Did anyone see the Stanford/Tenn game late last night? | The Boneyard

Did anyone see the Stanford/Tenn game late last night?

Reaction Score
I looked at the scrolling play by play. No offense for Tenn. Shooting % very low. 7 assists in their entire game.
Not much to say about Stanford since I couldn't SEE them, though they did win by 27 points.

Reaction Score
I looked at the scrolling play by play. No offense for Tenn. Shooting % very low. 7 assists in their entire game.
Not much to say about Stanford since I couldn't SEE them, though they did win by 27 points.
Yes. TN was bigger and more athletic. Stanford was smarter and ran offense. Stanford got great contributions from their freshmen - Jones, Jump, Prechtel. They will continue to get better - prob deserve to be #1.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yes. TN was bigger and more athletic. Stanford was smarter and ran offense. Stanford got great contributions from their freshmen - Jones, Jump, Prechtel, Wilson. They will continue to get better - prob deserve to be #1.

How did Beliebi look? I think she fouled out with very few minutes but besides that?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Game thread was on the General WBB board:

Reaction Score
How did Beliebi look? I think she fouled out with very few minutes but besides that?
Yeah she didn’t play a lot, got in foul trouble. The announcers focused on videos of her dunking, and she disappointed them there too.

Reaction Score
The next 3 to 4 years are going to be intense between Stanford and UConn. When Tara has good teams she tends to find ways to disrupt the free flowing offense that Geno likes to play.

Reaction Score
Yes. TN was bigger and more athletic. Stanford was smarter and ran offense. Stanford got great contributions from their freshmen - Jones, Jump, Prechtel, Wilson. They will continue to get better - prob deserve to be #1.
Wilson is a senior. Belibi is the other frosh. I agree that the Stanford frosh are ready to play now.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'll be honest - i almost never look at the general WCBB board. I don't get it and think it's a waste, but I realize I'm in the minority. So I'm glad when good threads show up on the UCONN side so I can see what's going on.

Tennessee came out strong, but when Davis picked up her 2nd foul, Stanford went on a big run to end the quarter and Tennessee never recovered. Make you wonder if Davis had stayed out of foul trouble if the wheels woudln't have come off so early for Tennessee, or at all.

Still, great seeing them lose. Maybe it will drop them out of the top 25. Hopefully they lose a ton of games in the SEC...

Almost never?
How about never.
Don't even know where it is
(and not interested in finding out).

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Love the General Women's Basketball section for what it's worth. Was watching Stanford-Tenn on the computer last night plus some of the replay on PAC-12 this morning. By the way, PAC-12 game was in HD, big improvement from SD of last year. The first half some of the worst D1 women's bball I've seen this year. Both Stanford and Tenn missed shot after shot. Haley Jones not particularly noteworthy. Stanford finally turned it around from around late Q3. Their FG percentage didn't change very much from the 2nd half (low 40s) but they started making some 3s. Tenn in the 25% range for FG, & only made 1/2 their FTs. Stan made a lot of unsuccessful set & jump shots, largely because they couldn't make layups. Lots of rebounding because no one could score inside. Exception was Stanford's Kianna Williams, who could get in close and occasionally make a layup.

Reaction Score
The next 3 to 4 years are going to be intense between Stanford and UConn. When Tara has good teams she tends to find ways to disrupt the free flowing offense that Geno likes to play.

When was the last time Stanford won the NC? 1992.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Game thread was on the General WBB board:
And is where this thread belongs. IMO.

And yes, I didn't have to open this thread if I felt this way but I did open it just to make this comment before I Ignore it.

Reaction Score
Wilson is a senior. Belibi is the other frosh. I agree that the Stanford frosh are ready to play now.

Going into the NCAA's with 2 freshman playing a lot is not a winning formula. UConn faces the same thing, relying on 2 sophomores and 2 freshman. That's the main reason I think Oregon will win it.

Reaction Score
No one gets the TV station that broadcast this game. It is sad that the usual suspects ( ESPN, FSI, etc. ) can't recognize a game of interest.

Reaction Score
Interest has nothing to do with it, the Pac12 network owned the rights to the game!
I live in LA and didn't get the game. It must be a network one has to pay for. Is that right?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Going into the NCAA's with 2 freshman playing a lot is not a winning formula. UConn faces the same thing, relying on 2 sophomores and 2 freshman. That's the main reason I think Oregon will win it.
Stanford must really get under your skin. Look no further than your own team for lessons on the impact of great frosh classes: your very own Huskies won in 2012-13 in a championship game featuring 30 minutes from Stewwie, 18 minutes from Tuck, and 14 from Mo.

If there's any year where I think a team with Big Frosh Energy can win it, it's this year, because there's a lot of parity, and every team has weaknesses.

Reaction Score
I watched the game... If Tennessee had any semblance of an offense they would be won that game easily. They are challenged on the perimeter and they're not much better in the paint when a team can challenge their height. Very ugly basketball! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Stanford must really get under your skin. Look no further than your own team for lessons on the impact of great frosh classes: your very own Huskies won in 2012-13 in a championship game featuring 30 minutes from Stewwie, 18 minutes from Tuck, and 14 from Mo.

If there's any year where I think a team with Big Frosh Energy can win it, it's this year, because there's a lot of parity, and every team has weaknesses.

I'm being realistic while you want to see things in the best possible light. And I resent you characterizing my feelings for Stanford. They may be "your girls" but I'm not that sort of fan, so back off.
There are no Stewarts on either team's freshman roster. She was the reason for UConn's title that year, along with a lack of a better opponent. But she was also perhaps the GOAT, and certainly in the conversation.
Freshman have a habit of losing their minds at bad moments. Try looking at the 2001 final four performance by freshman Taurasi. Ever hear of her? She was instramental in 3 titles but not as a freshman. Does my saying that mean UConn "gets under my skin"? You want to win a debate so you ignore anything that doesn't support your POV. Only happy thoughts allowed?
Relying on freshmen or even sophomores in big games away from a friendly crowd is very risky and when you ask them to play 4 games in a row (I don't count the first weekend of the NCAA's) at a high level you are likely to lose a game.
Let's keep this friendly, OK? I like Stanford. I sometimes resent the way games at Maples are officiated but that's my bias at work. I wish there were a dozen more programs like Stanford. So stop trying to read my mind and stick to basketball, OK?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom