Did Tough Love Work With Megan Walker? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Did Tough Love Work With Megan Walker?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I agree but I also think when your bench see's players getting beat up and now are the walking wounded (or needing to sit out), they more clearly sense the urgency and how important is to be part of the solution and not add to the problems.

View attachment 27947

Yup. A far better reason. But never underestimate fear either. After all it is fear of failure which Geno says drove him to where he is.

Reaction Score
Walker has had some great moments in other games....in my mind she just needs consistent court time with the starters to show her stuff......if she gets pulled every time she makes a mistake it will seriously stunt her growth.....if she gets 20-25 minutes a game she'll show her true value to the team

And that was the key yesterday. Megan came in and made a couple of mistakes in her first minute or two. Geno kept her on the court and she responded.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I used to think it was important to point out other's spelling errors but I generally tried to avoid that; maybe because my own typing is becoming sloppy so I'm probably guilty myself, but I do think it's polite and respectful to spell players names correctly. My guess is no one disagrees, although it might have been nice if there were a gentler way to point it out.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
if there were a gentler way to point it out.

"Hey look, a name splat!" Then chose one:

stock-vector-creation-set-of-teddy-bear-emoji-characters-with-different-emotions-631513199.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
And that was the key yesterday. Megan came in and made a couple of mistakes in her first minute or two. Geno kept her on the court and she responded.

Geno commented it is not so much the production that he is looking for (although it is nice when it comes) but the look in a players eye that she belongs on the court and is excited about what she will do and not afraid of what she wont do.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This is a basketball thread but if you really fell you should correct someones spelling. You might want to proof read what you wrote because you clearly dont have A clue!!
That is hilarious! All this casting of stones and glass houses are wasting our short supply of old saws,or is it olde sawz?

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Tell me we're not buying this rags to riches tale.

OR, to put it another way: From "total crap" last game to "she's turned the corner" this game.

Seriously - COME ON!!!!!!

The facts are the same every year:
1) From day one, Geno tears down the NPOY Freshman.
2) She apparently can't seem to do anything right; can't make a layup; defense NAH; afraid to shoot; rebounding EH; etc..
3) Our NPOY freshman is slowly regressing to the almost breaking point and Geno is particularly scathing in January.
3) Then suddenly, turns the corner and to our great relief - can now be trusted to provide significant contributions ever more.

Surely, we're not buying this.

I predicted this exact scenario two weeks ago and presto the turning point is here. AND now, we have the requisite 7 to make the NC run.

I love Geno and how he has nurtured this mystique that is UCONN Basketball.

As a fan: It can make you nuts; It can make you smile....

Reaction Score
This is a basketball thread but if you really fell you should correct someones spelling. You might want to proof read what you wrote because you clearly dont have A clue!!

Hmm, I really do "fell" (as you put it) it necessary to correct an individual who repeatedly misspells a players name! How can someone comment on a UConn player and not know how to spell her name? Once would be considered a typo, twice (and more) is inexcusable for the reason previously posted.

I'll take that to heart, Humbell...

Very good NoTrickPony, glad you consider it a lesson learned.

Reaction Score

OR, to put it another way: From "total crap" last game to "she's turned the corner" this game.

2) She apparently can't seem to do anything right; can't make a layup; defense NAH; afraid to shoot; rebounding EH; etc..
3) Our NPOY freshman is slowly regressing to the almost breaking point and Geno is particularly scathing in January.
3) Then suddenly, turns the corner and to our great relief - can now be trusted to provide significant contributions ever more.

I predicted this exact scenario two weeks ago and presto the turning point is here. AND now, we have the requisite 7 to make the NC run.

What a coincidence. When all the requisite, public “tough love” wasn’t getting the desired results, all it took was a long, private talk with the kid to produce a miraculous turnaround. What took so long?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Hmm, I really do "fell" (as you put it) it necessary to correct an individual who repeatedly misspells a players name! How can someone comment on a UConn player and not know how to spell her name? Once would be considered a typo, twice (and more) is inexcusable for the reason previously posted.

This is just getting crazy! Maybe you need to take another bite of that pie and calm down.

Reaction Score

None of it is a big deal because it is a basketball thread. For 2 years I coached 4 girls with the first name Megan spelt 3 different ways. When I had them on the court together at practice scrimmaging. I would call out their first name and they all would stop playing and turn around and look at me, LOL! Until they realized when I said their last names that they knew I was serious. It helped lighten the mood when practice was to tough on them. About 5 people on the BY still call Kyla Irwin, Kayla and everyone knows who they are talking about. It is not a big deal!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
None of it is a big deal because it is a basketball thread. For 2 years I coached 4 girls with the first name Megan spelt 3 different ways. When I had them on the court together at practice scrimmaging. I would call out their first name and they all would stop playing and turn around and look at me, LOL! Until they realized when I said their last names that they knew I was serious. It helped lighten the mood when practice was to tough on them. About 5 people on the BY still call Kyla Irwin, Kayla and everyone knows who they are talking about. It is not a big deal!

I once saw someone call her Kyra, and it stuck in my head. I still have to watch myself. I have a niece Kayla, so maybe i'll now make that mistake. If I do can I blame you?

Reaction Score
I once saw someone call her Kyra, and it stuck in my head. I still have to watch myself. I have a niece Kayla, so maybe i'll now make that mistake. If I do can I blame you?
It happens, lol!

Reaction Score

Don't think for a minute that the rest of the season will be all sweetness and light for Ms Walker...........she will make her mistakes, she will backslide a bit, in the end she will have had the requisite UConn freshman year..............it's next year when she will really kick ---

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

I agree with your main point, but let's not forget that there are some freshmen in this world who don't need to go through this process before they make a solid contribution to the team. We've named them before: Morgan Tuck, Kia Nurse (differentiating herself from Gabby), Caroline Doty (differentiating herself from Tiffany Hayes), Renee Montgomery (in contrast to the year-older Ketia Swanier), and of course Maya Moore. While all of these people have a lot of physical talent, what really differentiates them (IMHO) is their personal emotional maturity on arrival. Some people are just grown up at age 18.

Reaction Score
I don't suppose that was intended to elicit a meaningful response, so ....

Yikes! Had no knowledge of Geno's( perhaps grape-inspired) comments re AEH in Philly until just a few minutes ago. My apology.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that remembers?
A few years ago, Geno was upset at his bench. It was during the Stewie-Tuck_Jefferson era. For weeks he was complaining that they didn't play hard enough, weren't listening. He said they felt they were okay because they only got into games and deferred to the starters, adding nothing, or when the team was up 30+ and the other team was beaten down.
So he started the bench players. I was at the game but dont recall which conference foe it was. Of course their weaknesses showed. Presumably he got their attention.

Reaction Score
I agree with your main point, but let's not forget that there are some freshmen in this world who don't need to go through this process before they make a solid contribution to the team. We've named them before: Morgan Tuck, Kia Nurse (differentiating herself from Gabby), Caroline Doty (differentiating herself from Tiffany Hayes), Renee Montgomery (in contrast to the year-older Ketia Swanier), and of course Maya Moore. While all of these people have a lot of physical talent, what really differentiates them (IMHO) is their personal emotional maturity on arrival. Some people are just grown up at age 18.
I believe Kia didn't because Geno saw she would contribute more than Saniya very early her freshman year. Same would have happened for Megan were Gabby or Napheesa not on the team or not available early in the season. It's more the UConn WBB initiation - as Big Mick observed. Perhaps serves to winnow initiates who don't respond to relentless pressure with grace and renewed effort.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

There is a video somewhere--I'm sure one of you tech savvy posters can locate it--of Diana explaining how Geno "builds you up, then tears you down..." It might be useful in bringing some understanding to his process.

Reaction Score
Agree with half of your comment. Meagan turned the ball over in the first few minutes but Geno gave her the time needed to be successful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom