Did NCAA Tournament boost UConn players' NBA Draft stock? | The Boneyard

Did NCAA Tournament boost UConn players' NBA Draft stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Article from Dave Borges of the New Haven Register.

"People started realizing, 'Wow, this guy (Hawkins) is either the best shooter in the country or in the top two with Gradey Dick (of Kansas),'" the scout said. "The way he closed the year, he just made himself a hell of a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes him in the lottery. He's got potential lottery talent, the way that spacing, the 3-point line, the value of shooters today, just how important it is."

Alternate access:

Did NCAA Tournament boost UConn men's basketball players' NBA Draft stock?

Reaction Score
Before someone brings it up, there's no mention of Jackson in here. I think it's because Borges already did an article on Jackson last week.

Reaction Score
I know I always wear rose colored glasses when watching our own guys but I think if given a chance, Sanogo can carve himself a place in the league. He can just as easily end up overseas if he doesn’t improve his shooting and isn’t given the opportunity, but I’ve seen 2nd round draft picks with a lot less talent in the past. 10 years ago he’d make 5 million a year as a rotation player.

Reaction Score

Tristen Newton​

The consensus among the scouts is that Newton is highly unlikely to be drafted, and should return for another season at UConn.

Despite a strong performance on the second day of the G-League Elite Camp on Sunday (14 points, 3-for-4 from 3-point range), Newton was not one of the eight players from camp invited to the NBA combine.

If this happens and AJ gets drafted, does AK play a bunch at the 3, with SJ at the 4?

Reaction Score

Tristen Newton​

The consensus among the scouts is that Newton is highly unlikely to be drafted, and should return for another season at UConn.

Despite a strong performance on the second day of the G-League Elite Camp on Sunday (14 points, 3-for-4 from 3-point range), Newton was not one of the eight players from camp invited to the NBA combine.

If this happens and AJ gets drafted, does AK play a bunch at the 3, with SJ at the 4?
The problem for a guy like Newton is: what else does he have to prove in college? No NBA scout is going to tell him that he's going to get drafted as a super-senior next year if he does at UConn.

If he's not going to get drafted, Newton still has to decide if he wants to spend yet another year in college.

To your question: no, I don't want to see a lineup with Karaban at the 3, Johnson, at the 4, and Clingan at the 5. That's just not enough guard skills on the floor. What makes Karaban exceptional is his skill level (shooting, passing, straight-line drive ability) at the 4. Put him at the 3 and he loses a lot of that uniqueness, while not really being able to take advantage of being defended by a smaller player.

Reaction Score
Hawkins was always a lock
Top 10 . He is so made for the current NBA it’s insane . Our best prospect since Kemba.
Newton was always a stretch but I’ll get back to him .
The two big “ifs “ were Sanogo and Jackson
Sanogo was already written off as a 5 do what he did playing there in the tournament performance was almost totally irrelevant.
His draft status is more dependent on his ability to transition to a 4 . He has a small window and a lot of work but it’s doable .
Jackson’s passing / vision in the tournament probably got him a better look in camp than he would’ve gotten so in that respect I would say it helped..
I know his court vision and passing are overlooked by many on the BY but that is 1/2 his ticket to the Show
However his camp performance will be the difference between 1st and 2nd round. My concern with him is confidence in actual court leadership.
His athleticism and skills are worth a shot and playing in the summer league will determine if he sticks or not . But a year in G league to learn the pro game and improve his shot will help achieve his career goals .
Getting back to Newton I believe minimally what he showed in camp puts him at least in the picture for someone to watch next year.as a sleeper . I think like Martin he could actually have a chance and surprise everyone but I think he should come back . With so many young kids his experience will be huge almost like Kemba in 2011.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hawkins was always a lock
Top 10 . He is so made for the current NBA it’s insane . Our best prospect since Kemba.
Newton was always a stretch but I’ll get back to him .
The two big “ifs “ were Sanogo and Jackson
Sanogo was already written off as a 5 do what he did playing there in the tournament performance was almost totally irrelevant.
His draft status is more dependent on his ability to transition to a 4 . He has a small window and a lot of work but it’s doable .
Jackson’s passing / vision in the tournament probably got him a better look in camp than he would’ve gotten so in that respect I would say it helped..
I know his court vision and passing are overlooked by many on the BY but that is 1/2 his ticket to the Show
However his camp performance will be the difference between 1st and 2nd round. My concern with him is confidence in actual court leadership.
His athleticism and skills are worth a shot and playing in the summer league will determine if he sticks or not . But a year in G league to learn the pro game and improve his shot will help achieve his career goals .
Getting back to Newton I believe minimally what he showed in camp puts him at least in the picture for someone to watch next year.as a sleeper . I think like Martin he could actually have a chance and surprise everyone but I think he should come back . With so many young kids his experience will be huge almost like Kemba in 2011.
He was a lock to go first round. He's not a lock to go top 10, probably won't. He's borderline for the lottery. The more interesting thing will be what he does when he gets there. Is he a bench 3 and D guy? Does he carve out a starting role? Does he become an all-star caliber player? My guess is a Tyler Herro level player, but who knows?

Sanogo has the biggest opportunity at the combine. Measurables will matter, as will his ability to do what an NBA power forward needs to do. Some of it he excels at, some he has had minimal chance to show since he's playing center. He could open some eyes and rise, or disappoint.

Andre is an enigma. I doubt the combine matters much unless he became Klay Thompson in the last month. They know his measurables will be great. They know his speed, ball handling, defense and vision will be really good. They know he can't shoot a lick, or even score at the rim. If he can at least score at the rim, that helps his chances.

Newton is 22. He is what he is. The reason he's not at the combine is that he's a very good, solid, sub NBA level player who isn't really going to get any better. He'd be superb back at UConn, but he's not working his way into the draft next year. At 23 they'd be even less likely. It's UConn - G League or overseas.

Reaction Score
I think it boosted Hawkins from early 20's to lottery potential. So his performance in the NCAAT (16 PPG on 50% high volume 3P shooting) bumped him up a few projected spots for sure

I think Andre's performance in March got him a spot at the Combine. From there, it'll be up to his own performance to solidify himself as a sure fire NBA prospect, in the range that he would deem acceptable to go for it. He was peaking at the right time before the tournament, but he was outstanding throughout our run and got several shoutouts from Givony that certainly helped (1 tweet in 2020, 1 tweet in 2021, 1 tweet in 2022, 1 tweet in January, 7 tweets from March 24 - April 18). Media exposure matters and Givony is a really powerful media member for college athletes looking to go to the NBA

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Sanogo and Newton really got much extra traction from the tournament run. Makes sense because the NBA Draft does not seniors and Sanogo's college game is obsolete in the modern NBA. Hope Sanogo can own the Combine and get himself a spot, with his work ethic I would not be surprised at all if he made his way into the second round. With Newton not getting an invite after the G-League Camp, I don't think NBA Draft is in his future

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He was a lock to go first round. He's not a lock to go top 10, probably won't. He's borderline for the lottery. The more interesting thing will be what he does when he gets there. Is he a bench 3 and D guy? Does he carve out a starting role? Does he become an all-star caliber player? My guess is a Tyler Herro level player, but who knows?

Sanogo has the biggest opportunity at the combine. Measurables will matter, as will his ability to do what an NBA power forward needs to do. Some of it he excels at, some he has had minimal chance to show since he's playing center. He could open some eyes and rise, or disappoint.

Andre is an enigma. I doubt the combine matters much unless he became Klay Thompson in the last month. They know his measurables will be great. They know his speed, ball handling, defense and vision will be really good. They know he can't shoot a lick, or even score at the rim. If he can at least score at the rim, that helps his chances.

Newton is 22. He is what he is. The reason he's not at the combine is that he's a very good, solid, sub NBA level player who isn't really going to get any better. He'd be superb back at UConn, but he's not working his way into the draft next year. At 23 they'd be even less likely. It's UConn - G League or overseas.

Co-sign on your entire post.

The correct answer to the titular question is "Yes: Hawkins." He moved up.

While Sanogo played amazingly in the Tournament, he didn't open any eyes: people knew what his skills and weaknesses are. Maybe his great play guaranteed that he'll get picked in Round 2.

Reaction Score

Doubtful, IMO.

Johnson hasn't shown he's ready for 25mpg or more yet. He's looked ineffective or lost every minute he's played in 2 years. Doesn't mean he won't step up this off-season and become a difference-maker, but he isn't that guy yet.

Newton
Castle
Stewart/Ross/Ball
Karaban
Clingan

I think without Jackson this becomes more of a developmental year and less a "let's get #6 year" year. Stewart, Ross, and ball all have the potential to earn big minutes; it's just about whose skillset translates to D1 ball and who adapts to our advanced defensive schemes.

I'm going to go with the bold choice and say Ross starts day 1. If he can gain 10lbs this off-season and his shooting translates, he's going to be nasty.

It's also possible we recruit some 6'3-6'7 shooter transfer and they take the starter spot.

Reaction Score
Doubtful, IMO.

Johnson hasn't shown he's ready for 25mpg or more yet. He's looked ineffective or lost every minute he's played in 2 years. Doesn't mean he won't step up this off-season and become a difference-maker, but he isn't that guy yet.

Newton
Castle
Stewart/Ross/Ball
Karaban
Clingan

I think without Jackson this becomes more of a developmental year and less a "let's get #6 year" year. Stewart, Ross, and ball all have the potential to earn big minutes; it's just about whose skillset translates to D1 ball and who adapts to our advanced defensive schemes.

I'm going to go with the bold choice and say Ross starts day 1. If he can gain 10lbs this off-season and his shooting translates, he's going to be nasty.

It's also possible we recruit some 6'3-6'7 shooter transfer and they take the starter spot.
"I think without Jackson this becomes more of a developmental year and less a "let's get #6 year" year."

I never got onboard with the "get #6 next year" only because they are too many departures or possible departures. When a team loses the best shooter in the country in Hawk and arguably the best player in the country in Sanogo (doesn't matter if he didn't make any All American teams, he should have IMO), the best glue guy in AJax, and two valuable contributors in Alleyne and Calcaterra setting a goal of #6 is too high, doesn't mean we can't root for that.. I know the incoming freshman class is good and I hope they are every bit as good as their hype, but losing those 5 players is awfully tough to replace. Not to mention, the statuses of Newton and AJax hamstrung Hurley and staff and kept them in limbo without being able to push harder in the transfer portal.

Having said all of that, I still think this UConn team should make the NCAAT and their ceiling is most likely a Sweet 16. This team with Newton, Clingan, Karaban and a great incoming freshman class will go through their growing pains early and be much better in March.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hawk will go lottery, or he would not have come out. Thats the feedback I received from those around him.
Sanogo will not be drafted at all unless there is a team that feels he could fit in well as a practice player right away. He didn't work on the midrange game in college and that will be his downfall. I will always root for AS and his work ethic. He could make big bucks overseas.
AJax is the biggest question mark, in fact, I feel AS fits better in the draft than AJax. He has shown such a limited offensive game. Yes he's a super athlete but there's a lot of them in the NBA. Not many teams will spend a ton of money (draft money) on an athlete/defender. But then again, certain GMs always tend to go after someone like him. In my mind the gamble is too large at this particular time.
TN will be back at UConn or he will be overseas. BUT he could get himself in a better position if he returns to Storrs.
My best to all of these young men. They have played a huge part in the 2023 NC and we all appreciate their contributions.

Reaction Score
"I think without Jackson this becomes more of a developmental year and less a "let's get #6 year" year."

I never got onboard with the "get #6 next year" only because they are too many departures or possible departures. When a team loses the best shooter in the country in Hawk and arguably the best player in the country in Sanogo (doesn't matter if he didn't make any All American teams, he should have IMO), the best glue guy in AJax, and two valuable contributors in Alleyne and Calcaterra setting a goal of #6 is too high, doesn't mean we can't root for that.. I know the incoming freshman class is good and I hope they are every bit as good as their hype, but losing those 5 players is awfully tough to replace. Not to mention, the statuses of Newton and AJax hamstrung Hurley and staff and kept them in limbo without being able to push harder in the transfer portal.

Having said all of that, I still think this UConn team should make the NCAAT and their ceiling is most likely a Sweet 16. This team with Newton, Clingan, Karaban and a great incoming freshman class will go through their growing pains early and be much better in March.

I think we are a top-25 team all year and hopefully get a sweet-16. I just don't think we'll have the maturity or depth to win it all again. Will be a very fun year to watch our underclassmen grow though.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I think we are a top-25 team all year and hopefully get a sweet-16. I just don't think we'll have the maturity or depth to win it all again. Will be a very fun year to watch our underclassmen grow though.
Yeah it’ll be very tough to replace the offense of Sanogo and Hawkins - two “safety valves” who could each put up points in a hurry.

Even if Newton and AJ come back, we don’t have an offensive player that can command the type of attention each one of them drew from defenses.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I like Borges but that is the dumbest headline I’ve ever read.

“ no Dave, everyone thinks that a title run hurt players draft stock”

I mean Wtf?

Reaction Score
I like Borges but that is the dumbest headline I’ve ever read.

“ no Dave, everyone thinks that a title run hurt players draft stock”

I mean Wtf?
I've been told from sportswriters that they don't typically write the headlines to their articles. So maybe that's not from Borges.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Could also be used as a year to continue replenishing the NBA cabinet even further, showcase Clingan and Castle, try and get Karaban to sneak in the first round.

Bouk/Martin/Sanogo(?)/Jackson/Hawkins/Clingan/Castle as guaranteed NBA guys.

Karaban as a probable.

Newton as a Whaley style 2 way guy.

Dan could have 7-8 NBA guys by the end of year 6. Would absolutely help with future recruiting. Especially cause Castle would be the only 1 and done talent on the list, proving the staff helped develop these guys into NBA level prospects.

Reaction Score
Will wait to see what our roster is made up of(who) before speculating
Yeah. 100%.
we had our roster together for last year's team by July and nobody on here picked us as national champs. Guessing how next year's team will turn out is fun, but a futile task at this point.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Hot take. If we lost to Iona only Hawk would have declared. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves and all of us.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hot take. If we lost to Iona only Hawk would have declared. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to themselves and all of us.
Yeah, and if Sanogo grew four inches in the month after the championship game he'd be a lottery pick.

Neither of our ifs had a chance of actually happening.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Sanogo was probably gone regardless. Newton had a decision because of his age, he’s not getting drafted anyways, so I’m guessing he was already leaning towards testing for the sake of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom