Diana drops a masterpiece: 37 points, 8-11 from 3 | The Boneyard

Diana drops a masterpiece: 37 points, 8-11 from 3

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't think of her as "over the hill" in the normal sense - as she has shown many times - she can still contribute. Sometimes spectacularly. I said something along these lines as relating to her being on the Olympic team - she was absolutely going to contribute.

What I do think is she has become injury prone, as often happens to players late in their careers. I don't see any compelling reason that she "should" retire, but at the same time I think it is time for her to consider it.

Sue Bird on the other hand is the WBB equivalent of Tom Brady, performance wise.

Reaction Score
Ankle permitting, there could be a third UConn WBB grad with four WNBA rings.....I certainly hope DT's ankle manages the grind if it has to go 8 more games. Would love to see it: Maya, Sue and Diana.

Reaction Score
When D showed up in the first game of the LV series and gutted out a performance that anticipated her explosion last night one of her teammates referred to her as Willis Reed

Of course the younger players on the team had no idea. In both of these games D has demonstrated the resilience and toughness there are a key part of her legacy.

It is true that in recent years injuries have caught up with the GOAT Sandy Brondello said that when healthy D can still compete at the highest level.

Last night was a thing of beauty. In the past 10 days we've have the opportunity to see D and Sue's jersey exchange and then the effort in the first two games of the semis. These moments epitomize sport.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is well known how much Kelsey Plum "worshipped" Diana Taurasi

but I saw a quick skit during the game last night where they were interviewing Plum on the sidelines? and she was saying how when playing DT, she is expecting every trick in the book like a shot to the chest etc all while grinning ear to ear. This was before DT balled out. Cant seem to find it online. Maybe some one else?

Reaction Score
I don't think of her as "over the hill" in the normal sense - as she has shown many times - she can still contribute. Sometimes spectacularly. I said something along these lines as relating to her being on the Olympic team - she was absolutely going to contribute.

What I do think is she has become injury prone, as often happens to players late in their careers. I don't see any compelling reason that she "should" retire, but at the same time I think it is time for her to consider it.

Sue Bird on the other hand is the WBB equivalent of Tom Brady, performance wise.
There's something heroic as D struggles against father time. While Sue has faced her share of physical challenges and injuries these past years of watching D fight to get on the court are both poignant and inspiring.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It is well known how much Kelsey Plum "worshipped" Diana Taurasi

but I saw a quick skit during the game last night where they were interviewing Plum on the sidelines? and she was saying how when playing DT, she is expecting every trick in the book like a shot to the chest etc all while grinning ear to ear. This was before DT balled out. Cant seem to find it online. Maybe some one else?
There was a segment late in the game. Taurasi wasn't on the floor. Somebody was shooting FTs. Plum was standing near the Phoenix bench and the 2 were having a bit of a conversation. They were both grinning. No idea what was said, but they seemed to be enjoying the exchange. Maybe D was pointing out how many of her 37 points she scored on Plum.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This goes out to all the people who were calling her over the hill:

There have been times when she looked like she was over the hill. Probably because of injuries but still she did not look good. She showed last night that she still has a lot left.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

For all time players, Dee is the GOAT, and frankly it's not close. Not sure if they are hyping other players to make it more interesting, or NOT seem inevitable, but just like Sue is far and away the best PG of all time, so is Dee for all players.

The announcers touched on it last night with a comment I believe from Brondello - the thing that makes Dee so great isn't just her production, it's her as a teammate. How much better she makes players around her. How she lifts her teammates even when she's on the bench. Sure she can have a 'tude on the court, but there is no better teammate than Dee.

This isn't to say there aren't incredible players across the age spectrum who have played (and are playing) in the WNBA. It's a more lively discussion of who should be in the top 5 or top 10. But GOAT? 100% Diana Taurasi...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There have been times when she looked like she was over the hill. Probably because of injuries but still she did not look good. She showed last night that she still has a lot left.
In fairness, I'm betting every single player in the W has had games where they looked "over the hill". Horrible shooting nights, lack of energy, poor defense, bad passes, you name it.

But it seems (not directed at you) that sometimes people are "harder" on Dee because she's almost 40.

"Player X blew by Dee - she can't defend any more".
"Dee had numerous turnovers. She can't pass any more".
"Dee went 0-fer on 3's. She can't shoot any more".
"She's not good enough for Team USA. Give her spot to someone younger"

As for injury prone, is it possible to say Stewie is more injury prone than Dee at this point? And this is NOT a criticism of Stewie - a year ago, her Achilles injury. This year she missed games twice due to injuries, and once to take personal time. My point is, do people want to attach the "injury prone" tag to Dee perhaps because it's late in her career?

Yet she was on the floor for the 1-game playoff vs. Seattle playing with a bum ankle and helped lead her team to the win. Where was Stewie? Now, Dee's ankle probably isn't 100%, but she goes out and drops a cool 37 in an epic performance in a playoff game. Side note - i'm not criticizing Stewie. Just trying to make a point...

It's not like Dee hurt herself in a non-basketball related situation, or tweaked her knee or something driving to the basket. She took a shot and came down on a defender's foot. It happens a lot in the league - one of the main reasons why it's now a foul to get too close and get your foot under the shooter - to prevent these kind of injuries... IMHO that's not an "over the hill" or "injury prone" situation...

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
The announcers touched on it last night with a comment I believe from Brondello - the thing that makes Dee so great isn't just her production, it's her as a teammate. How much better she makes players around her. How she lifts her teammates even when she's on the bench. Sure she can have a 'tude on the court, but there is no better teammate than Dee.

This isn't to say there aren't incredible players across the age spectrum who have played (and are playing) in the WNBA. ... But GOAT? 100% Diana Taurasi...
that's it!

BTW. have they (whoever 'they' are) announced who was determined the goat among the 25th contenders, if so, who'd they pick, if not, when are they gonna?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom