Diamond DeShields | The Boneyard

Diamond DeShields

Status
Not open for further replies.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
How she does will determine where she is picked in the draft.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
nan linds: I don't think this is considered off-topic. If it pertains to women's basketball, I think it's fair game.

Mods, can you enlighten, please? @JS, @Biff, @HuskyNan

Reaction Score
The people whose posts were deleted - stop. Try to find some class.
+1
don't know what they wrote, but there's not enough good that DD can ever do to earn the respect of some folks. It's sad that she's such a lightening rod, considering that she's the one who really has suffered from some inopportune decisions. She has charisma and a significant amount of talent. In her last year at Tenn she showed some signs of being a more thoughtful team player, and perhaps she can continue to develop that way.

Reaction Score
She's doing quite well over in Turkey, it appears. She recently had a game with 38 points, 10 assists, 8 steals, 4 rebounds and 2 blocks. She plays on the team with Indiana Fever Erlana Larkins.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
International play has a way of maturing a player. I think she will enter the WNBA very hungry and will excel within 2 years.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the video: good elevation and form on her jumper
developing Maya-esque side to side moves to get clear prior to elevating.
Certainly a talent

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In the video: good elevation and form on her jumper
developing Maya-esque side to side moves to get clear prior to elevating.
Certainly a talent
She's always had great elevation on her jumper. Her problem has been, to me, jumping at different heights which changes her release point, making that jumper inconsistent. Some days she's going to look all world, some days she's going to look just awful. Combine that with her average passing skills and you have a player that I think may be a distraction in the locker room. I think some will always be enamored by her potential and others continually frustrated by her inadequacies.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone ever doubted her world class talent. What she needed was a coach who will challenge her and hold her accountable and instead she chose the path of least resistance which didn't help her growth. She was the same player entering college as leaving it with no AA or final 4's to her name. It is amazing to see how much better TN is without her this season....I do hope that playing in Turkey will help her to become more mature as she's got the potential to be an exciting player for years to come

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone ever doubted her world class talent. What she needed was a coach who will challenge her and hold her accountable and instead she chose the path of least resistance which didn't help her growth. She was the same player entering college as leaving it with no AA or final 4's to her name. It is amazing to see how much better TN is without her this season....I do hope that playing in Turkey will help her to become more mature as she's got the potential to be an exciting player for years to come

The path of least resistance??? If that were the case, she would never have went to TN. She left UNC partially due to the fact she wanted better / tougher coaching. Her stats from last year showed the improvement in her game. It was her first year to have a positive assist to turnover ration.

FG% went from 39% to 42% as a result of taking better shots and playing better within the team
3 pt % went from 25% to 33%
Assist : Turnovers - 82 assists to 115 turnovers improved to a positive 110: 103 (2nd on the team in assists - pg was first, with no one else close)

She had already become more mature. It's strange to me that those not in the locker room eagerly point to Diamond as the chemistry issue that kept the team from succeeding, when the staff was pleased with how she was maturing as a player / person. Chemistry issues are never one-sided (it takes 2 to tangle) and there was plenty personality problems to go around, including some that are still there, but have since matured themselves.

Issues last season were more than just chemistry related. Cooper didn't play (injury) and that really hurt TN at the point guard spot, where Jordan ran the point, but wasn't much of a scorer or penetrator and was recruited to be an off guard that could help at the point, not run the point exclusively. Alexa Middleton never became a consistent guard and it seemed she never truly adjusted to the speed / athleticism required to be an elite guard. She too was recruited as an off guard that could help at point, but not be the point guard. Alot of injuries left the team with 7 players for the season, which is a recipe for disaster. There's a big difference in selecting your best 7 or 8 to play than it is to have only 7 to choose from with 1 of those players being a 1 year transfer that had never played in a P5 conference.

Also, the leg injury was not going to allow her to lead any team to glory until she could heal and become close to what she once was. In her 2 years on the court at TN, in only her last season was she close to being 100%. Her current status shows that she has gotten better physically since 2016/17

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
FG% went from 39% to 42% as a result of taking better shots and playing better within the team
3 pt % went from 25% to 33%
Assist : Turnovers - 82 assists to 115 turnovers improved to a positive 110: 103 (2nd on the team in assists - pg was first, with no one else close)

She's shooting 50% from the field this year - a big improvement.
Still only hitting 30% of her 3's - an area she'll need to work on.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Just peripherally related to this topic: On the UT-UK broadcast the other day, the announcers were discussing why Tennessee offense flows so much better this year. One had asked Jamie Nared, who responded (not a direct quote, from memory): "We just want to score, nobody cares who scores."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've got a question for everyone that reads this comment. Where do you think Diamond DeShields will go in the draft? We all know she's going in the first round, but where? What team would be best suited for her? She's adjusted to the professional aspects of the game, the speed and physicality, not to mention the language and cultural differences overseas. She's also matured an additional year. She 's had time to work strictly on her craft with her teammates and coaches. She'll be 23 (Born March 5, 1995) at the time of the draft in April. Thoughts...... :rolleyes:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I don't understand all the focus on Diamond. Is it because she is a phenomenal athlete that grew up in a wealthy home and then rejected UCONN? Yes she is immature at times. So was I and I don't doubt so were a couple of others. Wish her well and let her go. I will not be surprised if in a few years she becomes a wonderful person.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I don't understand all the focus on Diamond. Is it because she is a phenomenal athlete that grew up in a wealthy home and then rejected UCONN? Yes she is immature at times. So was I and I don't doubt so were a couple of others. Wish her well and let her go. I will not be surprised if in a few years she becomes a wonderful person.
She may very well already be a wonderful person.

The people here need to STOP TRASHING THIS YOUNG WOMAN. The Boneyard sounds more like a middle school than a a forum for intelligent discussion of basketball. Stop on your own or we will need to take action to make you stop. Here is a link to the rules; we have a rule forbidding the trashing of players and you don't get to ignore it because you don't like her or her team.

Boneyard Rules & Links to lessons on using the Boneyard

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She may very well already be a wonderful person.

The people here need to STOP TRASHING THIS YOUNG WOMAN. The Boneyard sounds more like a middle school than a a forum for intelligent discussion of basketball. Stop on your own or we will need to take action to make you stop. Here is a link to the rules; we have a rule forbidding the trashing of players and you don't get to ignore it because you don't like her or her team.

Boneyard Rules & Links to lessons on using the Boneyard
Nan, I have no intention of trashing the lady or anyone. If my post sounded that way. I apologize

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nan, I have no intention of trashing the lady or anyone. If my post sounded that way. I apologize
I wasn't speaking directly to you but to the people whose posts have been deleted. I quote a person if I'm speaking specifically to them.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People seem to be unable to control themselves and are persisting with the school yard crap, so I'm locking the thread. My apologies to the OP.

By the way, posting random thoughts liberally sprinkled with derogatory statements aren't facts. That makes it harmful speculation and another violation of board rules. Deliberately breaking the rules will get you a time out, then a ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom