Did he really say that? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Did he really say that?

Reaction Score
Yep. Two great athletes or teams going to to toe with one getting a lucky bounce. We’ve seem some games like that this year, to the betterment of the sport.
Doesn't one team get the w and the other the L? The standings are usually listed as WLT...wins loses and ties...not WLTP where P is participated....I'm just being silly today in Florida...83 degree weather does that to me....

Reaction Score
Your first comment is it, in a nutshell. It makes us stronger but was not necessary. I fully expected Amari to be a way above average backup C from day one. Then after a year or so, be a way above average starter as she learns the ropes. Some of the great teams have super backup bigs, last year we did with undersized PF's in Griffin and even Mir, but not with a true C backup.

With Dorka, Amari doesn't have to be counted on in her freshmen year, but can still compete for that playing time if she earns it. Geno has far more style combinations he can work with, can press if he wants, and our ability to survive an injury without much drop off is greatly enhanced. Clearly the prospects for next year's team is better.

There is however a potential down side further down the road. Loyalty is a two way street, when you recruit a player, both sides probably feel a sense of that to each other. If it starts to appear like you recruit a very good player, and once she signs, immediately try to upgrade or replace her in the next class, then someone who is 10th or 15th in her class may be more hesitant to come here. With the new transfer rules that kind of loyalty may go out the window anyway, but whenever we land a recruit, I like to pencil that player into our plans for four years, instead of potentially considering them a short term rental if they are not a superstar.

The Uconn program and it's players get high marks on the character related issues, but I hope we don't become somewhat of a revolving door like so many other programs. So far we haven't been, so time will tell. It can also help if Geno at least tries to find some minutes whether they are critical ones or not, for as much of our talented bench as possible. He hints at more of a pressing style and more versatility in using his roster next year, and I am hoping to see that.
I don't see a problem if DJ plays just one season because AD certainly was going to be a back up next year anyway...........two years as a backup because of a transfer is a different matter........also she is considered more of a big forward then post so she will get minutes as an AE replacement too.......

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
When Einstein articulated "Relativity" who was the loser?
The old-line scientists whose careers and theories were in jeopardy or completely obviated. Einstein lost as well, since he never received the Nobel Prize for his General Theory of Relativity. He won for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect. Politics is everywhere.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This is not unprecedented. Need some help from old timers. Around 2000, weren't there two seniors who lost playing time to underclassmen, due to no fault of their own. The names Stacy Hanesmeyer and Paige Sauer come to mind. I didn't follow the team closely at that time, but hoping someone could clear up my fuzzy memory.

How did that all work out?

Also, Sue Bird's freshman year, didn't we go through several guards due to injuries?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
you may be one of the folks that consider her a bust but I certainly don't...........she's never going to be a physical low post banger like Charli Collier or Boston but if she played 30 plus minutes per game her numbers would be as good as any post player in the nation..........defensively she has been very good and her passing and screening on the offensive end are first rate.............it's her finishing at the basket against stronger opponents that's her major issue and what the coaches should be working on this summer.........and yes she needs to develop more confidence and aggression but she's come a long way in my opinion..............as I said in an earlier post. UConn shouldn't need her to score all that much next season with Fudd adding 15-20 points per game but I bet we see ONO and Edwards both get more open chances as defenses are stretched against the outside shooting barrage coming their way........BTW I can envision ONO and DJ playing at the same time just as Edwards and ONO did this past season.....
Look. We are all UCONN fans and WANT to see Liv improve, however it is now going into her senior year with still many things to improve on. She seems fine in regular games, but when it comes to 'crunch time' she disappears.............aka Arizona. :(

Reaction Score
the addition of DJ clearly makes the front court stronger but it was not an absolute necessity with DeBerry joining the team...........I think the calls for DJ to start over ONO were certainly a bit premature......
Ideally, she starts at the four and Alijah backs up both, with all three getting about equal minutes.

Reaction Score
the addition of DJ clearly makes the front court stronger but it was not an absolute necessity with DeBerry joining the team...........I think the calls for DJ to start over ONO were certainly a bit premature......
No one has any idea whether DeBerry is ready to be a major contributor as a Freshman. This gives her another year to develop without any pressure on her to perform at a high level immediately.

Reaction Score
you may be one of the folks that consider her a bust but I certainly don't...........she's never going to be a physical low post banger like Charli Collier or Boston but if she played 30 plus minutes per game her numbers would be as good as any post player in the nation..........defensively she has been very good and her passing and screening on the offensive end are first rate.............it's her finishing at the basket against stronger opponents that's her major issue and what the coaches should be working on this summer.........and yes she needs to develop more confidence and aggression but she's come a long way in my opinion..............as I said in an earlier post. UConn shouldn't need her to score all that much next season with Fudd adding 15-20 points per game but I bet we see ONO and Edwards both get more open chances as defenses are stretched against the outside shooting barrage coming their way........BTW I can envision ONO and DJ playing at the same time just as Edwards and ONO did this past season.....
I can picture this Board if we had been torched by Boston and all the other Bigs we played this past year without ONO. Horrid offensive performance in big games but ONO consistently stepped up on defense, passed well and outran her competition. 99% of the country would have loved to have an ONO on their team.

Reaction Score
Adding DJ certainly should put to rest the "we need more bigs". There was a recent time when that was absolutely correct. Ones that were recruited chose to go elsewhere. Happens. I expect now to hear (especially to what happened in the 2 losses) what we really needed was a small, quick guard to defend the super quick ones that torched us. Nika is our shortest non walk on player. When healthy she has the potential to best fill that need but I've already heard voices here lamenting the absence of Crystal Dangerfield. Variety is the spice of life :D.

Reaction Score
For every winner there has to be a loser....
Even if you're talking about minutes played in a basketball game that's patently false. The introduction of a new better player on a team that could negatively impact your time on the court will motivate most if not all players at this level to work harder to improve. I think that's called " win win". It's also true in most occupations.

Reaction Score
It is my sincere desire that Dorka’s addition to UConn’s roster is an unqualified success. But I do have concerns in adding a transfer to UConn’s already loaded team. Specifically, I am concerned about the potential consequences to the roster down the road when a logjam for PT is created, as well as the possibility that the development of talented young players is slowed due to a lack of PT. Hopefully, my concerns are not warranted and everything will work itself out.
Dorka addition is the difference between winning a Natty and not. Looking at their team for next year my thought was the front court will probably cost them the title. Then dorka transfers in, she is the answer not the problem.
The 5 from this year's team hasn't proved she can bring it in the big games

Reaction Score
No one has any idea whether DeBerry is ready to be a major contributor as a Freshman. This gives her another year to develop without any pressure on her to perform at a high level immediately.
You can't count on a freshman to fill that need especially on a team with championship goals.
Ohio St. D is a proven front court player who is definitely ready,tested and proven to be able to compete w any front court in the country

Reaction Score
I just recently listened to a UConn WBB podcast where the male host said that the acquiring of Dorka Juhasz didn't make any sense to him. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but how does acquiring more talent not make sense? How does having the deepest roster you can have not make sense? How does creating intense competition not make sense?
Not to mention the fact when you look over the landscape of wcbb next season the teams that can stand in UConn' way of winning a NC...Stanford, SoCarolina, Baylor just to name 3 all have imposing size... So adding a 6'4 experienced, all conf player actually makes a ton of sense. Good job Geno! I guess anyone can have a podcast these days!
Many BYers said the same and worse BEFORE GA took her on.

Reaction Score
Per the winning/ loser debate. I have a winning personality, does not mean you guys have losing ones.

Reaction Score
Dorka article from today

If I'm not mistaken, I could be wrong though, the photo at top of article looks like she wearing the Ohio State logo across the two front teeth.

1618502796210.png

Reaction Score
This move tells us as much about Geno’s opinion about his bigs as it tells us about his opinion of DJ. This isn’t just “she’s a good player, let’s bring her in.” He filled, what he thought, was a need.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Dorka addition is the difference between winning a Natty and not. Looking at their team for next year my thought was the front court will probably cost them the title. Then dorka transfers in, she is the answer not the problem.
Hope you’re right, but that’s a pretty big stretch imo. I suggest we temper our expectations for Dorka as well as the incoming freshmen until we see just how well they all mesh with the returning players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I'm running out of "That's a Stretch" meme's. Correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't this team reached the final four? From what I hear there's another great recruiting class coming in also. I also have to believe everyone returning "should improve" from this past season. Dorka is a good pickup for Geno, for sure it will bolster the post position but to say she's the difference of winning a Natty and not...to me is a stretch.

I Dont Think So Yeah Right GIF by Jason Clarke

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it is a valid point of view in a vacuum and from outside a program to question bringing in more bodies to a loaded roster. The negatives:
1. Someone is going to play fewer minutes, whether it is the new body or one of the current roster - that can by itself disrupt team chemistry.
2. The more experience a player has before arriving at Uconn, the more 'bad habits' need to be coached out.
3. The less eligibility a player has, the shorter the coaches have to work with them.
4. The more established players on a roster, the fewer minutes are available for the development of the less established players, likely slowing their development curve.

Geno knows all of the above, and he has actually stated he doesn't really like transfer because of the shorter development time, and the bad habits issue listed above. So, knowing all that, he still reached out to Dorka and recruited her. And he knows what he has on the team, and all the 'negative' aspects listed above of taking a transfer, and yet here she is. So is he a stupid coach making yet another bad decision, or does he maybe know what he is doing?

I would be in Oldude's camp of 'not needed' as a fan and looking from outside. But I am in Geno's corner in thinking him much better informed, much wiser, and much more experienced - so ...

Dorka is just what this team needed! Brilliant move! Coach is a genius! Flags waving, ticker tape parade queued up, fireworks ready for blast off! ? :cool:

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom