diamond deshields | Page 2 | The Boneyard

diamond deshields

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Diamond's athleticism sounds like a combination of Maya Moore, Marion Jones, and Dominique Wilkins. At this point, she is probably the most athletic in her class--perhaps any class--but is not necessarily the best basketball player. Geno will not let her get by on pure athleticism. If she can be the smartest player on the court in addition to the most skilled, the sky is really the limit for her. The UConn kids will be good influences for Diamond.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I love the kid, her athleticism and her confidence. I thought her comments were benign when taken in context (just after a workout - adrenaline still pumping - doing a promotional video).

The fact that she wants to be great and remembered as such, is totally positive IMHO. Diamond has been studying and considering UConn for quite some time and knows precisely the kind of program Geno runs. I have every confidence she'd fit in beautifully as another integral piece of the Master's mosaic.

BTW...loved her step-back jumper! :)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
::::::lost in a daydream again:::::

Stef holding down the post with guile, leadership and strength
BStewart wreaking unspeakable havoc on the opponent from the 4
Diamond springing/slashing/shooting from the 3, facing no double-teams (would be nice for a change)
KML at the 2, raining threes, midrange floaters, putbacks, and firing entry passes
Moriah a ball of white-hot energy at the point, manning the perimiter with KML

:::::waking up now::::::

:D

p.s. no I didn't forget our other current players - this is just one lineup I'm dreaming of seeing

Reaction Score
My opinion of Diamond has not changed from day one. I want this young lady to play for UCONN. I have not seen very many players at her skill level. She is going to be a superstar whereever she goes. It is much better to have Dimond playing with UCONN then against them.

Reaction Score
If winning championships is the deciding factor for Diamond, then she and everyone else in the country knows who is going to be winning the national championships the next few years- with or without her.

That is just the hard fact. We are going to have to prepare ourselves for all the whining that there is no parity in women's basketball.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Diamond did appear focused on herself, rather than team results--her team is now only 3-2. But she is setting the bar high for herself, and she is working hard. She may need Geno as much as he needs her.

I remember when Kelsey Bone was a senior and her team beat Griner's team. Bone later said before a playoff game something to the effect of "I beat her last time so I think I can beat her again." It just struck me odd that she kind of took credit for the win herself. Does that kind of mentality change? If anyone can break down a player and then build them back up, it is Geno.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
::::::lost in a daydream again:::::

Stef holding down the post with guile, leadership and strength
BStewart wreaking unspeakable havoc on the opponent from the 4
Diamond springing/slashing/shooting from the 3, facing no double-teams (would be nice for a change)
KML at the 2, raining threes, midrange floaters, putbacks, and firing entry passes
Moriah a ball of white-hot energy at the point, manning the perimiter with KML

:::::waking up now::::::

:D

p.s. no I didn't forget our other current players - this is just one lineup I'm dreaming of seeing
That lineup would very possibly be the best to ever play in WCBB. If Moriah, Breanna and Diamond are as good as most of us think they are, I don't see any way even the best teams in recent years (including the sick Renee/Tina/Maya Uconn team) could stay close to them. And the bench, with Tuck, Kiah, Brianna and others would be tough as well.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Bria Hartley will see significant minutes on that team.
Absolutely, I knew I was forgetting someone. Bria will be a starter for the rest of her career IMO, which probably means Moriah comes off the bench for two years.

Uconn's "bench" of Moriah, Brianna, Morgan and either MJ or whoever Geno gets to replace Stef out of the 2013 class would be the #2 team in the country, probably.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Absolutely, I knew I was forgetting someone. Bria will be a starter for the rest of her career IMO, which probably means Moriah comes off the bench for two years.

Uconn's "bench" of Moriah, Brianna, Morgan and either MJ or whoever Geno gets to replace Stef out of the 2013 class would be the #2 team in the country, probably.
Stokes, my man! And Turner in the class of 2014.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That lineup would very possibly be the best to ever play in WCBB. If Moriah, Breanna and Diamond are as good as most of us think they are, I don't see any way even the best teams in recent years (including the sick Renee/Tina/Maya Uconn team) could stay close to them. And the bench, with Tuck, Kiah, Brianna and others would be tough as well.

Gosh, I cannot say that there will ever be a better lineup than what I saw with Taurasi, Bird, Cash, Williams and Jones. That was some kind of team!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Gosh, I cannot say that there will ever be a better lineup than what I saw with Taurasi, Bird, Cash, Williams and Jones. That was some kind of team!
Indeed it was, and how good it was has been magnified by the professional success enjoyed by those women.

In terms of just how good those girls were at the end of the day, I think that's the best starting lineup until someone proves otherwise.

However, the 2014 team could easily end up with more honors. The 2002 team had the distinction of all five startes being first, second, third, or honorable mention AAs. I could see the 2014 lineup exceeding that. With Griner gone, Stef will very likely be a first or second-team AA as a senior. Breanna Stewart, if she lives up to her hype, could be a first or second teamer as well by her sophomore year. Same for KML by her junior year, and for Bria as a senior. The only major question mark in my mind is whether Moriah will have fully arrived as a soph enough to earn AA distinction. So in terms of individual awards, that starting five definitely could meet or exceed the 2002 haul.

The final point is that the 2002 team didn't play with much of a bench. Part of why the 2003 team was projected to be outside of the top 10 by many was because, outside of D, everyone else was a relatively unknown quantity. Meanwhile, if my projection of the starting five is accurate, the 2014 team will have Banks, Kiah, Tuck, Johnson, and Engeln PLUS the possibility of some terrific freshmen. So bench n 2014 would blow 2002's out of the water. Exciting to think about,to be sure, but the 2002 team is in the books and have their place in history firmly established.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Indeed it was, and how good it was has been magnified by the professional success enjoyed by those women.

In terms of just how good those girls were at the end of the day, I think that's the best starting lineup until someone proves otherwise.

However, the 2014 team could easily end up with more honors. The 2002 team had the distinction of all five startes being first, second, third, or honorable mention AAs. I could see the 2014 lineup exceeding that. With Griner gone, Stef will very likely be a first or second-team AA as a senior. Breanna Stewart, if she lives up to her hype, could be a first or second teamer as well by her sophomore year. Same for KML by her junior year, and for Bria as a senior. The only major question mark in my mind is whether Moriah will have fully arrived as a soph enough to earn AA distinction. So in terms of individual awards, that starting five definitely could meet or exceed the 2002 haul.

The final point is that the 2002 team didn't play with much of a bench. Part of why the 2003 team was projected to be outside of the top 10 by many was because, outside of D, everyone else was a relatively unknown quantity. Meanwhile, if my projection of the starting five is accurate, the 2014 team will have Banks, Kiah, Tuck, Johnson, and Engeln PLUS the possibility of some terrific freshmen. So bench n 2014 would blow 2002's out of the water. Exciting to think about,to be sure, but the 2002 team is in the books and have their place in history firmly established.
I get confused too, but I think that Stef and Bria are seniors in 2013. You're off by a year.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I get confused too, but I think that Stef and Bria are seniors in 2013. You're off by a year.
Their first year was 2010-11, they're sophs in 2011-12, juniors in 2012-13, and seniors in 2013-14. It was the 2013-14 team I was describing.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Their first year was 2010-11, they're sophs in 2011-12, juniors in 2012-13, and seniors in 2013-14. It was the 2013-14 team I was describing.
That's where the confusion comes in. When I remember, I usually write both the starting and ending year, as you did above.

Reaction Score
A lot of fans are penciling in Diamond to Uconn but it may be a little early to do that. I am guessing she comes to UConn but other schools are in there too! She visited Tennessee twice in the past few months but we have yet to see how Pat's health will affect recruiting for future classes. She has visited Maryland in the past few months. She has visited UNC who got the new assistant coach from Duke who she liked a lot and because of that Duke might be more of a longshot. All 4 schools and maybe more are in the hunt but when next year comes around Uconn could be considered the favorite.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We may have the best bench ever.

Comparing 2002 v. 2014:

Sue v. Bria
Diana v. Kaleena
Swin v. Breanna
Asjha v. Morgan
Tamika v. Stefanie

That is actually fairly close. Then add Kiah, Brianna, and say Diamond and Taya. Cripes!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
We may have the best bench ever.

Comparing 2002 v. 2014:

Sue v. Bria
Diana v. Kaleena
Swin v. Breanna
Asjha v. Morgan
Tamika v. Stefanie

That is actually fairly close. Then add Kiah, Brianna, and say Diamond and Taya. Cripes!

Don't forget Mo!!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The Boneyard is truly an amazing place. This uncommitted underclass-girl has drawn comparisons with Diana and Maya, is penciled into lineup cards years from now, is projected to win several NC's, and has worn out the "!" key on several Boneyarders' keyboards.

She must be pretty good.

Correction: She must be pretty good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Right but I said "recent". That lineup for UConn played 10 years ago.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Stokes, my man! And Turner in the class of 2014.
Of course! So many good players it's easy to forget one. Have not heard anything about UConn and Turner, have you?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think the playing field is more leveled these days than it was between '98-'02

Reaction Score
in what way?

What I think DC is trying to say is that the days of UCONN and Tennessee getting all the elite players is over. Baylor, Texas A&M, Duke, Notre Dame, Stanford, Rutgers, Maryland, North Carolina and others now get their fair share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom