Diana is First WNBA player to score 9,000 points | The Boneyard

Diana is First WNBA player to score 9,000 points

Reaction Score
If I am not mistaken she needs 90 points in the Olympics to top Lisa Leslie's all time American Scoring record in the Olympics.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Is this a bridge too far for any current or future WNBA player(s)? At 39, Dee is still going strong. She’s alone in the 8,000 career point club. You’ve got to get pass that milestone before you can begin to think about 9,000 points. Dee is in a class by herself. Will she stay there, or have company at some point in the distant future?

I know that records are made to be broken. Some records appear not to be. Records that span high school, college and the professional landscape. Is this one of them? With every basket that Dee scores, she’s putting this record further and further out of reach. I don’t recall her or Sue Bird saying that this will be their final season. I wonder if they have a private side bet on who retires first.

It’s been 80 years since DiMaggio had his 56 game hit streak in 1941. 1941 was also the year that Ted Williams hit .406. BOTH of those records are still standing as tall today as they ever have. Johnny Vander Meer’s back to back no-hitters thrown in June of 1938 has stood even longer. I could suggest that Nolan Ryan’s 7 career no-hitters are also worthy of enshrinement into that wing, but I won’t.

Because of their longevity, these three records are considered by many baseball historians to be “immortal.” Does Dee’s on-going career scoring record have the “air” of immortality?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is this a bridge too far for any current or future WNBA player(s)? At 39, Dee is still going strong. She’s alone in the 8,000 career point club. You’ve got to get pass that milestone before you can begin to think about 9,000 points. Dee is in a class by herself. Will she stay there, or have company at some point in the distant future?

I know that records are made to be broken. Some records appear not to be. Records that span high school, college and the professional landscape. Is this one of them? With every basket that Dee scores, she’s putting this record further and further out of reach. I don’t recall her or Sue Bird saying that this will be their final season. I wonder if they have a private side bet on who retires first.

It’s been 80 years since DiMaggio hit .400 in 1941. That record is still standing as tall today as it ever has. Johnny Vander Meer’s back to back no-hitters thrown in June of 1938 has stood even longer. I could suggest that Nolan Ryan’s 7 career no-hitters are also worthy of enshrinement into that wing, but I won’t.

Because of their longevity, these two records are considered by many baseball historians to be “immortal.” Does Dee’s on-going career scoring record have the “air” of immortality?
Wasn't Ted Williams's .406 season the last .400?

Reaction Score
Breanna may have the chance to break Diana's record. She has 2671 pts for playing 4.5 years in WNBA. But another 14 years is a long long time. Not sure she will play so long.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What is her career per game average?
19.6 ppg.

It's mind-blowing how far out by herself Taurasi is in the WNBA career scoring list:
— #2 all time is Tina Thompson at just under 7500.
— Closest among active players are Candice Dupree (37yo) at 6822, followed by Sue (40) at 6436 and Tina Charles (32) at 6338.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nope, she isn't .... have you forgotten Maya??? Many think she's behind Stewie as well ....
If Maya hadn’t shortened her career she’d be right there with her. Stewie may have a better career but that will take time. At this point in time Diana is the GOAT. I actually think that only Bird has an argument to the contrary since she too has had a great career and has won more championships.

Reaction Score
DT still in her prime. Only a few injuries have slowed her down, but her efficiency & productivity still high.

Reaction Score
DT still in her prime. Only a few injuries have slowed her down, but her efficiency & productivity still high.
39 years old and still in her prime???? What are you smokin'

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tina Charles likely will finish her career in the top few in scoring AND rebounding. Pencil her in for the Naismith HOF!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Breaking down Diana Taurasi’s storied WNBA career by the numbers​

In her first game back after a month on the sideline with a fractured sternum, Diana Taurasi did Diana Taurasi things — like making history.
Early in the second quarter of the Phoenix Mercury’s 88-79 win over the L.A. Sparks on Sunday, Taurasi’s take to the rim and ensuing basket through contact earned her her 9,000th career point, making her the first player in WNBA history to hit that threshold.

In honor of Taurasi’s new milestone, here’s a breakdown of some of the numbers that showcase the unparalleled scoring prowess of the UConn legend:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom