Diana in top form, Maya out of this world! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diana in top form, Maya out of this world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Agree with that analysis - I think MVP is between DT & Maya if things continue as they are. DT if Mercury continue beating the Lynx. What is the evidence of Diggins' "value" if Shock are in last place?

Without passing judgement on Diggins' performance this year, I was going to mention Ted Williams who won the MVP in 1946 and 1949 as proof you could get this type of award on a really bad team, but darn, when I looked up the standings for those two years, Boston won the pennant in '46 and came in 2nd by one game to the Yankees in '49. So I conclude that your point is well taken.

Reaction Score
Without passing judgement on Diggins' performance this year, I was going to mention Ted Williams who won the MVP in 1946 and 1949 as proof you could get this type of award on a really bad team, but darn, when I looked up the standings for those two years, Boston won the pennant in '46 and came in 2nd by one game to the Yankees in '49. So I conclude that your point is well taken.
I'm not sayin' it can't happen. Hey - Shoni is an all-star starter, so who knows? Just sayin' IMO it shouldn't happen, and IMO it won't.

Reaction Score
Stop fabricating a case for Skylar.

She's had an All-WNBA First Team-caliber season, but not an MVP one. At this point in her career, she's a notch below the Taurasis, Parkers and Mayas.
Her college career was also a notch below the Taurasis, Parkers and Mayas. Each of those 3 won multiple NCs. Skylar won zero.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm....Minnesota at Tulsa tonight.
Maya Moore-33 points on 12-21 shooting. 11 rebounds and 3 assists.
Skylar Diggins-21points on 7-17 shooting. 1 rebound and 12 assists.
Very good game by Skylar at home but not living in Maya's universe.

Minnesota wins 91-85 without Augustus or Brunson.

Reaction Score
No question Skylar has had a stellar year, but should not be in consideration for MVP. My opinion, the League MVP not only fills a stat sheet but wills her team to win. Skylar and Tulsa are not quite there yet. It's a good possibility that they won't even make the playoffs. Maya was able to turn a sad Minnesota team into a championship team in her first year. She is very unique in that she makes everyone around her better. Not too many athletes have that impact. Even though Phoenix has the better record, Maya has had to carry a bigger load this year. Diana has been tremendous, but I still think it is Maya's award to lose.
Nice thread and insights, mom, and my post has absolutely nothing to do with that. Just me exorcising an inner demon about qualifying the unqualifiable (if there is such a word): in this case, the word unique. Unique is one of those words like "round" (meaning circular or spherical) that cannot peacefully coexist with a qualifier. Something is either round or it isn't: things can't be "more round" than other things (mathematics can be such a bitch). Oxymoronically speaking, unique means one-of-a-kind (how can "a kind" be involved if there's only one?). Anyway, I don't think something can be "very unique." Sorry for dumping the sins of many at the feet of one, i.e., you. In my defense, I'm probably having a slow day. In conclusion, sounds like things are going great for you and I hope you're able to re-read this with your sense of humor engaged (nothing like a little heavy-handed rebuking to something of absolutely no consequence to bring out the chuckles and murmurs of "Isn't he adorable?").

Reaction Score
Nice thread and insights, mom, and my post has absolutely nothing to do with that. Just me exorcising an inner demon about qualifying the unqualifiable (if there is such a word): in this case, the word unique. Unique is one of those words like "round" (meaning circular or spherical) that cannot peacefully coexist with a qualifier. Something is either round or it isn't: things can't be "more round" than other things (mathematics can be such a bitch). Oxymoronically speaking, unique means one-of-a-kind (how can "a kind" be involved if there's only one?). Anyway, I don't think something can be "very unique." Sorry for dumping the sins of many at the feet of one, i.e., you. In my defense, I'm probably having a slow day. In conclusion, sounds like things are going great for you and I hope you're able to re-read this with your sense of humor engaged (nothing like a little heavy-handed rebuking to something of absolutely no consequence to bring out the chuckles and murmurs of "Isn't he adorable?").
Lol! I may never use that word again. I found your explanation quite enlightening! Another reason to love The Boneyard! :)

cabbie191

Reaction Score

Like Ctmom, I also like this kind of a response as why the Boneyard is so much fun to read and participate in. And as one who comes from a family of language professors and who writes for a paycheck, I also try to be very precise with words.

So, I feel duty bound to point out that unique has an additional meaning that diminishes the sense of one-of-a-kind, and that is that something is not typical. Thus, you can say someone's dress habits are very unique to mean that they are further from the norm then other persons, though they might not be truly one-of-a-kind.

Similarly, there is round as a mathematical principle, and round as a general descriptor. Compare a baseball and a ping pong ball. You would certainly call a baseball round, even though it isn't quite truly that due to the stitching, because it is more round than it is square. The ping pong, without the stitching, thus becomes more round. :)

Reaction Score
Like Ctmom, I also like this kind of a response as why the Boneyard is so much fun to read and participate in. And as one who comes from a family of language professors and who writes for a paycheck, I also try to be very precise with words.

So, I feel duty bound to point out that unique has an additional meaning that diminishes the sense of one-of-a-kind, and that is that something is not typical. Thus, you can say someone's dress habits are very unique to mean that they are further from the norm then other persons, though they might not be truly one-of-a-kind.

Similarly, there is round as a mathematical principle, and round as a general descriptor. Compare a baseball and a ping pong ball. You would certainly call a baseball round, even though it isn't quite truly that due to the stitching, because it is more round than it is square. The ping pong, without the stitching, thus becomes more round. :)
You are probably much more precise in the use of language than I. Obviously (or maybe not), I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek to a degree, and tried to inject definitions of both "round" and "unique" to avoid confusion with other common uses of the terms. Outside the purely mental world of mathematics I doubt anything is actually round. Neither would it surprise me to discover that everything is really unique which, in a way, renders the word useless. Maybe ctmom04 is a trailblazer in eschewing its continued use.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
You are probably much more precise in the use of language than I. Obviously (or maybe not), I was trying to be tongue-in-cheek to a degree, and tried to inject definitions of both "round" and "unique" to avoid confusion with other common uses of the terms. Outside the purely mental world of mathematics I doubt anything is actually round. Neither would it surprise me to discover that everything is really unique which, in a way, renders the word useless. Maybe ctmom04 is a trailblazer in eschewing its continued use.

And interestingly, it may also be equally true that nothing is really unique. In both situations, your point is well made and I totally agree with you. And yes, it was clear to me that you were tongue-in-cheek.

Reaction Score
And interestingly, it may also be equally true that nothing is really unique. In both situations, your point is well made and I totally agree with you. And yes, it was clear to me that you were tongue-in-cheek.
How can I not "Like" a post that totally agrees with me?!?!!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hmmmm....Minnesota at Tulsa tonight.
Maya Moore-33 points on 12-21 shooting. 11 rebounds and 3 assists.
Skylar Diggins-21points on 7-17 shooting. 1 rebound and 12 assists.
Very good game by Skylar at home but not living in Maya's universe.

Minnesota wins 91-85 without Augustus or Brunson.

Maya ws directly involved in 39 points being scored, Skylar was direclty involved in 45 points being scored. Maya scored more points but Skylar had more impact on offense.

I wouldn't expect Maya to have as many assists or Skylar to have as many rebounds.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Last year the argument was that Maya should have won the award because she was the best player on the best team. Obviously it didn't work out that way since Parker got the award. It is not always the best player on the best team. If the Lynx can start beating Phoenix in the second half of the season, IMO Maya wins the award, even if they finish second in the west. If Phoenix continues to dominate the Lynx, the award goes to Diana. That won't be as easy since Augustus and Brunson should be returning right after the All Star game.

Well, I just said that she gets my vote, which last time I checked didn't really cout for much in the MVP balloting.

Although I think Maya is a tremendous player, I do not think she has the same impact on her teammates that DT does. DT is a coach on the court and brings out the best of her teammates. Maya seems to have the freedom to just focus on her game and doesn't really seem to be the same type of team leader on the court. DT brings all of the intangibles that I look for in an MVP.

Reaction Score
Maya ws directly involved in 39 points being scored, Skylar was directly involved in 45 points being scored. Maya scored more points but Skylar had more impact on offense.

I wouldn't expect Maya to have as many assists or Skylar to have as many rebounds.
Bingo. I had the same thought. They play different positions, so comparing their stat lines is interesting, but not a valid way to compare. (That said, I would still like to see the beat-down Maya puts on Sky in a one-on-one matchup.)

Reaction Score
Mark my words- if Tulsa gets to the playoffs Skylar will win the MVP.

However...if LA gets there Candace will win it two years in a row...

Reaction Score
If wishes were horses.... Shock are 9 games out at 7-13 (.350). In the WNBA most teams get in the playoffs, several with sub-.500 records. It's actually hard NOT to get into the playoffs, but Tulsa is on that track. And they've lost their last 3 in a row, so they really need to turn things around soon. They might. Regardless, Skylar is not MVP.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Mark my words- if Tulsa gets to the playoffs Skylar will win the MVP.

However...if LA gets there Candace will win it two years in a row...

I don't think Candace wins for just getting to the playoffs. If LA is the last team in, then the award will go to either DT or Moore. I actually think it will be DT or Moore regardless of which other teams make it. IMO, DT should win, but Maya really stepped up in the absence of some starters.

Reaction Score
Here is a look at some of the major statistical categories up to this point.
Points Rebounds. Assists. Blocks. Steals. Efficiency

Maya 1 10 18 15 6 1
Diana 5 36 2 50 44 7
Candace 4 14 6 4 5 2
Skylar 2 Out of 4 27 13 12
Top 50
Maya is ranked 1 for points AND efficiency. She is also in the top 20 in all major categories.
Diana is solid across the board. She ranks 5 in ppg and 2 in assists.
Candace again having a great year. Ranked 4 in points and ranked 2 in efficiency. She also is in the top 20 in every category.
Skylar ranks 2 in points and 4 in assists. She is the only one to be out of the top 50 in a major cat. (Rebounds).

Reaction Score
I don't think Candace wins for just getting to the playoffs. If LA is the last team in, then the award will go to either DT or Moore. I actually think it will be DT or Moore regardless of which other teams make it. IMO, DT should win, but Maya really stepped up in the absence of some starters.
Good point about Maya stepping up in the absence of other key players - the "Kevin Durant" factor. Still think DT is bringing an overdose of that intangible "it" factor (leadership?) this year, but there's no stat for that. Except wins.

Reaction Score
I think being in first place in the west this year will be a disadvantage. If rankings stay the same, Phoenix will have to go through L.A. and then Minnesota to get to the finals. Minnesota will face San Antonio and the winner of L.A./Phoenix. I don't believe the Spark's record is indicative of just how dangerous they could be.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I suspect that LA will pull it together at some point and end up in the 3rd position. But if they don't, then they are truly the 4th best team. Phoenix did lose to SA at home and has not lost to LA.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Here is a look at some of the major statistical categories up to this point.
Points Rebounds. Assists. Blocks. Steals. Efficiency

Maya 1 10 18 15 6 1
Diana 5 36 2 50 44 7
Candace 4 14 6 4 5 2
Skylar 2 Out of 4 27 13 12
Top 50
Maya is ranked 1 for points AND efficiency. She is also in the top 20 in all major categories.
Diana is solid across the board. She ranks 5 in ppg and 2 in assists.
Candace again having a great year. Ranked 4 in points and ranked 2 in efficiency. She also is in the top 20 in every category.
Skylar ranks 2 in points and 4 in assists. She is the only one to be out of the top 50 in a major cat. (Rebounds).

It is hard to use "per game" stats when Maya plays about 4 more minutes a game than DT.

I would not argue against either winning. They are both bringing what their teams need.

Reaction Score
It is hard to use "per game" stats when Maya plays about 4 more minutes a game than DT.

I would not argue against either winning. They are both bringing what their teams need.
That is why I included efficiency rating. Even though she can score more points in 4 mpg, she can also turn the ball over more or miss shots taken. Take note that Maya is ranked #1 in efficiency.

As far as LA, they always come on stronger the second half of the year and they keep games close. They have the talent to beat either Minnesota or Phoenix. I would much rather face SA if I had the choice.

I also agree that I would be happy with either one winning. Both would be deserving.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That is why I included efficiency rating. Even though she can score more points in 4 mpg, she can also turn the ball over more or miss shots taken. Take note that Maya is ranked #1 in efficiency.

As far as LA, they always come on stronger the second half of the year and they keep games close. They have the talent to beat either Minnesota or Phoenix. I would much rather face SA if I had the choice.

I also agree that I would be happy with either one winning. Both would be deserving.

Intangibles cannot be tracked via a statistic. IMO, DT does more to bring the rest of her team to high levels than does Maya. Maya is not in the same leadership role as DT, as that role is primarily filled by the PG, which would be Whalen for Minny.

Maya and DT are both directly invoved in approximately 30 ppg (points and assist combined), so on offense, it is a wash. They are both sooooo damn good.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Based on efficiency, the top three performers in the league are Maya, Parker and Griner. And Griner should win that three person race because she has the highest rating per 40 minutes of the three. Griner would win the MVP award based on per 40 minutes as it would be hard to give the award to Catchings, who leads the league in per 40 minutes, based on games played.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog