Did SEC just stop the Expansion?? | The Boneyard

Did SEC just stop the Expansion??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey Baylor, this is the SEC........ if you want to stop all this expansion nonsense then don't drop your lawsuit against the SEC.

SEC can then backout of the expansion business without looking bad.

Reaction Score
Good for Baylor, but let's be honest, this is the only chit they have. On what basis would they sue - we're screwed if TAMU leaves for mroe money even after they pinky swore they would not last summer? With all of the rumrs floating around, notice anyone talking about swooping in and picking up Baylor?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Baylor just backed down.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Baylor just backed down.

I don't think they did. That was wishful thinking from the Aggie site.

I think people are reading more into this Baylor situation than there really is. First off, several groups are reporting that Baylor is not the only one that refused to sign. Secondly, when in doubt, don't sign a waiver or release. If someone comes out of no where and puts a waiver or release in front of you, it is usually because they have done something wrong. If the SEC and A&M are confident of their legal standing, tell Baylor to buzz off. If they think they have a problem, open their checkbooks. Most legal problems can be solved with money.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Supposedly the conference call among the other nine B-12 members began about a dozen minutes ago and the in itial discussion will be to get Baylor to drop the threat of a lawsuit, allowing the B-12 to move forward and look into expansion candidates.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Supposedly the conference call among the other nine B-12 members began about a dozen minutes ago and the in itial discussion will be to get Baylor to drop the threat of a lawsuit, allowing the B-12 to move forward and look into expansion candidates.

This is the key. Baylor is threatening the B12s chances of moving forward, so they'll face a lot of pressure to drop it. A&M is gone one way or another, and Baylor hardline stance could cause the total breakup, rather than stop it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the key. Baylor is threatening the B12s chances of moving forward, so they'll face a lot of pressure to drop it. A&M is gone one way or another, and Baylor hardline stance could cause the total breakup, rather than stop it.

It appears that several Big 12 schools are refusing to sign the waivers. Why would they?

Reaction Score
Mr. Senator Blumenthal wasn't able to stop any expansion so I'm sure Baylor and ISU blocking this means squat.

If we lose WVU as SEC's #14 one of the creative minds on this board please get started on uconn2acc.com You can use http://mizzou2sec.com/ as a template!

Reaction Score
It appears that several Big 12 schools are refusing to sign the waivers. Why would they?

I'm sure Oklahoma, Texas, Okl St, Tex Tech are going to heartedly endorse the idea of a team leaving the Big XII w/o being sued.

Baylor & Iowa St know however that they've gotta hold on for dear life.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm sure Oklahoma, Texas, Okl St, Tex Tech are going to heartedly endorse the idea of a team leaving the Big XII w/o being sued.

It looks like Baylor and Iowa State have somehow stopped the expansion bus. The Big 12-2-1 has pledged undying loyalty to each other, again. It looks like the superconferences will have to wait for another day.

Now the ball is in WVU's court. We don't NEED them to stay anymore, although it would be nice. The weird thing about WVU is that they are kind of self-contained. They have a good football and basketball program, but I think it is a function of their access to BCS games. I suspect in an SEC East it will be harder to make the case that they will be playing in a major bowl every other year. Unlike every other team in the Big East, WVU's value derived solely from the fact that they were really good. If WVU was Rutgers-caliber on the field and court, they would be a major, major liability.

I also wonder if ESPN calls a timeout and says they are not paying an additional $25MM/year for the West Virginia market. WVU's value to the Big East derived from a Top 20 team playing major market opponents. There are already plenty of great teams and crappy markets in the SEC. Who needs another?

Reaction Score
Uh, we don't need them to stay? Right now, they're just about the only BE program with national credibility until TCU arrives. We definitely need them to stay. Though it's unrealistic to expect them to if they're formally invited to the SEC.

Reaction Score
It looks like Baylor and Iowa State have somehow stopped the expansion bus. The Big 12-2-1 has pledged undying loyalty to each other, again. It looks like the superconferences will have to wait for another day.

Now the ball is in WVU's court. We don't NEED them to stay anymore, although it would be nice. The weird thing about WVU is that they are kind of self-contained. They have a good football and basketball program, but I think it is a function of their access to BCS games. I suspect in an SEC East it will be harder to make the case that they will be playing in a major bowl every other year. Unlike every other team in the Big East, WVU's value derived solely from the fact that they were really good. If WVU was Rutgers-caliber on the field and court, they would be a major, major liability.

I also wonder if ESPN calls a timeout and says they are not paying an additional $25MM/year for the West Virginia market. WVU's value to the Big East derived from a Top 20 team playing major market opponents. There are already plenty of great teams and crappy markets in the SEC. Who needs another?

Your point about the bowls is a little off. The 6th place SEC team (in years they only get one BCS team) gets the Gator Bowl. Going to the Gator in the BE was a big deal. The Bowl tie-ins are so much better in the SEC. Granted it may be more difficult to go to a BCS game, but you could end up in the Cotton, Peach, Capital One , Outback ect.

Reaction Score
Your point about the bowls is a little off. The 6th place SEC team (in years they only get one BCS team) gets the Gator Bowl. Going to the Gator in the BE was a big deal. The Bowl tie-ins are so much better in the SEC. Granted it may be more difficult to go to a BCS game, but you could end up in the Cotton, Peach, Capital One , Outback ect.

Congrats if Eers do get picked. Most BE fans rooted for you because WVU did some great things for the conference. In the SEC, WVU will just be a warm body to balance the divisions. SEC stability and money would be great even though WVU won't win the league anytime soon. I guess that's good enough for WVU fans. You have to take it if you get that invite.

Just when BE is about to stablize, ESPN and SEC come in and destablizes the conference yet again.

All this proves is that UCONN better get our football program up ASAP. We better start to spend some serious money to expand the stadium and get more fans to the game. You simply can't afford to be left behind in this environment.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else read on the ESPN crawl that "if Oklahoma commits to staying in the BXII then aTm could join the $EC"?

Reaction Score
Did anyone else read on the ESPN crawl that "if Oklahoma commits to staying in the BXII then aTm could join the $EC"?

That's the next domino to fall. It is up to OU if they want to go to PAC-12 or not.

If A&M goes to the SEC, they could come after WVU. Since SEC is an ESPN partner, it looks like ESPN and SEC will do anything to destroy the BE conference. UCONN could be affected severely before it is all over.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the whole face of Div 1 college football is going to change when they go to a playoff system to determine a National Champ. These bowl games every one keeps clinging to are going to be relegated as playoff sites the same as regional sites are bid for in college hoops. WVU is going to find it easier to get that automatic bid in the Big East. I don't think they are going anywhere. I could be completely off base here but there has to be a major overhaul of Div 1 athletics and I believe a playoff system similar to March Madness is going to be a bi-product of the changes that ARE coming.

Reaction Score
ESPNAndyKatz Andy Katz
Eight of nine schools won't waive legal rights to sue Aggies/SEC, but would if OU commits to Big 12

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what kind of "commitment" they want from OU. Are they going to make them sign a contract saying they'll stay in the conference? Good luck getting that.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Should we read anything into the fact that not only the would-be losers (Baylor, ISU) but also TTU and UT - who would presumably be part of the move to the Pac16 - did not waive?

Reaction Score
Texas does not want to go to the Pac 39. if they did, they would have gone last year. Texas wants to stay in the Big XII. But, if after Aggies leaving the Sooners and Cowboys leave to, that stops being an option and Texas has no choice.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 (9) are staying together and they have worked out a revenue sharing deal. They are looking for team # 10. A&M is in the clear for the SEC.

Reaction Score

I'm willing to bet that the big T is 100% behind Baylor and ISU. 110% maybe.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
What does anyone get for waiving their rights? Nothing. What incentive do they have to sign such a document other than the already established departure tax?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What does anyone get for waiving their rights? Nothing. What incentive do they have to sign such a document other than the already established departure tax?

Apparently the legal problem is that any lawsuit will focus on the TV contract, not the conference agreement. It appears that the two were never explicitly linked, so when A&M leaves, it violates the 10 team clause in that TV agreement, which creates a damage claim for Baylor and the rest. Since the SEC induced A&M to leave, the SEC potentially has a problem.

The SEC would certainly take the position that the conference departure fee is the only relevant damages, and will be paid by Texas A&M. Clearly they didn't feel comfortable enough in that position, or they wouldn't have asked for waivers.

It is worth noting that the SEC vote was 10-2 with the waivers. Are there 2 more schools that are close enough to the fence to bail on this when A&M has to return for a revote?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom