Diarra--he earned extended PT for the future | The Boneyard

Diarra--he earned extended PT for the future

Reaction Score
He showed he can score a few easy baskets and rebounded at a great rate--he was active bouncy played hard and effectively. I dont think hes much more than 6-6 but he should start C next game.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone doubts his skills and motor. It's his knees that will hold him back. Chronic conditions don't disappear. He'll have days like today and days when he doesn't play a minute. Temper your expectations. He was brought in to help get Diallo. They knew about his knee issues.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Loved his energy on both ends of the court. He's going to get a lot of burn from here on out...

Reaction Score
The real hero tonight was CV. We would’ve Lost by 15 points at least if he wasn’t playing tonight.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Thought his performance had less to do with his skills and more to do with how important it is that this team can rebound. Without Cobb, he filled that void tonight. We still have issues with our front court.

Wish Carlton got some more run tonight... I was surprised to see him on the bench for a majority of the game, earning only 3 mins. I think that's a mistake as he has shown the ability to rebound effectively.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Starting is not all that important, but playing time is

He needs to keep himself on the court, he only gets 5 fouls like everyone else

Reaction Score
Diarra is the most highly rated recruit of our big men. He has spent the most time in our system. KO alluded to him being a starter in the preseason. He is presumably 100%. He played a total of 20 minutes in the first five games including a dnp-cd. He has looked the best out of all the bigs in the two opportunities he's been given. Riddle me that.

I don't think he is the key to the season who is going to help us surpass all expectations but I have been flummoxed by this development.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The real hero tonight was CV. We would’ve Lost by 15 points at least if he wasn’t playing tonight.

His shot fell, but Diarra is the guy who lead the comeback. His energy on both ends of the floor changed the intensity level for the others, including Vital. Especially on defense. It was also key that once he made a few interior baskets, the outside shots started opening up for CV and others, even if the "others" mostly missed them.

It was the leadership I've been looking for on this team all season. We have desperately needed a guy who plays so hard that he makes the other guys look bad. Polley also brings energy on D.

Reaction Score
I don't think the reaction in this thread is nearly positive enough. Mamadou was spectacular! If you gave me a choice -- beat Columbia by 25 behind strong performances from Adams and Larrier or beat them by 4 in overtime behind 10 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks from Diarra, I would take the latter in an instant. At last there is hope on the horizon. What a potential force this man is underneath. I say "potential" because he needs to learn to stay on the court. He is already a force when he's in the game. Although probably no more than 6-7 or so, he is effectively a 7-footer with his freakishy enormous wingspan. He exudes energy, has literally a non-stop motor and absolutely knows what his job is. He is exciting. With game experience, he can become as important to us as Adrien ever was -- more important, because he is physically more gifted. Yes, yes, I know -- if he can stay healthy, but that can be said of every player on this fragile team.

Reaction Score
He has said his knees are fine. He practices everyday. He need to start and figure out how not to commit stupid fouls.
YES, early on I felt like he was getting what I call the Shonn Miller treatment, where whenever his hand touched another player it was called a foul, but last night I saw a handful of totally stupid fouls that easily could have been avoided by him. I hope the staff focuses on this with him, because its clear he gives us something out there that the other bigs don't quite have, or maybe short of Cobb who I can't even remember anymore. We need to teach him how to be a defensive pest without getting those needless fouls in bad situations, then he will be able to be on the court more.

I think he and Carlton can help out our offense a lot, because with Big Dave in there he grabs a lot of boards and sets some heavy picks, but we cant even go to him for dump downs.

We need more dump downs anyways though, we have guys like Carlton who know how to grab the ball and get it up quick, and we seem to have a few guys who can get to the rim at will. We need Jalen/Alterique/Antoine to have Carlton open to pass to at the last second for an open dunk

Reaction Score
He showed he can score a few easy baskets and rebounded at a great rate--he was active bouncy played hard and effectively. I dont think hes much more than 6-6 but he should start C next game.
Finally someone who reminds me of Adrien......finally

Reaction Score
I don't think the reaction in this thread is nearly positive enough. Mamadou was spectacular! If you gave me a choice -- beat Columbia by 25 behind strong performances from Adams and Larrier or beat them by 4 in overtime behind 10 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks from Diarra, I would take the latter in an instant. At last there is hope on the horizon. What a potential force this man is underneath. I say "potential" because he needs to learn to stay on the court. He is already a force when he's in the game. Although probably no more than 6-7 or so, he is effectively a 7-footer with his freakishy enormous wingspan. He exudes energy, has literally a non-stop motor and absolutely knows what his job is. He is exciting. With game experience, he can become as important to us as Adrien ever was -- more important, because he is physically more gifted. Yes, yes, I know -- if he can stay healthy, but that can be said of every player on this fragile team.
Poor mans elton brand.

Reaction Score
Diarra definitely played with fire last night...reminded me a little of Jeff Adrien (one of my favorite UConn players).
He just needs to learn to stay out of foul trouble.

CV was definitely our savior last night...without him we lose that game by double digits.
With that said, he has also been pretty streaky recently...but when he's on, HE'S ON.

I wonder how a starting lineup of Adams, Vital, Larrier, Diarra, Cobb (when healthy) would work.

Reaction Score
great motor by MD21 last night. haven't had a physical presence like that in a while on the boards. Hoping it gives him some confidence and he can upon it.

Last night was a win. Easy to get down on the team/HCKO....however love the grit of some of the pups.

Reaction Score
He better get more PT against Monmouth. Great job last night. Let's see if he can keep it up.

Reaction Score
He looked like the sure starter in preseason. Then when the gun sounded, he was nowhere to be found. Ollie nailed him to the bench.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you don’t like Diarra, it’s probably because your mama do.
giphy.gif

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't mind DO as the starter in a TO capacity. Diarra earned playing time. So Diarra or Carlton first big sub?

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
He has said his knees are fine. He practices everyday. He need to start and figure out how not to commit stupid fouls.

His best value is coming off the bench for Cobb. This way his habit for bad fouls can be stretched out during the game. After that bring in Carlton and DO. Diarra s efforts would be enhanced coming off the bench.
DO should only be used to inflict pain and harass other teams bigs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom