Did Oregon Sign a Sleeper Recruit from Germany ? | The Boneyard

Did Oregon Sign a Sleeper Recruit from Germany ?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Interesting that all 3 players in their recruiting class are international. Graves has grabbed a few foreign players before, but not like this. Current Oregon G Cazorla is from Spain. While at Gonzaga he recruited at least one Australian and a German player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sabally will be in the Jordan Classic tomorrow. Will try to see how she compares with the US players.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
She is friends with Oregon Freshman Morgan Yaeger. I guess someone put in a good word.
Anneli.jpg

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
From an article on Maley, the Aussie guard. It is from 2015. I wish we, in the USA, had stuff like this. By the way the Basketball Centre of Excellence is where the Stanford forward, Allana Smith came out.

This year, Maley has been playing on a scholarship at the Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence (COE), which has clearly played a formative role in Maley’s basketball development. “Being at the COE means that we are exposed to a lot of education about being a professional athlete, on top of physical training, that is eating right, sleeping enough, and really looking after our bodies. My diet is really to refuel and replenish my body after training and really maintaining and gaining strength. I have 4-5 team trainings a week and three gym sessions that I also complete with my team. On top of that I try to get at least 200 shots up a day and at least 3 times a week I have a skills session that focuses on ball handling. We are also very privileged up here to have amazing staff that run these sessions. Brad Davidson runs an amazing shooting session which I try to get in 1-2 times a week. I pride myself on my work ethic, so whenever my school schedule allows me, I will always ask my coach for an extra individual workout when I can.”

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think I read an article on recruiting with Kelly Graves. He said something like "go hard for 2016 and then go internationally". Something to that effect. Until he got Oregon rolling then he could recruit US better.

Reaction Score
UConn will not be stopped next year. Everybody else can recruit whomever they want. Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson, Kia Nurse, Azura Stevens, Batouly Camara, Megan Walker, Lexi Gordon, Makayla Coombes, Andra-Espinoza Hunter

Reaction Score
Sorry, Mikayla Coombs.

Mikayla Coombs is going to be a great player, mark my words. She may not be as well known as Megan Walker, but she will be. She looked pretty good in the McDonald high school all-american game passing the ball and running the team as a point guard. I think she may be the next option at point guard after Crystal.

Reaction Score
Mikayla Coombs is going to be a great player, mark my words. She may not be as well known as Megan Walker, but she will be. She looked pretty good in the McDonald high school all-american game passing the ball and running the team as a point guard. I think she may be the next option at point guard after Crystal.
While opinions vary, project Mikaya playing minutes ahead of Crystal Dangerfield based on size and particularly defense. Crystal Dangerfield can be much flashier but Geno often looks for consistency and OVERALL ability.

Reaction Score
So then I'll end this thread back on track
Nice thread hijack.
So then just let me end this thread on subject. I was interested in how Sabally would do in this game so I focused on her as I replayed the game. All though she only scored one point, I thought she played well. She only took two shots a three and a lay up and missed them both. The lay up was understandable because it was on a last second fast break that she had to adjust to a reverse lay up because she received the ball too far under the basket. She also had two steals, two blocks and three RB's. I really liked her game and thought she played much better than her stats showed. She really hustled, played good D ( at both the guard and post positions ) and ran the floor well. She also had one really good play she got no credit for when she tipped an offensive rebound to an open teammate who got a lay up. That should have given her one more O board and an assist. I think the coach also recognized her play because she started in the second half, which was out of their normal rotations. I think Oregon is getting a really good player. You can not always tell how well a player played by the stats especially in an Allstar game. Also add the fact that the color guy got her confused with another player and didn't give her credit for some of her good plays.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Thanks for the scouting report from this game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom