Did Tough Love Work With Megan Walker? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did Tough Love Work With Megan Walker?

Reaction Score
My untrained eye had me thinking after today's game that the last two games and today in particular had our non starters play better than I had seen previously. Maybe Geno giving them a meaningful shot with early minutes rather than mop-up minutes brought new meaning to their practices and to their play-making in the game today. Certainly I saw less turnovers and more consistency to their play.
I've always been a believer : Practice is where you learn what your coach demands: plays, defenses, philosophies ---you hone your game, chemistry, defenses in real games. It's obvious that practices had a different focus. Megan had to be worked into the Starter mix, as did Coombs. This game showed the kids paid attention and responded as demanded--with a rough edge here and there. But I liked everything about this game--especially with the Frosh and Sophs in .

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see if the freshmen can earn enough confidence to earn playing time against some of the better schools. But 22 points is a good outing against any team, unless most of the points were on layups and FTs.
7-7 on FT's & 64% from the field including 1-1 for three, couple mid-range 2-point jumpers and some spectacular layups that weren't "gimme's".

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno: "When you see how she played today, it's the look she had out there, it's where I belong," he said. "This is what I came here to do."

To that I just want to add: :):):):):)

SNY | NCAA Women's Game Recap

I said to some Boneyarders at halftime of the game that I thought the best thing about Megan's play was how confident she looked. I don't know if that came through on TV but it was very apparent in person.

Reaction Score
Meghan isn't squaring up and giving herself a chance. When she does, we'll see what her real limitations are...I like to think of her as a potential Maya with a better handle...

Dude, her name is spelled MEGAN. Please commit it to memory. Thanks.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My untrained eye had me thinking after today's game that the last two games and today in particular had our non starters play better than I had seen previously. Maybe Geno giving them a meaningful shot with early minutes rather than mop-up minutes brought new meaning to their practices and to their play-making in the game today. Certainly I saw less turnovers and more consistency to their play.

May also be therapeutic to see a team mate sent packing for not doing what she was told repeatedly to do. I know it would sharpen up my focus.

Reaction Score
I said to some Boneyarders at halftime of the game that I thought the best thing about Megan's play was how confident she looked. I don't know if that came through on TV but it was very apparent in person.
Looked that way on TV to me. 32 Minutes today - great day for Megan. Maybe somebody said, "Just go out there and play."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think Megan was "due", and today's game provided the perfect opportunity for her to have her breakout game. Now let's see if she can follow it up with another decent game.

Reaction Score
To my untrained eye, the answer from today’s Temple game is clearly yes. Today, she played the game that everyone (including Geno and her teammates) knew she was capable of, including 5 assists (second only to Gabby’s 11). Whether she was playing with the starters or the reserves, she played at a consistently high level.

I’m sure Geno is thinking (and may even say publicly), “OK, she had her great game today. Now she’s due for a stinker against Memphis.” I won’t be surprised if he says that, nor will I be surprised if it motivates her to prove him wrong (which I think explains much of what happened today), and she has another good game against the Tigers.

She would only be the umpteenth High School All-American on whom this approach has worked.

I know that the management courses say that managers should praise publicly and criticize privately, but I also know (and have had in my career) several effective managers who pay no attention to that maxim, and get good results. So it’s not entirely surprising that Geno does also. I think there are several reasons why it works with him: (a) the assistant coaches and older players help the “victim” work through it; (b) Geno himself will be the first to note her progress when he sees solid evidence of it (more than just one game); and (c) the recruits know Geno’s style and what results it has produced, and how much past players have benefitted from it in their later careers.
While agree with many of your points, every game Geno has given her playing time, she has performed well. Suspect this was more one of need for Geno than strategy - i.e. if KLS played Meagan likely on bench.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With Lou out, Azura moved into the lineup. Some of us wondered who would be first off the shortened bench. We thought possibly Meg or maybe Kyla, or, if Kia or Crystal got into foul trouble, it could be Molly or Mikayla. Well, Meg was the first off the bench. Then Z failed to defend, and Geno got angry and yanked her. Next, Pheesa got into foul trouble. As I said to Mike and Cat, "Meg could log a lot of PT today." She sure did.

I think that Geno tried to simplify things for the bench players. "Find the thing that you are good at and just do that." Meg can cut inside for post-ups, she can score in the lane, she can rebound, and she likes the corner 3-pointer. In Mikayla's case, she took the ball to the hoop with speed and authority multiple times.

The turnaround and improvement from Thursday were almost shocking. Everyone looked good. Geno got the see his mother, Tonya, Wilnett, and some old Philly friends. He also got the see the bench put up a whopping 39 points. I'm sure it was a happy trip back to Storrs.

Reaction Score
sheesh whatta grouch!

It's called having enough respect for someone to at least spell their name correctly. You misspelled it at least twice within this single thread, so clearly you haven't clue!

Reaction Score
Lots of good thoughts on this thread already. The thing I felt best about was the staff mixing starters in with the reserves rather than tossing all reserves onto the floor as a unit at THIS point. Had no problem with that approach being tried last game tho and thought it was an understandable approach at that time. Perhaps even masterful. Also, nothing wrong with tough love.

Reaction Score
Megan played solid 32 mins, same as Kia, and one scored 22 one scored 24 pts.
Today's game completely belong to Megan and Kia.
Kyla and Mikayla also played good game today.
So happy for the team (we have 6 players with double).

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Defense takes time so I would not expect too much as a freshman. If Megan looks confident (i.e she thinks she belongs here) on offense and makes impact on the boards, she will be in the rotation. We have seen enough that there is no reason she should not be able to do that. It is all in her control and she needs to internalize that. No more "freshman fear"

Defense is what got Kia Nurse starting as a freshman. Some take time and enjoy defense and others do not.

Reaction Score
It's called having enough respect for someone to at least spell their name correctly. You misspelled it at least twice within this single thread, so clearly you haven't clue!
This is a basketball thread but if you really feel you should correct someones spelling. You might want to proof read what you wrote because you clearly dont have A clue!!

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Defense is what got Kia Nurse starting as a freshman. Some take time and enjoy defense and others do not.

Kia is clearly in the minority of incoming freshman. Most players are more advanced offensively than defensively and Megan is in that category as of now but with her speed and strength, I cant imagine her not becoming elite in time on that end.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
May also be therapeutic to see a team mate sent packing for not doing what she was told repeatedly to do. I know it would sharpen up my focus.

I agree but I also think when your bench see's players getting beat up and now are the walking wounded (or needing to sit out), they more clearly sense the urgency and how important is to be part of the solution and not add to the problems.

upload_2018-1-22_6-17-21.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom