Did Kevin Ollie outcoach Jay Wright? | The Boneyard

Did Kevin Ollie outcoach Jay Wright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The last 28 minutes of that he did a terrific job ESPECIALLY after napier went out with 2 fouls. Maybe Jay Wright should stop worrying so much about his DOVE commericals and focus on making some adjustments. I'm happy for Kevin Ollie though, seems he got a lot of heat in both those Ulouisville blowouts.

NotADimeBack

Give me my avi back
Reaction Score
Is this really a question?

btw, this means yes KO did out coach JW

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like KO always says, coaching is overrated. The team that plays the best, wins. At the end of the day, basketball is make/miss. During the 2nd half, Villanova went cold and Shabazz went nuclear. Ballgame.
Just like the UK/WSU game yesterday.. at the end, Young made a long 3 and VanVleet missed a long 3. Ballgame Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Yes.

Ollie adjusted to Jay's small ball, and Jay never made any adjustments back. I'm not sure how restricted he is in that way, but bottom line is..Ollie fixed his team's problems and Jay didn't. (And didn't look like he tried anything other than stay the course.)

Ollie has done a lot of little visible things with this team that I really like. They box out better than any Uconn team I've seen in a while. I pick on the inbounds plays, but looks like they've even developed (and/or are finally executing) one of those lately. He's figured out the right rotation/lineup..not only that, but he has this team playing at it's peak at the right time.

He's a young coach. He's been outcoached before and he will be again. But he clearly takes them as learning experiences. We've got a great potential coach here. And with Ollie's NBA connections and Uconn proving that it's still the same school, I can't wait to see his recruiting.

Reaction Score
In fairness JW has never been considered a good coach. Good recruiter maybe, but not a good coach.

Reaction Score
Like KO always says, coaching is overrated. The team that plays the best, wins. At the end of the day, basketball is make/miss. During the 2nd half, Villanova went cold and Shabazz went nuclear. Ballgame.
Just like the UK/WSU game yesterday.. at the end, Young made a long 3 and VanVleet missed a long 3. Ballgame Kentucky.
Yeah...I'm going to say that coaching is not overrated. Good coaches win with less talent, and their talent improves over time. For instance--in what world should Iowa State--without their 3rd best player, best offensive initiator, and their only big beat a UNC team full of McDonald's AA? In a world in which Hoiberg goes against Roy.

Furthermore, Kentucky is poorly coached, and that Wichita State was favored speaks their how good their coach is. 3 points doesn't make someone a good coach or not.

Reaction Score
Yeah...I'm going to say that coaching is not overrated. Good coaches win with less talent, and their talent improves over time. For instance--in what world should Iowa State--without their 3rd best player, best offensive initiator, and their only big beat a UNC team full of McDonald's AA? In a world in which Hoiberg goes against Roy.

Furthermore, Kentucky is poorly coached, and that Wichita State was favored speaks their how good their coach is. 3 points doesn't make someone a good coach or not.

Just bc they were MCD AA's doesn't make them better basketball players. Ejim and Kane are both better basketball players than anyone UNC has, even though they were rated lower coming out of high school. ISU wasn't doing anything ground-breaking. They just had a superior player who made a one-on-one play at the end. I didn't say coaching was irrelevant, but it doesn't matter as much as some would have you believe.

Reaction Score
Just bc they were MCD AA's doesn't make them better basketball players. Ejim and Kane are both better basketball players than anyone UNC has, even though they were rated lower coming out of high school. ISU wasn't doing anything ground-breaking. They just had a superior player who made a one-on-one play at the end. I didn't say coaching was irrelevant, but it doesn't matter as much as some would have you believe.

And how did they get to be superior basketball players?

Why does Josh Pastner have more talent than UVA and get killed?

Coaching is more than game-day. KO gave Samuel more time in February than he had gotten in a while, and it paid off on Saturday night. We came out with the right attitude and the right defensive mindset to beat Villanova, and that didn't happen by accident.

Reaction Score
Ollie has done a very good job with his line ups. He has gone small on a number of occasions this year. The extended stretch of small ball versus Nova was very effective.

I wouldn't give KO too much credit for the TSam move. His hand was forced. TSam made it look brilliant by stepping up big time.

Overall , the team looks well prepared, and is showing a good deal of poise even when the opponent gets their run.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yes KO outcoached Wright. But its gonna take a lot more to outcoach Hoiberg. Don't know about his defensive sets, but his offensive plays are really something.

Reaction Score
Ollie has done a very good job with his line ups. He has gone small on a number of occasions this year. The extended stretch of small ball versus Nova was very effective.

I wouldn't give KO too much credit for the TSam move. His hand was forced. TSam made it look brilliant by stepping up big time.

Overall , the team looks well prepared, and is showing a good deal of poise even when the opponent gets their run.
I'm giving him credit for making sure TSam got minutes earlier in the year, despite all of us thinking he was not going to be a contributor. He found a few minutes here and there in meaningful games to get TSam acclimated...and then, when his hand was forced, TSam came through.

Reaction Score
Has a winning coach ever gotten outcoached?
A thought, to back up what I said earlier: did anyone say Ollie outcoached Martelli? I don't think so (although I could be wrong). Martelli didn't coach circles around KO, but, by talent, that should not have gone to OT. Martelli outcoached KO, but our talent came through.

I think @dsturdy5 had a post where a well-connected basketball friend suggested something similar about the St. Joe's-UConn game, and then was impressed by the UConn-Nova game.

Reaction Score
in game coaching is overrated. It's very results oriented. make a substitute and the team goes on a run, than he gets praised for a great move. If the opposite happens, than he gets criticized. Most of the coaching comes in between games. Educating players on what to do in certain situations BEFORE they happen in the game is very important. Awareness and preparation by doing situation drills is very important. Obviously all the other teaching about basketball skills and playing as a team is essential. Once the game starts most of it is on the players.

Reaction Score
In fairness JW has never been considered a good coach. Good recruiter maybe, but not a good coach.

Really? Because his team did pretty damn well this year with not a single person that will ever even come close to being in the NBA.

Did KO outcoach JW this game? Yeah, probably. But there is literally nothing JW could have done to help his team make point-blank shots by the rim. They shot awful. UConn played great defense.

Reaction Score
in game coaching is overrated. It's very results oriented. make a substitute and the team goes on a run, than he gets praised for a great move. If the opposite happens, than he gets criticized. Most of the coaching comes in between games. Educating players on what to do in certain situations BEFORE they happen in the game is very important. Awareness and preparation by doing situation drills is very important. Obviously all the other teaching about basketball skills and playing as a team is essential. Once the game starts most of it is on the players.

THIS. In game coaching, while helpful, is trivial compared to what happens outside of games. It's figuring out how your team is going to play, and everyone's role, and getting buy in from the players, that makes a TEAM. This is the single area where Calhoun totally outdid all his competitors year after year (with the almost singular exception of his last season where his team never accepted his view of how they should play singularly and collectively).

Reaction Score
THIS. In game coaching, while helpful, is trivial compared to what happens outside of games. It's figuring out how your team is going to play, and everyone's role, and getting buy in from the players, that makes a TEAM. This is the single area where Calhoun totally outdid all his competitors year after year (with the almost singular exception of his last season where his team never accepted his view of how they should play singularly and collectively).
I'm factoring in specific, game-day prep for a specific team on this, when I credit coaching. That's not all in-game, but it's game specific.

Roy Williams never seems to have a specific offensive or defensive strategy.

Jim Calhoun did. Think of his plan against Elton Brand, for instance.

Also, because of specific game-plans, coaches often have to make adjustments. Those are important. A good coach makes solid adjustments (more Kromah in the second half against Galloway), and a poor one can't.

Your points are largely right, and in-game coaching matters very little versus game specific coaching, but I take those as two peas in the same pod...and distinct from the aspect of coaching that is teaching your players to have a specific identity and players to have specific roles.

Reaction Score
KO has shown he can coach.Look at the last play in regulation of St. Joe's game. He brings Brimah out near mid court to grab the high inbounds and then distributes for a last second 3. Didn't work but it was unexpected and inventive. As for Jay Wright, the Dove commercial has been in the can for awhile so who can blame him for taking the cash. It's like a Nova promo though.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Out coached him? Maybe

Out Testiculo'd him? Definitely (see: Half time win guarantee)
That was money, as was Allie LaForce's reaction to it.

Loved JC predicting that the tide was turning too when we were down something like 19-10.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
That was money, as was Allie LaForce's reaction to it.

I'd crawl through a 1000 yards of mine field, under barbed wire, with mortar fire overhead, just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer