Did Hurley give any reason why he did not play Akok? | The Boneyard

Did Hurley give any reason why he did not play Akok?

Reaction Score
He played like a minute. That's not a reason, Akok is major part of bench and rotation so he needs his mins too. Unless a physical issue needs to play.
We got a 19 point road win on a 7.5 point spread. Hurley managed the game just fine. Akok is a rim protector and low usage spot up shooter. He’s a role player. When Whaley and Martin are both playing great, there’s less of a need for that role. I’m sure more minutes will be there for the taking.

Reaction Score
3 minutes tonight, which is low even with Whaley and Sanogo playing well
They were early minutes, too. From 16:00-13:00 in 1st half. Butler does play somewhat small/perimeter focused bigs, so maybe it's just matchups. I just worry it's injury/illness or something.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Dan’s comments after the last game raised my eyebrows a bit about Akok. When he starts an answer with “he didn’t hurt us”, it generally isn’t a great sign.

If Akok isn’t making that corner three, it’s going to be tough to find him minutes as he’s just not providing anything else offensively outside of the odd dunk off a lob. His freshman year we saw a lot more of him taking the ball to the hoop and using his athleticism to make something happen but I have yet to see that part of his game return/evolve. At this point he’s a 3-and-D guy and the 3 hasn’t been falling lately.

Reaction Score
Dan’s comments after the last game raised my eyebrows a bit about Akok. When he starts an answer with “he didn’t hurt us”, it generally isn’t a great sign.

If Akok isn’t making that corner three, it’s going to be tough to find him minutes as he’s just not providing anything else offensively outside of the odd dunk off a lob. His freshman year we saw a lot more of him taking the ball to the hoop and using his athleticism to make something happen but I have yet to see that part of his game return/evolve. At this point he’s a 3-and-D guy and the 3 hasn’t been falling lately.
I think we’ll look back at his career arc as a sad story of injuries robbing someone of their potential. We thought he’d be bouknight before bouknight. I hope I’m wrong, but I think this is who he’ll be.

Reaction Score
We got a 19 point road win on a 7.5 point spread. Hurley managed the game just fine. Akok is a rim protector and low usage spot up shooter. He’s a role player. When Whaley and Martin are both playing great, there’s less of a need for that role. I’m sure more minutes will be there for the taking.

One of Chief’s criticisms of Hurley was not going with the hot hand, regardless of who it is. Last night he did just that, riding Martin who had played poorly last game. I thought Martin played lights out.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but it looks like Akok is not good enough for high level college basketball. Maybe he was never gonna be good enough, or maybe, before the injury, he was going to go on to be an all-time UConn great. It's even possible he improves and becomes "good enough." Whatever the details, there are very few situations where it makes basketball sense to have him in the game right now.

(Some of you are saying, "Uhh, yeah, no duh." This post is for the others who have been clamoring for more minutes for Akok.)

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but it looks like Akok is not good enough for high level college basketball. Maybe he was never gonna be good enough, or maybe, before the injury, he was going to go on to be an all-time UConn great. It's even possible he improves and becomes "good enough." Whatever the details, there are very few situations where it makes basketball sense to have him in the game right now.

(Some of you are saying, "Uhh, yeah, no duh." This post is for the others who have been clamoring for more minutes for Akok.)
Dumb post

Reaction Score
Akok is a physically weak player without confidence to put the ball on the floor to create a shot. He’s not strong enough to defend and bang against most BE players at his position. Hurley is about defense first. Until he shows something better I agree with Hurley.

Reaction Score
He just doesn't have the offensive skillset or size to be the player we expected. He was supposed to develop some handle and passing ability to make up for his lack of bulk. Injury robbed him of some of that, and maybe he just doesn't quite have the game sense or coordination.

He's a roleplayer. I think he's done quite well with what he's expected to do this year. Decent enough defense when the matchup is right, hitting his shots. He's just limited. If he's playing 10 mins a game or so he'll do fine. Much more than that and he'll struggle.

Reaction Score

I think he's definitely good enough for high-level college basketball. Kind of a silly statement to say that he's not.

With that being said, he was over-hyped as a freshman. He showed loads of potential, but was seriously inconsistent and at times a liability on the floor. Would he have reached that potential if the injury never happened? I dont know - but I suspect that some would've been disappointed with his progression anyways. We actually improved his freshman year after he went down -- Whaley got more playing time and showed he was a better player at that time.

Akok can definitely play at this level. We just need to readjust expectations. He's not a future lottery pick, but he's certainly nice to have off the bench.

Reaction Score
Dumb post

I think he's definitely good enough for high-level college basketball. Kind of a silly statement to say that he's not.

With that being said, he was over-hyped as a freshman. He showed loads of potential, but was seriously inconsistent and at times a liability on the floor. Would he have reached that potential if the injury never happened? I dont know - but I suspect that some would've been disappointed with his progression anyways. We actually improved his freshman year after he went down -- Whaley got more playing time and showed he was a better player at that time.

Akok can definitely play at this level. We just need to readjust expectations. He's not a future lottery pick, but he's certainly nice to have off the bench.
You can quibble with "high-level college basketball." In retrospect, I might not even agree with my own statement regarding that phrase. I stand by the rest, though. He's not good enough to get more minutes than he's already playing on this team, given our other options.

Great debate skills, @Hurleyman216.

Reaction Score
He's a tweener on both ends.

On offense, he's not a post-up guy like Sanogo, can't create his own shot like Martin, and isn't a good enough shooter that you set him up with screens like Polley.

Likewise, on defense, he can't bang in the post like Sanogo/Whaley and he can't keep up with anyone who would try to attack off the dribble like Jackson/Martin. He's a great weak-side or help defender with his shot-blocking ability, but that's about it.

Guys with his frame and skill set, tall, athletic, with good skill for a big, but not good enough for a wing, have just about always been overrated at the college level for exactly this reason.

Reaction Score
He's a tweener on both ends.

On offense, he's not a post-up guy like Sanogo, can't create his own shot like Martin, and isn't a good enough shooter that you set him up with screens like Polley.

Likewise, on defense, he can't bang in the post like Sanogo/Whaley and he can't keep up with anyone who would try to attack off the dribble like Jackson/Martin. He's a great weak-side or help defender with his shot-blocking ability, but that's about it.

Guys with his frame and skill set, tall, athletic, with good skill for a big, but not good enough for a wing, have just about always been overrated at the college level for exactly this reason.
He certainly needs to get stronger, but saying the guy isn’t good enough to play college bball is crazy. The reality is that we have better options. If Akok played for Butler he’d probably play 30+ minutes and average 15 points…it’s all perspective and many of our fans have lost it the past couple of seasons

Reaction Score
Whatever the details, there are very few situations where it makes basketball sense to have You can quibble with "high-level college basketball." In retrospect, I might not even agree with my own statement regarding that phrase. I stand by the rest, though. He's not good enough to get more minutes than he's already playing on this team, given our other options.

Great debate skills, @Hurleyman216.
@Get a Job thank you for rephrasing "high-level college basketball." In retrospect, I might not even agree with my own statement regarding that phrase.”

Akok is certainly worthy of more playing time on this team, people say all kinds of things mostly semi negative regarding his play. How can someone have any kind confidence when you had a very solid game against a team you played 48 hours before and you come in and what, play 2 minutes? Now not playing tough, can not guard well yada yada yada. Something is not right here, he was an enthusiastic player full of energy and would pump up his team and fans, not so much now. Last night on the bench he did not seem as engaged. He is certainly a better player than Polly and on equal with Whaley all around with the exception of man D. Akok needs more minutes on the floor than what he is seeing.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom