Did anyone notice? | The Boneyard

Did anyone notice?

Reaction Score
USF, I will grant, is a vertically challenged team. Still, the gal who jumps center has Gabby by a couple of inches. Nevertheless, if you will check out the game’s opening tip on replay, the USF center “concedes” the tip to Gabby, much like what we used to see in the men’s game when all tieups led to jump balls and a 6’ player “jumped” against one 7’. Pretty amazing when a player acknowledges she’s vertically overmatched against a shorter opponent! But then, this is Gabby, after all!

Reaction Score
USF, I will grant, is a vertically challenged team. Still, the gal who jumps center has Gabby by a couple of inches. Nevertheless, if you will check out the game’s opening tip on replay, the USF center “concedes” the tip to Gabby, much like what we used to see in the men’s game when all tieups led to jump balls and a 6’ player “jumped” against one 7’. Pretty amazing when a player acknowledges she’s vertically overmatched against a shorter opponent! But then, this is Gabby, after all!
Yes. I noticed it immediately. And frankly, IMO, it was an immediate act of surrender which I think was a psychological error. Even if 9 times out of 10 Gabby would win the tip, there is always a possibility that... Ever bet the heavy favorite at the track and lost? Getting back 1½ seconds sooner to defend isn't a fair trade-off with a psychological surrender at the very beginning of a game against Goliath. :confused: :D

Reaction Score
It actually has happened a number of times this year - last night the ref also threw the ball up significantly off-line - it was pretty much right over Gabby's head.
Agree, I have noticed the same "surrender of the tip" in the last few games. Almost like "the word is out"... don't bother trying to out jump Gabby! :cool::cool::cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yup, not even the pretense of a contest on that tip and it was the same the last game at least. My first thought: wait, is Z starting? Did a double take.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
She has conceded the jump ball after the first time that Gabby out jumped her in last years game at the XL center in the 102 to 37 win.

Reaction Score
Maybe off focus, but saw Walker standing next to Gabby and Gabby looked taller. Anyone know if Walker is truly 6'1"? No slight to her since she has the skills to play against anyone.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Following the Lynx last season I noticed Fowles conceded the tip. Here's an excerpt from an article regarding that strategy.

The team that loses the opening tipoff receives the ball to start the second and third quarters. The Lynx believe beginning the second half with a basket provides an extra jolt of momentum.

Seimone Augustus, in her 12th season with the Lynx, said losing opening tipoffs is one of multiple quirky strategies the Lynx have, examples of Reeve’s obsession with details. Augustus declined to list any others, but she believes this one has been around since Reeve became coach in 2010.

“I don’t know what other people’s scouting reports look like,” Augustus said, “but we have a miniature phone book.”

Losing the opening tip isn’t part of scouting reports, though. It is a cemented idea, one that took 6-6 center Sylvia Fowles a few games to learn after she came to the Lynx in 2015. Four of the opening tips the Lynx lost in 2015 came within a month of Fowles arriving via trade.

“Out of habit, I used to tip it and give it to us,” Fowles said. “And she [Reeve] was like, ‘No, no, no, no, no. We don’t want the jump ball.’ ”

Now, Fowles sometimes performs a “fake jump.” She crouches and looks prepared to take off but never leaves the floor. Other times, she will tap the ball to an opponent.

And when the tipped basketball comes the Lynx’s way?

“Everybody just kind of backs up,” Augustus said.

If it works for the Patriots ...

Football teams, including the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, often defer possession to the second half with hopes of finishing the second quarter with the period’s last possession and a score. They then receive the ball to start the third quarter, which could mean two touchdowns without their opponents possessing the ball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Following the Lynx last season I noticed Fowles conceded the tip. Here's an excerpt from an article regarding that strategy.

The team that loses the opening tipoff receives the ball to start the second and third quarters. The Lynx believe beginning the second half with a basket provides an extra jolt of momentum.

Seimone Augustus, in her 12th season with the Lynx, said losing opening tipoffs is one of multiple quirky strategies the Lynx have, examples of Reeve’s obsession with details. Augustus declined to list any others, but she believes this one has been around since Reeve became coach in 2010.

“I don’t know what other people’s scouting reports look like,” Augustus said, “but we have a miniature phone book.”

Losing the opening tip isn’t part of scouting reports, though. It is a cemented idea, one that took 6-6 center Sylvia Fowles a few games to learn after she came to the Lynx in 2015. Four of the opening tips the Lynx lost in 2015 came within a month of Fowles arriving via trade.

“Out of habit, I used to tip it and give it to us,” Fowles said. “And she [Reeve] was like, ‘No, no, no, no, no. We don’t want the jump ball.’ ”

Now, Fowles sometimes performs a “fake jump.” She crouches and looks prepared to take off but never leaves the floor. Other times, she will tap the ball to an opponent.

Football teams, including the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, often defer possession to the second half with hopes of finishing the second quarter with the period’s last possession and a score. They then receive the ball to start the third quarter, which could mean two touchdowns without their opponents possessing the ball.
Wonder what will happen when two teams decide to follow that same strategy! Ref throws it up both teams retreat to their defensive ends and the ball slowly bounces up and down at the center circle! Would love to see it! :confused::eek::cool::rolleyes::)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So next year, assuming Z jumps center, opposing teams won’t even bother lining up near mid court, but simply retreat back under the basket they’re defending to set up their defense.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Losing the tip to Gabby, Lass, at the Duquesne game looked left to her teammate and smiled. As if they had a friendly wager, or an "I told you so" going on.

Reaction Score

Pros is different. In college, after the initial jump ball, they rotate after each tie up. Even after quarters and the half.

Reaction Score
Pros is different. In college, after the initial jump ball, they rotate after each tie up. Even after quarters and the half.
So in college you have a 50/50 chance of having one less possession if you concede the opening tip (even number of "jump balls" it doesn't matter, odd number you lose one). I guess some teams might do it anyway, but seems like if you lost a one point game after getting one less possession you'd feel kind of stupid. Of course playing UConn, you might be pretty sure that isn't something you need to worry about. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom