Diana Taurasi...coming back? | The Boneyard

Diana Taurasi...coming back?

Reaction Score
Retirement is about…everything. And each goes to a personal rhythm. Dee is who she is. I watched and worried as Mantle limped through his final seasons. And was grateful that Willie Mays knew to leave sooner. Old time boxing fans used to sadly remember old Joe Louis getting savagely beaten in 1951.

Dee won’t languish. Kids keep you busy. Her future is bright…and her legacy permanent.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
IMHO it's far better to leave with some gas in the tank than bone dry!
Her legacy is already complete, why have her fans remember her as a tired once great player!
The last view is always the most remembered!
maybe D does not care much about legacy. perhaps she simply just really enjoys playing the game. might that be more valuable to her than how fans perceive her? i suspect that she may be more concerned with how her decision will affect her teammates' success -- will returning help them win or, in the long run, be a negative by impeding youngsters' development.

Reaction Score
maybe D does not care much about legacy. perhaps she simply just really enjoys playing the game. might that be more valuable to her than how fans perceive her? i suspect that she may be more concerned with how her decision will affect her teammates' success -- will returning help them win or, in the long run, be a negative by impeding youngsters' development.
PacoSwede- - The other thing DT has to think about is injuries happen easier when the body gets old!
She has been hurt more and more the last several seasons!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
It is very difficult for some people to retire regardless of their profession. Especially if the profession has defined their lives. D falls in this category, IMO. As I think it does for many athletes.

I do not pretend to know what D will do. I can only go by my experiences with myself and my friends. For myself, my mentor and cooperating teacher when I was student teacher told me that I would know went it was time to retire, to walk away to other adventures. Being like 23/ 24, his advice didn't register. But he was correct. That little voice in my head told me it was time. I'm glad I listened.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
One of her quotes says she would be interested in ownership of a franchise...I'm assuming she means in
the WNBA...an NBA team would be smart to chat with her also...imo.

Reaction Score
Well said. I believe every player should make their own decisions bout when they should retire. Caring fans look at a dvancing age as a sure shot omen to oncoming disasters. Perfect example is George Blanda, Played into his 50's.If Diana believes she can still contribute in a meaningful way, Go for it and lead your lifa as you want. If you decide yes, I wish you a fantastic season.The phrase" we have Diana and you don't" is still relevant. GO DIANA!!!!!

Reaction Score
I have no problem with athletes playing as long as they want - it's just important that coaching decisions are made in a way that is appropriate for their current abilities, not how they used to be.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with athletes playing as long as they want - it's just important that coaching decisions are made in a way that is appropriate for their current abilities, not how they used to be.
And that is virtually impossible when you're talking about a GOAT

There is not a coach alive who could set DT or Tom Brady or Hank Aaron without the approval of that GOAT.

If Dee returns next year with the same infrastructure in place in Phoenix it will make Willie Mays last year look like a humming success.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
For me Diana is the GOAT of her time, but that time has come and gone and she should not have been on the Olympic squad. Reeves kept playing her but she was awful. She sat the final out. A day or two later she said she was thinking about maybe making it to the next one. Maybe she was just joking. I do hope for her sake and the sake of the Mercury she hangs it up.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think DT is going to take her vacation, and then when it comes time for start her off season regime she will make her first decision:
Do I really want to bust my butt for the next 4 months to get ready for training camp - if she is still excited about that process she will go full steam ahead. Then the second inflection point comes about 2-4 weeks before training camp:

Do I actually feel good enough to be competitive in the W? If she thinks she is, then she will not retire.

Once you retire there really is no coming back, so I believe she will make sure she can't do it before she hangs em up. I get the idea she still loves the process, and the travel, and the games, and the comradery.

Reaction Score
And that is virtually impossible when you're talking about a GOAT

There is not a coach alive who could set DT or Tom Brady or Hank Aaron without the approval of that GOAT.

If Dee returns next year with the same infrastructure in place in Phoenix it will make Willie Mays last year look like a humming success.
Yes. It has to work both ways.

I wouldn't want to be a fan of a team that is saddled with an aging star demanding a role that is beyond their abilities.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
DT could still be a nice veteran presence off the bench, in a limited role, for a number of WNBA teams. The problem for any team considering that option, in a league severely restricted by a hard salary cap, is how much can you afford to pay DT for what amounts to a “limited role?” Whatever veteran compensation you have to pay DT, is money you can’t pay to a developing young player or another veteran in their prime.

We all love DT. I hope her playing days are over. On the other hand, I would love to see DT in either a coaching role or perhaps as an announcer. She knows basketball and most certainly has never been reticent to share her opinions.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It is very difficult for some people to retire regardless of their profession. Especially if the profession has defined their lives. D falls in this category, IMO. As I think it does for many athletes
I might phrase it differently. If you're doing something you love, why would you want to stop?

In Diana's case, I think the analysis is going to be "can I continue to play at the standards I hold myself to?" 60% of Diana Tarausi is better than 100% of an awful lot of other players, but I don't think that Is enough for her. I think the decision will come down to whether or not she feels she can compete at her best level, or at least close to it. Now sometimes, hyper-competitive people believe in themselves and their ability to push through obstacles even when that might not seem likely to an outsider. Often, they are right, but not always.

In any event, that's the decision that I think she's struggling with.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If she comes back, maybe she will find herself on Golden State?
That’s an interesting idea. DT could be a boost to attendance and a mentor to young players for an expansion team that’s probably just trying to be respectful in their 1st season.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Well said. I believe every player should make their own decisions bout when they should retire. Caring fans look at a dvancing age as a sure shot omen to oncoming disasters. Perfect example is George Blanda, Played into his 50's.If Diana believes she can still contribute in a meaningful way, Go for it and lead your lifa as you want. If you decide yes, I wish you a fantastic season.The phrase" we have Diana and you don't" is still relevant. GO DIANA!!!!!
I remember George Blanda as the quarterback for the Houston Oilers. The thing that let him play for so long was that he was an excellent place kicker.

Reaction Score
Far more important she retire healthy rather than be forced to by some serious injury.
And as you get older the chance of a serious injury becomes greater. DT had a great run, it's time to find something else to be great at.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom