Did Tara throw shade on the Tree's mens team? Or under the bus? | The Boneyard

Did Tara throw shade on the Tree's mens team? Or under the bus?

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno is hanging around until he passes her.

Between the two teams, Stanford currently has the more recent National Championship.
Who is still playing

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno is hanging around until he passes her.

Between the two teams, Stanford currently has the more recent National Championship.
I can't believe they're less than a year apart in age. Geno seems ten years younger.

Reaction Score
Tara: "I know our men's team would be ecstatic to play two games in the NCAA tournament."
I was thinking the same thing when I heard that comment. I am like, jeez. I would hate to be the men's program. Coach Vanderveer throwing shade like that! Who knows, she probably claiming gym time over the men's program! :D

Reaction Score
I can't believe they're less than a year apart in age. Geno seems ten years younger.
Although this year has added 10 to Geno. He sounded much better in the presser last night but I tell you what this year is really weighed heavily and it shows.

Reaction Score

Recruiting won't seem to be that HARD. Maybe having a coach turning 70 is? For recruiting if the tradition of NCAA runs isn't enough you still have the ability to dangle a degree from Stanford in front of a student. About 10 years ago Iowan Taylor Greenfield picked Stanford and peeps in Iowa were all "She could have been a stayed home and started at Iowa State!" Me, at the time "Ah, that prestigious degree and a shot at a national title."

Reaction Score
Recruiting won't seem to be that HARD. Maybe having a coach turning 70 is? For recruiting if the tradition of NCAA runs isn't enough you still have the ability to dangle a degree from Stanford in front of a student. About 10 years ago Iowan Taylor Greenfield picked Stanford and peeps in Iowa were all "She could have been a stayed home and started at Iowa State!" Me, at the time "Ah, that prestigious degree and a shot at a national title."
Yeah, I have some fear of that Stanford degree this year with high profile SC prospect, Joyce Edwards.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
It may be more general as in a woman coach will have the most wins in women's basketball.

Reaction Score
You may want to take off those UConn shades. I don't know her motivation but I doubt it has anything to do with Geno or UConn.
I’m not sure about that. Last year I was in MN for the final four and spent time in discussions with a number of like Tara minded women at our hotel pool.Their disdain, and pure hatred for any men coaching women sports was front and center. These were all “ mature” women, 60 -75 years old who played or coached sports at the collegiate level. One was a former Olympian (team handball). They were ardent Tara supporters and haters of anything male!

Reaction Score
I’m not sure about that. Last year I was in MN for the final four and spent time in discussions with a number of like Tara minded women at our hotel pool.Their disdain, and pure hatred for any men coaching women sports was front and center. These were all “ mature” women, 60 -75 years old who played or coached sports at the collegiate level. One was a former Olympian (team handball). They were ardent Tara supporters and haters of anything male!
This is probably the biggest reason why Tara generally appears to be less than a fan of UConn. Last year after they lost to the Huskies in the semis there was a comment about "why do people think she's classy". I do think she's classy overall but isn't perfect as he lack of respect she showed for the men's team is evident in those comments, as well as some of her lack of enthusiasm for the Huskies.

I think Tara has less time left than Geno despite them being close in age. I wondered if she would bow out after winning in 21 and part of me thinks if Jones and Brink were seniors, she would have. Tara is one of the last left of the "old guard" at a time when it was only women coaching in the field with a few exceptions. We've seen a few instances of assistants who are female in the NBA but I just don't see a female being a NBA head coach anytime soon, and especially don't see a female being named a HC for a major men's sport at the D1 level. Just being honest.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I've been thinking this over for the last few days, and I'm not sure Tara was throwing shade at Stanford MBB as much as it was an awkward way to express her thoughts at that point in time. It's not the first time I've heard her answer a Q and explain things, and wonder, did she mean what she said or did she say what she meant? IMHO, I don't think she's as clear a communicator as some other coaches.

Ranking, seedings, projections, analysts all add to the sometimes perceived "truth" about any particular program, however who are they or we to say? Was Stanford one of the top 5 programs this year? They started 2 weeks at #3, 11 wks at #2, then journeyed from 4, 3, 2, 6. 3, 3, 6, 5, 5. As we have been discussing in other threads, they were an enigma of rotating starters, lack of depth at guard, some players potentially playing out of position, etc. I would argue that maybe they weren't as good as the rankings showed, and yes, rankings are subjective and we saw a bit of craziness this year with how teams moved either up and down, regardless of whether it was a result of prior results, or other teams' results.

Stanford, among other teams, sometimes suffer from what I consider Alabama FB syndrome. Is the latter always the top team every year? Maybe, but a lot of credit at the beginning of their season is sometimes a result of how they ended the past. People ranking the team have no idea how a new freshman class will impact the team, so a lot of early rankings is a hangover from the prior season. No pun intended here, but in sports evaluation, sometimes it's difficult to see the forest thru the trees.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is probably the biggest reason why Tara generally appears to be less than a fan of UConn. Last year after they lost to the Huskies in the semis there was a comment about "why do people think she's classy". I do think she's classy overall but isn't perfect as he lack of respect she showed for the men's team is evident in those comments, as well as some of her lack of enthusiasm for the Huskies.

I think Tara has less time left than Geno despite them being close in age. I wondered if she would bow out after winning in 21 and part of me thinks if Jones and Brink were seniors, she would have. Tara is one of the last left of the "old guard" at a time when it was only women coaching in the field with a few exceptions. We've seen a few instances of assistants who are female in the NBA but I just don't see a female being a NBA head coach anytime soon, and especially don't see a female being named a HC for a major men's sport at the D1 level. Just being honest.
I have exactly the other point of view that Geno has stated clearly he will not just hang on and has numerous other items in his life he wants to pursue-golf, family, restaurants and I am sure announcing would be front and center.

While Tara is a bit more reserved, her fire for competitiveness leads me to believe she will continue coaching past Geno.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This is probably the biggest reason why Tara generally appears to be less than a fan of UConn.
I dunno. There was a time where Stanford and Tara were poised to be UT's top foil. But that dream was snuffed out in it's infancy when UConn crushed them in the 1995 Final Four. She's been less than a fan for almost three decades.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom