Diana Taurasi...coming back? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diana Taurasi...coming back?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That’s an interesting idea. DT could be a boost to attendance and a mentor to young players for an expansion team that’s probably just trying to be respectful in their 1st season.
If you were Diana would you see any attraction in that? I don't think so. She has spend here entire career/adult life in Phoenix. I think she'd want to go out in a Mercury uniform.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I remember George Blanda as the quarterback for the Houston Oilers. The thing that let him play for so long was that he was an excellent place kicker.
My favorite George Blanda story. In 1971 Blanda was the place kicker and backup QB for the Oakland Raiders, which was also Phil Villapiano’s rookie year. Villapiano idolized Blanda from the time he was a kid growing up in NJ, but he was afraid to say a word to Blanda until he was sure he had made the team.

When Phil finally found out he had made the Raiders, he went over to Blanda like a groupie to a rock star and started gushing about how he idolized him as a kid, and would always pretend he was Blanda during pickup football games.

After effectively being reminded just how old he was by Villapiano, Blanda paused for a second, looked at Phil and said, “f… you.” :)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you were Diana would you see any attraction in that? I don't think so. She has spend here entire career/adult life in Phoenix. I think she'd want to go out in a Mercury uniform.
You may be right. But at her age and salary level, I’m not sure many WNBA teams are willing to make a financial commitment to DT, including Phoenix. On the other hand, an expansion team like SF is going to have a few rookies and essentially several castoffs from other teams. The Valkyrie will not win a championship next season. So the possibility of signing DT as a way to boost ticket sales and interest is something to think about.

Of course all this depends on whether or not DT wants to continue playing, and if so, for a team other than Phoenix, assuming Phoenix decides to move on. Time will tell.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You may be right. But at her age and salary level, I’m not sure many WNBA teams are willing to make a financial commitment to DT, including Phoenix. On the other hand, an expansion team like SF is going to have a few rookies and essentially several castoffs from other teams. The Valkyrie will not win a championship next season. So the possibility of signing DT as a way to boost ticket sales and interest is something to think about.

Of course all this depends on whether or not DT wants to continue playing, and if so, for a team other than Phoenix, assuming Phoenix decides to move on. Time will tell.
Wasn't Diana a California kid? So maybe it's a hook. I do understand how Diana could work for the Valkyrie, but I would hate to see her endure what their first season would look like in all probability.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wasn't Diana a California kid? So maybe it's a hook. I do understand how Diana could work for the Valkyrie, but I would hate to see her endure what their first season would look like in all probability.
DT grew up in Chino, CA, just southeast of LA. So yes, she’s a CA kid. But Chino is still a long way from the Bay Area. As for enduring a first season with the Valkyrie? I don’t know if DT would view it that way. She’s always been fearless on the basketball court, and might just view the opportunity to play 1 to 2 more years with an expansion team as a great challenge.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
DT grew up in Chino, CA, just southeast of LA. So yes, she’s a CA kid. But Chino is still a long way from the Bay Area. As for enduring a first season with the Valkyrie? I don’t know if DT would view it that way. She’s always been fearless on the basketball court, and might just view the opportunity to play 1 to 2 more years with an expansion team as a great challenge.
Where did the saying come from: May you live in interesting times. Diana on the Valkyrie would certainly add spice to the WNBA.

PS. Or is it: May you be condemned to live in interesting times? I like that better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowlingDawg

Top Bottom