Did Sue just play her last game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did Sue just play her last game?

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Bird could come back next season and be an impactful player but I hope this was it for her. I don't like to see any athlete play until they physically cannot go any further. Several come to mind but watching Bird some this season and during the Olympics it was obvious that while she still had a lot to contribute there were signs she was starting to wear down. Bird overcame numerous injuries that would have ended some careers prematurely and came back strong each time. Whatever miracle cure with diet and exercise she took a few years back no doubt gave her enough energy to extend her career a few more seasons.

Bird (and Maya) are my favorite Huskies because it was clear on day one how good they were and how they basically just went out there and played great basketball without drawing attention to themselves. Bird is without a doubt the most accomplished point guard and one of the best to play regardless of position.

I wish her well and her playing one more season won't diminish my high opinion of her but I just think it's time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Maybe but I’m getting a different vibe. Could depend on what the Storm team links like next season. Jewell is an unrestricted free agent as is Stevie. I expect Stevie to stay but not sure about Jewell.

Me, too. When Sue announced she was finished with playing for the USA National Team, it just hadn't dawned on me that she'd also contemplate calling it a day for the WNBA, as well.

So when I saw the end of the game, I look at it through a different kind of lens. And that looked like a person who may have decided the journey has been (very) good enough. Time to get off the bike and let someone else pedal.

Whatever she decides, she's earned it...ultimate class act.

Reaction Score
It's not the years, it's the mileage. On the body and in the mind.
Case in point:
Was just watching the Big East Tournament Final from 2001.
Tournament was held in Gempel that year.
Sue had suffered a back injury in the Semi-final against Rutgers the night before. Was obviously in great pain and only about 50-75% of 'Superbird"
But she was in the starting lineup against Notre Dame. Since ND had handed the Huskies a surprise thumping in South Bend earlier in the year, I imagine there would have been quite an interesting conversation if someone had told Sue to "sit this one out".
She was very quiet and tentative, and was playing limited minutes in a close, grinding contest (Ruth Reilly was mostly the grindee) when two issues arose in the 2nd quarter.
1) Diana T. got into some mild foul trouble that took her off the court for a few minutes
2) Worse, Shea R., playing with her usual "Tasmanian Devil"intensity that was always worth the price of admission, was giving the Irish all kinds of headaches and indigestion, on both sides of the court, when she suddenly went down with a knee injury that took her out of the game.
Swinn, Adja, Tamika, etc., were keeping the Irish at bay at this point.
As Shea was being walked off the court, Geno and CD huddled with the obviously rattled troops to settle them down.
I didn't see anyone talking with Sue or even looking at her in any special way. Nor did she try to cheer lead or pep talk the other ladies.
But when play resumed it suddenly seemed like there or 2 or 3 #10's in blue uniforms on the court. Blocking, forcing turnovers, hitting 3's, making pinpoint passes into the post, you name it.
The only time Geno felt it necessary to coach at all was when he loudly berated Sue for some sort of real or perceived defensive lapse.
I guess the whole S.O.B. thing has proven to be quite effective, but I couldn't help a $#&*!! upon seeing that one. Sue didn't bat an eye, being too locked in.
Guess it's called leading.
She capped it off with a leaping half-court shot that, somehow, went in the basket as time expired in the half.
Did someone say "Storr-ybook" scenario?
The crowd at Gempel and the Husky bench went crazy as the team, led by Sue, went into the locker room.
The rest is, of course, part of the ongoing "UCONN Mystique".
I thought of two things.
1) How special Sue was and is on the court, and how she can pretty much accomplish anything she sets her mind to.
2) How much I hope some or all of the current Huskies will watch that game and some others to see what kind of commitment and dedication it takes to be part of the UCONN "League of Extraordinary Ladies" and overcome any obstacles or adversity to reach the top of the mountain.
I think, just maybe, Paige is off to a promising start and on her way, but only time will tell. Let's reconvene in 2024-2025 and compare notes.

Reaction Score
Sue is a legend. She is 41 years old now. She can be a great coach, then eventually becomes Storm's coach, I wish.
I think she already was the storm's coach. If Jewell even had an average game, they win.

Reaction Score
She will play one more year, announcing so in advance, then embarking on a well-deserved farewell tour through the WNBA.
And maybe DT joins her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Saw this quote

Loyd said, "I wish Stewie was Iron Man, and never got hurt."

But last I saw, Iron Man died in Avenger's Endgame. :confused:;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Saw this quote

Loyd said, "I wish Stewie was Iron Man, and never got hurt."

But last I saw, Iron Man died in Avenger's Endgame. :confused:;)
Yeah but he sacrificed himself for the good of the entire universe. Plus nobody is ever really dead in comic books.

Reaction Score
I think that jersey swap was for Diana who is retiring, not Sue. Just a hunch.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Yeah but he sacrificed himself for the good of the entire universe. Plus nobody is ever really dead in comic books.
They can multiverse themselves out of and into any story line.

Reaction Score
A side note, when the games get interesting the WNBA marches out this single elimination playoff system.

Doc Brown GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Reaction Score
She will play one more year, announcing so in advance, then embarking on a well-deserved farewell tour through the WNBA.
And maybe DT joins her.
I'd love a Sue and Dee farewell tour, especially in a back-to-normal, post-pandemic world if 2022 can be that. Catch had hers in 2016 and it was fun for me personally because she was the player that got me hooked on the W. Given their recent publicity in the Olympics and (for Sue) commercials, it's could be a good PR move for the league to bring in some new fans. Assuming Sue and Dee are up for another year, of course.

Reaction Score
I'd love a Sue and Dee farewell tour, especially in a back-to-normal, post-pandemic world if 2022 can be that. Catch had hers in 2016 and it was fun for me personally because she was the player that got me hooked on the W. Given their recent publicity in the Olympics and (for Sue) commercials, it's could be a good PR move for the league to bring in some new fans. Assuming Sue and Dee are up for another year, of course.
I would rather remember Sue, and Dee as Olympic Gold Medal winners for the 5th time. You could see in Dee, the injuries have taken a toll. With Sue her shot by the end of the season was no where near her norm.
This season should be remembered as their farewell tour. I don't want to see Sue or Dee getting beat by youngsters on defense, or unable to score at their best.

Reaction Score
It's always a challenge for an elite athlete to make that decision. When do you know it's time to go? How do you give up something you love before you stay too long, getting to the point where those you play with and the fans are embarrassed for you? As a kid, I loved John Unitas and Brooks Robinson. Fantastic players in their prime, but in my opinion both hung on too long to the point where their games were mere shadows of what they used to be. As I recall in both of their cases, they didn't retire on their terms. Managers and coaches had the difficult task to inform them that they just couldn't play the game anymore.

Not, in my opinion, the best way to end Hall of Fame careers.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It's always a challenge for an elite athlete to make that decision. When do you know it's time to go? How do you give up something you love before you stay too long, getting to the point where those you play with and the fans are embarrassed for you? As a kid, I loved John Unitas and Brooks Robinson. Fantastic players in their prime, but in my opinion both hung on too long to the point where their games were mere shadows of what they used to be. As I recall in both of their cases, they didn't retire on their terms. Managers and coaches had the difficult task to inform them that they just couldn't play the game anymore.

Not, in my opinion, the best way to end Hall of Fame careers.
I always thought Jim Brown was the best example of a player walking away from the game at his best. Brown played 9 years, all in Cleveland, back when the pros played 14 game seasons.

In his 9th season Brown had 1500+ rushing yds, 300+ receiving yds & 21 TD’s. When he announced his retirement after the season, football fans were shocked that he was walking away from the game after one of his greatest seasons.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I always thought Jim Brown was the best example of a player walking away from the game at his best. Brown played 9 years, all in Cleveland, back when the pros played 14 game seasons.

In his 9th season Brown had 1500+ rushing yds, 300+ receiving yds & 21 TD’s. When he announced his retirement after the season, football fans were shocked that he was walking away from the game after one of his greatest seasons.
Robert Smith walked away after a similarly productive final season. It was his 8th. I seem to recall it was fairly shocking when he retired.

Reaction Score
I hope not. But if it was, I have zero problem if she wants to step away and hang up the sneakers.

Reaction Score
I think that jersey swap was for Diana who is retiring, not Sue. Just a hunch.

Diana still has another year on her contract. Sue does not. I’m just sad there was no last ride tour

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Diana still has another year on her contract. Sue does not. I’m just sad there was no last ride tour

If Sue told the storm that she wanted one final year, I’m sure they would accommodate her.

When you think about it I have a year in your contract really doesn’t matter since either can retire at any time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom