Didn't renew my WNBA All-Access this year... | The Boneyard

Didn't renew my WNBA All-Access this year...

Reaction Score
I had to change my card so they couldn't automatically charge it. I didn't really like them doing that anyway.

Seeing Megan Gustafson get the shaft has soured me on watching as much WNBA BB as I would have if she made a team. Nothing against the other players I like that made their teams. For now I'll just watch the free games on DirecTV.

I think Megan would've added a lot more All-Access viewers and also boosted the actual attendance of games she played in. They really need to raise roster numbers for each team. There's too many good players in WCBB these days.

Reaction Score
attendance is way down, and the liberty just moved from msg to some small arena. Not looking good I feel for the future of wnba, does not help when players say that the salaries are bad and go overseas to ge tmore.

Reaction Score
attendance is way down, and the liberty just moved from msg to some small arena. Not looking good I feel for the future of wnba, does not help when players say that the salaries are bad and go overseas to ge tmore.
I can see overseas getting TV deals in the future. Especially if the WNBA goes to the ground.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There is absolutely nothing new in WNBA players going overseas in the winter and making most of their income in the overseas leagues. It's almost a news story when a player like Kara Lawson or Chiney does NOT do that.

However, that doesn't mean that the WNBA is superfluous, especially for younger players trying to establish their credentials. There is nothing better than good stats in the WNBA (still the best league in the world as far as basketball competitiveness is concerned) to convince an overseas franchise that you are worth a spot on their roster with a handsome salary.

The future trend may be for players in their late 20's who are already established internationally to play only overseas or play sparingly in the WNBA, but younger players will (for the foreseeable future) always need to play there to establish themselves.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Overall attendance was down last year essentially BECAUSE the Liberty moved to a tiny, inaccessible arena. The Liberty alone went down several thousand per game in attendance.

The new owner, Joe Tsai, is part owner of the Nets and has arranged for two games at Barclay's Center this year. According to this article by Howard Megdal, he intends to be majority owner of both the Nets and Barclay's Center by 2021. That would likely mean a full-time move to Barclay's Center for the Liberty.

By the way, tv ratings for the season opener were up.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I had to change my card so they couldn't automatically charge it. I didn't really like them doing that anyway.

Seeing Megan Gustafson get the shaft has soured me on watching as much WNBA BB as I would have if she made a team. Nothing against the other players I like that made their teams. For now I'll just watch the free games on DirecTV.

I think Megan would've added a lot more All-Access viewers and also boosted the actual attendance of games she played in. They really need to raise roster numbers for each team. There's too many good players in WCBB these days.

I feel like this tells me more about you as a women's basketball fan than it does about the WNBA.

There are only 144 roster spots and she was trying to learn a completely new position to her (and she doesn't have Phee's athleticism to pick it up in two months). The style of play she excelled with at Iowa won't make her successful in the WNBA -- she's just too small. Hopefully she puts her money where her mouth is and turns up next year having made the transition.

In the mean time, spit out those sour grapes and just enjoy the season.

Reaction Score
This sort of ties in why it is important for players to go to programs where they will have the opportunity to play and develop skills for the positions they are projected to play in the Pro's. If they have professional aims they need to keep that in mind. This same thing happens to tweeners coming out of high school going to the next level. You find 6' and 6;1" post players who dominated in high school suddenly not playing in college.

Reaction Score
I feel like this tells me more about you as a women's basketball fan than it does about the WNBA.

There are only 144 roster spots and she was trying to learn a completely new position to her (and she doesn't have Phee's athleticism to pick it up in two months). The style of play she excelled with at Iowa won't make her successful in the WNBA -- she's just too small. Hopefully she puts her money where her mouth is and turns up next year having made the transition.

In the mean time, spit out those sour grapes and just enjoy the season.
You probably don't know what you're talking about. I'll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
This sort of ties in why it is important for players to go to programs where they will have the opportunity to play and develop skills for the positions they are projected to play in the Pro's. If they have professional aims they need to keep that in mind. This same thing happens to tweeners coming out of high school going to the next level. You find 6' and 6;1" post players who dominated in high school suddenly not playing in college.
Oh, that makes a lot of sense.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Now I just need WNBA to put a League Pass app on Roku. Then we'll be good ...

Reaction Score
I'll bet the WNBA made and will make a lot of money by Dallas having Megan Gustafson on the team. Probably has a couple more thousand viewers of the games on tv and at least a thousand more League Pass subscribers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wanted to see the end of the Chi / Seattle game on League Pass but the replay skipped from 3' left and Chi up 74-72 to 10'' left and Seattle up 79-76. Saw the DD miss but come one, get the technical difficulties fixed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom