Diana Taurasi is Michael Jordan/Larry Bird/Jerry West | The Boneyard

Diana Taurasi is Michael Jordan/Larry Bird/Jerry West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just wished all those three would say on ESPN that DT is THEM playing the women's game. Tell mainstream American bb fans that watching DT is the closest thing to seeing them playing the game. Enjoy it now, because its a once in a lifetime opportunity to see shear greatness on the court. This apparent dismissal of the women's game, due to gender, is explainable. To watch DT play is a slice of heaven! I am just so thrilled that I can enjoy her Greatness.

ps Maya Moore is not that far behind as the next great one.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't compare Diana to Jerry West. Jerry West couldn't play defense to save his life!

But as much as Maya is amazing, Pistol Pete Maravich was the most unbelievable scoring machine I have ever seen. He averaged over 40 points per game each and every year in college. In the NBA, he averaged over 30 ppg after three years. Then he hurt his knees.

I think the more apt comparison in the men's game with Maya Moore is David Thompson. He could do anything: rebound, dish off, jump, shoot from anywhere. He was absolutely amazing.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I wouldn't compare Diana to Jerry West. Jerry West couldn't play defense to save his life!

But as much as Maya is amazing, Pistol Pete Maravich was the most unbelievable scoring machine I have ever seen. He averaged over 40 points per game each and every year in college. In the NBA, he averaged over 30 ppg after three years. Then he hurt his knees.

I think the more apt comparison in the men's game with Maya Moore is David Thompson. He could do anything: rebound, dish off, jump, shoot from anywhere. He was absolutely amazing.

Are we forgetting Clyde Frazier, whose superb -- clutch! -- offensive play was not fully acknowledged because his defensive skills were off the charts.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
Are we forgetting Clyde Frazier, whose superb -- clutch! -- offensive play was not fully acknowledged because his defensive skills were off the charts.

Clyde developed his defensive skills at SIU in Carbondale during the year he was ineligible to play. He was allowed to practice, though, and played nothing but defense. Man oh man, was he smooth whenever he got the ball into his hands.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
After watching DT in the WNBA this season I had started to doubt how much she had left to give. After watching her in the Olympics I am convinced that she is the best player in the world/ever. It's not just her own skill, it's what she does for everyone on the team. The ultimate player and teammate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like Larry Bird for a Taurasi comparison. Huge BBIQ, clutch three point shooting, wants the ball when the game is on the line and confidence to the point of arrogance.

FWIW, Bird is probably my favorite NBA player of all time.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Clyde developed his defensive skills at SIU in Carbondale during the year he was ineligible to play. He was allowed to practice, though, and played nothing but defense. Man oh man, was he smooth whenever he got the ball into his hands.

A little enlightenment for our younger 'Yarders may be in order. The legendary player we are discussing is Walt Frazier of the NY Knicks. He starred on one of the greatest bb teams ever, NBA champions in 1970 and 1973. That was about the time that "Bonnie and Clyde" captured public attention; it was a movie about notorious bank robbers Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker. Walt was so adept (as a thief) on defense that he was tagged with the nickname, Clyde, which he still owns. He was so dominant that Willis Reed once said, admiringly: "It's Clyde's ball. He just let's us play with it once in a while."

One of the all-time epic games in bb history took place in the 1970 NBA Finals. The LA Lakers not only demolished the Knicks in game 6, but team captain and heart and soul of NY, Willis Reed, suffered a severe thigh injury. His status for game 7 was seriously doubtful. So when he came on the court, the Madison Square Garden crowd was electrified by his courageous appearance. He made two baskets, pandemonium erupted and his teammates were inspired, none more than Clyde Frazier. He scored 36 points, 19 assists, and 5 steals to lead the Knicks to the NBA Championship in what is still called "The Willis Reed Game."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm going to get a lot of grief for this....Dee IS likely the greatest player of all time, but I don't think she deserves uncensored praise. She rarely goes to the hoop anymore, she rebounds "selectively" and she can be absolutely terrible on defense. Sometimes she waves at her opponent and almost always she can't keep a quick opponent from taking the baseline. Having said that, no one sees the court as well, passes as creatively, shoots better in the clutch, or pushes her teammates harder.
The wod I'm trying to type is measure preceded by un.
I'm typing on an old ipad and can't change uncensored to unmeasured

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm going to get a lot of grief for this....Dee IS likely the greatest player of all time, but I don't think she deserves uncensored praise. She rarely goes to the hoop anymore, she rebounds "selectively" and she can be absolutely terrible on defense. Sometimes she waves at her opponent and almost always she can't keep a quick opponent from taking the baseline. Having said that, no one sees the court as well, passes as creatively, shoots better in the clutch, or pushes her teammates harder.

Jim Brown is generally considered the greatest NFL running back. Even he had critics who said that he was neither great blocker nor much of a pass catcher. His response:

"All Caruso could do was sing."

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score

All well and good, but remember he tried to get us to buy the Ford Pinto. Geez.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
After watching DT in the WNBA this season I had started to doubt how much she had left to give. After watching her in the Olympics I am convinced that she is the best player in the world/ever. It's not just her own skill, it's what she does for everyone on the team. The ultimate player and teammate.

Perhaps you heard the game announcer quoting Torrens. Without a doubt, greatest in the world is Taurasi, not only because she can do things on the court that no one else can do, but what she does for everyone on the court . The whole world got a reminder in these games.

Reaction Score
I like Larry Bird for a Taurasi comparison. Huge BBIQ, clutch three point shooting, wants the ball when the game is on the line and confidence to the point of arrogance.

FWIW, Bird is probably my favorite NBA player of all time.
Totally valid comparison in my opinion: Bird and DT had the presence and court vision, 3-point shooting, clutch, incredible passing, brazen confidence, and the ability to take their defender off the dribble without having a quick first step.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Quoting Professor Henry Higgins: "I think I've got it!"

The one word that describes Diana (especially with her familial Latina connection).

Diana has duende!

(Unique Spanish term ascribed admiringly, even reverently, to someone capable of inspiring passion in others.);)

Reaction Score
I just wished all those three would say on ESPN that DT is THEM playing the women's game. Tell mainstream American bb fans that watching DT is the closest thing to seeing them playing the game. Enjoy it now, because its a once in a lifetime opportunity to see shear greatness on the court. This apparent dismissal of the women's game, due to gender, is explainable. To watch DT play is a slice of heaven! I am just so thrilled that I can enjoy her Greatness.

ps Maya Moore is not that far behind as the next great one.

She's the best player on the court when she's in uni no doubt. Even at 34-35 she's in fantastic shape and controls the game with ball in hands. What the womens game now needs is for these type comparison's to stay within their world. No need to compare her to Larry Bird, compare her to Meyer or Swoopes or Lieberman. I know one thing for sure, there will be plenty of women players growing up hoping they are compared to Diana, Sue and Maya during their careers, that will put them in a good place for sure.

Anyway reality is the Larry comparison is closer I think because she can play most positions on the offensive end, clutch 3 point shooter and great court vision. And she just has "it"!

Reaction Score

Clyde The Glide!!!! Absolutely amazing! Couldn't be stopped! And was amazing defensively. Maya is probably far better in the women's game than Clyde was in the men's game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She's also 34 years old and has been playing year round for what, 12 years now? She's still the first player I would pick if I could choose anyone in the world.

Maya is an incredible player but she does HER job and doesn't lead the way DT does. Basketball is a team sport and DT has the biggest impact on the entire team.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Clyde The Glide!!!! Absolutely amazing! Couldn't be stopped! And was amazing defensively. Maya is probably far better in the women's game than Clyde was in the men's game.

Sorry, it was "Clyde the Glide" Drexler of Phi Gamma Jamma. Teammate of "Akeem the Dream" Olajavan.

And no, Maya is not far better than Clyde Frazier. Comparable? OK.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Sorry, it was "Clyde the Glide" Drexler of Phi Gamma Jamma. Teammate of "Akeem the Dream" Olajavan.

And no, Maya is not far better than Clyde Frazier. Comparable? OK.

Per 36 minutes

Moore
21.5 ppg, 7.5 rbg, 3.9 apg, 1.9 steals per game, 0.9 blocks per game

Frazier
18.1 ppg, 5.6 rbg, 5.9 apg, 1.8 steals per game, 0.2 blocks per game

I'd call that about comparable :)

Reaction Score
Well, I'm still on the Dee vs. Maya comparison for the Olympics. I agree completely that Dee ranks as the greatest female b-ball player of all time. No argument. But I do think that, while she was great in 3 pointers and overall team leadership, in the Olympics this year she was weak on rebounding and a liability on defense.
AND: let's not forget that she was often being set up for her threes by her career-long pal, Sue. Of course, other times she did an awesome job of creating space on her own.

Maya was amazing in all parts of the game. Although easttexastrash makes an excellent point that Maya tends to play within herself emotionally and that Dee sets the highest bar for team leadership, Maya got so many loose balls and rebounds and her overall court game was so magnificent, that it is leadership by example.

I know I'm in the very small minority here, but if I were forced to choose the most valuable player on the US Olympic team this year, by a painfully small margin I'd vote for Maya. Ok, I'm ducking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom