Diana loved her years at UConn | The Boneyard

Diana loved her years at UConn

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
She wasn’t too crazy about her freshman year, Geno made her cry on live TV, I will never forget seeing that. To her credit she vowed never to have another tournament loss and went on to lead the Huskies to 3 straight National Championships.
If you are talking about the semi-final loss to Notre Dame, my recollection is that D was crying on
her own because of her own disastrous performance on offense. Geno didn't make her cry but was
giving her a little "life lessons" sort of talk by way of consolation and instruction. That's how I
remember it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
There is a video out there of WNBA Diana talking about at Conn she'd watch the clock wind down to practice time and absolutely hate and dread it. Pretty funny. Unfortunately I couldn't find it.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If you are talking about the semi-final loss to Notre Dame, my recollection is that D was crying on
her own because of her own disastrous performance on offense. Geno didn't make her cry but was
giving her a little "life lessons" sort of talk by way of consolation and instruction. That's how I
remember it.
Thats exactly how it happened. I think Geno was trying to console the freshman, letting her know she was one of the reasons they made it that far. As you recall, two All Americans were on the bench with season ending injuries, Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosimova.

Reaction Score
remember it.
I remember it quite the opposite from your recollection. As I recall, she was sitting on the bench and he was standing to her left, there was definitely some back and forth between the two as she was in tears. As I recall, it was like there was a difference of opinion as the tears were flowing. I stand by it, and am not making it up, or embellishing it in any way.

Reaction Score
I remember it quite the opposite from your recollection. As I recall, she was sitting on the bench and he was standing to her left, there was definitely some back and forth between the two as she was in tears. As I recall, it was like there was a difference of opinion as the tears were flowing. I stand by it, and am not making it up, or embellishing it in any way.
I believe you are unique in that recollection.

Reaction Score
Absolutely wrong

Reaction Score
Thats exactly how it happened. I think Geno was trying to console the freshman, letting her know she was one of the reasons they made it that far. As you recall, two All Americans were on the bench with season ending injuries, Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosimova.
Geno is a hardass, but he didn't make DT cry. She went 1 for 15 when the team needed her, anyone would cry.

BTW, that team with Svet, Shea, DT et.al. was the best team, all time, in WCBB. Not just at UConn, everywhere.

Reaction Score
I believe you are unique in that recollection.
What I saw and remember was the following…..she comes out of the game and is sitting on the bench and is in tears, Geno standing to her left says something to her and she looks up at him, I think with a look of disbelief and mouths the word “why” to him.

Reaction Score
Decide for yourselves folks.

After a freshman season of unmitigated success, in which she's played a critical role, her team is in the national semi-final, leading by as much as 15, and 12 at the half. A national championship must have seemed like a given at that point, especially at that age. But then it all unravels, the game and the dream are clearly lost. Possibly for the first time in her life, she's failed across the board. 1 for 15 from the floor, 0 for 11 from three, numbers that would make John Starks proud. She's just fouled out, heads to bench to deal with all of this, while the game concludes without her. And cries.

For me, from memory live, and watching the video linked above, first Abrosimova consoles her (on the top of her head), she sits and is already in tears when coach kneels to console her. The notion that he made her cry, to me, is just the opposite of reality.

Reaction Score
Decide for yourselves folks.

After a freshman season of unmitigated success, in which she's played a critical role, her team is in the national semi-final, leading by as much as 15, and 12 at the half. A national championship must have seemed like a given at that point, especially at that age. But then it all unravels, the game and the dream are clearly lost. Possibly for the first time in her life, she's failed across the board. 1 for 15 from the floor, 0 for 11 from three, numbers that would make John Starks proud. She's just fouled out, heads to bench to deal with all of this, while the game concludes without her. And cries.

For me, from memory live, and watching the video linked above, first Abrosimova consoles her (on the top of her head), she sits and is already in tears when coach kneels to console her. The notion that he made her cry, to me, is just the opposite of reality.
That’s not the game I saw where she got emotional, it was a different game. Might have been the loss to Tennessee, but not sure. I do remember also that it wasn’t very crowded, and actually don’t remember if they won it or lost. Will have to do some research. Might even have been a year later.

Reaction Score
remember it.

That is accurate.

Reaction Score
The things I do for you folks. Thank me later.

You mean by reposting the link with a much larger image than the one I hyperlinked 4 posts above this one? :D

PS The hyperlink above cuts directly to the moment in the video where she fouls out.

Reaction Score
The "made her cry" incident was about Bird and it happened in practice. She was far from the only player that Geno broke down but that is the story that gets retold the most.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You mean by reposting the link with a much larger image than the one I hyperlinked 4 posts above this one? :D

PS The hyperlink above cuts directly to the moment in the video where she fouls out.
Sorry bud didn't read the whole thread. Mine, she walks back to the bench, sits and Geno is right there.

Reaction Score
The post was "Diana loved her years at Uconn" and they only thing people talk about is one instance where she cried and they can't even agree on why.

Reaction Score
The post was "Diana loved her years at Uconn" and they only thing people talk about is one instance where she cried and they can't even agree on why.

She also hated practice as a freshman.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The great part is Taurasi talked about how she loved her years at UConn, but posters here believe she's wrong. This board cracks me up sometimes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom