said. “It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team.’’
Turning to Pittsburgh BC officials argued that Pittsburgh, with a stronger tradition in football, as well as a long-established — though dormant — rivalry with the Eagles, would be a better fit.
Although BC and UConn are the only FBS schools in New England, BC officials were reluctant to give UConn any more credence. Membership in the ACC would do that.
UConn had already reached milestones that BC had not - including national championships in men’s and women’s basketball and a BCS bid in football. And there was the lawsuit.
Duke and North Carolina, who have thrived as rivals and neighbors, didn’t quite understand the passion behind BC’s argument, but Pittsburgh seemed like a reasonable alternative. Under Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh had established itself as a national power in men’s basketball, so the Tobacco Road contingent didn’t argue. Calls were made and invitations were accepted

SAMCRO, the funny thing is that no matter how many times people like you or I post this, there are those out there, and even here on the Boneyard, who just refuse to believe it. It still boggles my mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom