Different Coaching Visions | The Boneyard

Different Coaching Visions

Reaction Score
Watching the Tenn-Vandy game is a stark reminder of different coaching visions.

Basketball is an incredibly complex game of practically unlimited possible actions and reactions (which is why I get so impatient with critics of UConn play: basketball is a really, really hard sport to play well consistently).

Tenn trots up the court, runs set plays, and reacts (sort of, sometimes) when the ball doesn't go in. In different ways, most coaches teach this. They don't ultimately trust their players' athletic instincts or intelligence. That's because those coaches don't really trust themselves either. They are people of limited vision. People of narrow vision aren't less successful in life or less happy personally. But they do impose more control on others around them.

What Geno & Co (and some other coaches, like Muffet) do is trust themselves to trust their players. Which is why Geno always talks about trust. But you can't just trust your players in a game of limitless possible decisions. So it's drill, drill, drill and reduce the infinite to a series of finite responses. Despite the incredibly complex nature of basketball, in the end there are only so many usual situations and so many ways to react to those situations. If you practice enough, you can generally (not always) react (as in UConn's read-and-react) in one of a couple of ways that gives you a reasonably good chance of getting a high percentage shot. We witnessed a clinic against USF. But what's a "clinic"? It's teaching responses to common situations. And I wager that none of the breathtaking passes last night hadn't already been done many times in practice. What looks spontaneous is the result of an incredible amount of disciplined drill. Ironically, trusting coaches indirectly impose even more control over their players. Very sneaky!

Limited vision coaches can certainly succeed if they have a advantage (in basketball, that usually means height). They can systematically leverage that advantage, though, because they are conservative, they are prone to the clever counter-attack (what North Carolina did to Wilt Chamberlin in the 57 men's NC). Trusting coaches of greater vision adjust better to changing conditions (Geno vs. Pat). I don't exactly know their downside. I do suspect they have more fun in life, and certainly it is a lot, lot more fun to be a fan of their teams!

Reaction Score
Watching the Tenn-Vandy game is a stark reminder of different coaching visions.

Basketball is an incredibly complex game of practically unlimited possible actions and reactions (which is why I get so impatient with critics of UConn play: basketball is a really, really hard sport to play well consistently).

Tenn trots up the court, runs set plays, and reacts (sort of, sometimes) when the ball doesn't go in. In different ways, most coaches teach this. They don't ultimately trust their players' athletic instincts or intelligence. That's because those coaches don't really trust themselves either. They are people of limited vision. People of narrow vision aren't less successful in life or less happy personally. But they do impose more control on others around them.

What Geno & Co (and some other coaches, like Muffet) do is trust themselves to trust their players. Which is why Geno always talks about trust. But you can't just trust your players in a game of limitless possible decisions. So it's drill, drill, drill and reduce the infinite to a series of finite responses. Despite the incredibly complex nature of basketball, in the end there are only so many usual situations and so many ways to react to those situations. If you practice enough, you can generally (not always) react (as in UConn's read-and-react) in one of a couple of ways that gives you a reasonably good chance of getting a high percentage shot. We witnessed a clinic against USF. But what's a "clinic"? It's teaching responses to common situations. And I wager that none of the breathtaking passes last night hadn't already been done many times in practice. What looks spontaneous is the result of an incredible amount of disciplined drill. Ironically, trusting coaches indirectly impose even more control over their players. Very sneaky!

Limited vision coaches can certainly succeed if they have a advantage (in basketball, that usually means height). They can systematically leverage that advantage, though, because they are conservative, they are prone to the clever counter-attack (what North Carolina did to Wilt Chamberlin in the 57 men's NC). Trusting coaches of greater vision adjust better to changing conditions (Geno vs. Pat). I don't exactly know their downside. I do suspect they have more fun in life, and certainly it is a lot, lot more fun to be a fan of their teams!

Your Para---

The "What Geno & Co---paragraph is excellent. I particularly like : and reduce the infinite to a series of finite responses. To me as a young man --when handed a new project--scared to death --I learned start somewhere and chip away--soon you find the light in the tunnel.

As an Educator you don't start teaching Math with Calculus. John Wooden, an English Professor, taught Basketball in tiny pieces then put the building blocks into many assorted assemblies.

I think you are a bit harsh on some coaches. Obviously, some are lazy but those should get tossed upon recognition. Then you have a bit more than adequate the Duke comes to mind.
I keep saying, half joking, doing the Geno thing is EASY--but it isn't. You are right Muffet is by far the second to Geno. However the Miss St coach, Texas, Baylor, USF, Okla Coaches are more than good---and most have been in the top 10 for many years--that's no easy task, with 350 schools to complete with. Some coaches make me wonder--like Q, Harry P, Doug B --I like em all, each has some success but none close to Geno

Connecticut as a State has lacked professional sports and in the College level Football (except Yale) has not been something to draw Ct fans. So Basketball became the Ct sport. I know HS's (not mine) had big time FB teams and followers. When Geno came along, and won, he had a base drooling for good basketball.

Bags I don't know if you saw Geno's BB video, for middle school girls, everything Geno does is shown in that Video, on basic fundamentals. I'm sure the Frosh spend weeks on passing drills, they don't come in with the skills Geno demands.

Reaction Score
“Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval. Two ten: U.S. Government certified. Two twenty: lunar trajectory, junk of the month club, sirloin steak. Two thirty: Grade A poison. Absolute dynamite. 89% pure junk. Best I've ever seen. If the rest is like this, you'll be dealing on this load for two years.”

Reaction Score
I will not and could not take anything away from bags post or Broadways follow up. Would just like to add recruiting as one of Geno's finer talents. As noted it is drill, drill, drill here and not all can take it or make it. For the most part he finds those that embrace the concept. This along with CD's this is how we live off the court mothering. Agree with Broadway on the good coaches mentioned and a longer list, but I wonder how many of them would let a McDonald's AA, two time player of the state go elsewhere without even an offer?
He saw what they did not or what they thought they could change. Geno's talent of player evaluation is as uncanny as is his ability to take a decent player and make them a great player.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A post game quote from Stephanie White.
On scouting versus playing Tennessee:

"I don't know that it changed other than the fact that they look big on film, but they look really big in person. When you have a group of freshmen like they have, that are so poised… I'm sure Holly (Warlick) doesn't always think that, but when you watch them from the outside, they just play with a maturity level that you don't see amongst freshmen. They're all very talented. Then, you have Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russellthat are those anchors that really help them from a leadership standpoint, that help them in time and score situations, that help them when teams are making runs. They're a complete team. Their returning players all got better, and their freshmen are coming in and making impacts. This is a team that can compete for a national championship, there's no doubt about it."

Reaction Score
Your Para---

The "What Geno & Co---paragraph is excellent. I particularly like : and reduce the infinite to a series of finite responses. To me as a young man --when handed a new project--scared to death --I learned start somewhere and chip away--soon you find the light in the tunnel.

As an Educator you don't start teaching Math with Calculus. John Wooden, an English Professor, taught Basketball in tiny pieces then put the building blocks into many assorted assemblies.

I think you are a bit harsh on some coaches. Obviously, some are lazy but those should get tossed upon recognition. Then you have a bit more than adequate the Duke comes to mind.
I keep saying, half joking, doing the Geno thing is EASY--but it isn't. You are right Muffet is by far the second to Geno. However the Miss St coach, Texas, Baylor, USF, Okla Coaches are more than good---and most have been in the top 10 for many years--that's no easy task, with 350 schools to complete with. Some coaches make me wonder--like Q, Harry P, Doug B --I like em all, each has some success but none close to Geno

Connecticut as a State has lacked professional sports and in the College level Football (except Yale) has not been something to draw Ct fans. So Basketball became the Ct sport. I know HS's (not mine) had big time FB teams and followers. When Geno came along, and won, he had a base drooling for good basketball.

Bags I don't know if you saw Geno's BB video, for middle school girls, everything Geno does is shown in that Video, on basic fundamentals. I'm sure the Frosh spend weeks on passing drills, they don't come in with the skills Geno demands.

I might have asked this before. Not sure. Why cannot the girls learn passing before coming to UConn?
Ditto for defense.
My son played competitive soccer. The better teams have a pass based offense and very tough defense.

Reaction Score
A post game quote from Stephanie White.
On scouting versus playing Tennessee:

"I don't know that it changed other than the fact that they look big on film, but they look really big in person. When you have a group of freshmen like they have, that are so poised… I'm sure Holly (Warlick) doesn't always think that, but when you watch them from the outside, they just play with a maturity level that you don't see amongst freshmen. They're all very talented. Then, you have Jaime Nared and Mercedes Russellthat are those anchors that really help them from a leadership standpoint, that help them in time and score situations, that help them when teams are making runs. They're a complete team. Their returning players all got better, and their freshmen are coming in and making impacts. This is a team that can compete for a national championship, there's no doubt about it."

I hope Теннесси beats Vandy on 2/4 and Stephanie White says:

This is a team that can compete for a WNBA championship, there's no doubt about it.;)

Reaction Score
I might have asked this before. Not sure. Why cannot the girls learn passing before coming to UConn?
Ditto for defense.
My son played competitive soccer. The better teams have a pass based offense and very tough defense.
They can and some do but you have to admit Geno's passing is WAY above the average, defense too.
I don't watch much College Mens games any more --but did today: Mich/Oh--Passing apparently is a lost art. One pass and drive or shoot. A very boring game for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom