Diaco Weekly Press Conference (SMU) Tidbits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diaco Weekly Press Conference (SMU) Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You just are unable to see the big picture.

I've grown tired of and irritable while explaining it. Luckily for my family, I have a 40 minute drive to decompress.:rolleyes:

I was going to write almost exactly what Whaler just did.

I absolutely see the big picture. I just get annoyed at Coach Diaco's explanations. We got blown out because we played terrible. Committing penalties is part of being terrible.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure, because that presumes others are coming in w/Tyler (some are backdated) and there's been no evidence of that. Then again, maybe he is looking at a 5th year transfer or a juco.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure, because that presumes others are coming in w/Tyler (some are backdated) and there's been no evidence of that. Then again, maybe he is looking at a 5th year transfer or a juco.

I'm confident you will see as full of a class as they can legitimately pull off.

Reaction Score
I'm confident you will see as full of a class as they can legitimately pull off.

Who was that crazy person in the offseason writing about recruitin? You know - the one who said that we had a simple numbers game problem with regards to actual yearly NLI recruiting cycles? The guy that wrote that it goes back to the 2008-2009 cycle? That the TE's, DB's, RB's, QB's, and most of all the OL, were under-recruited? That we needed a HUGE class in February 2011, JUST to catch up? That because we didnt get that 2011 class, we've been playing catch-up ever since? Playing football with essentially the roster equivalent of a 1-AA program with regards to actual NLI recruiting cycles? The same guy that said if Diaco was on the ball and knew what he was doing with recruiting, we would have a class of approximately 30 players, just to get caught up?

The only thing that concerns me about Diaco, is his ability to actually head coach a team to wins. Everything else I can observe, there is very little negative critique that is valid. I think we had a few games that were winnable this year, and unfortunately, of all things that matter to be concerned about, winning games, is a big one.

Nothing to do but watch them play the next game, and then wait for next season. I'll be in basement where it is safe, comfortable, and warm.

Reaction Score
UConn was going to win scoring 10 points?? Sure, UConn committed 10 penalites for 115 yards - It aint the penalties.
perfect example of people putting a negative slant on everything... The actual tweet was "SCORE NOT INDICATIVE OF HOW GAME WENT"...
I don't read that to suggest the penalties cost uconn a win. I take that as there were a lot of penalties which helped memphis sustain some drives and ultimately put points on the board.

Reaction Score
I was going to write almost exactly what Whaler just did.

I absolutely see the big picture. I just get annoyed at Coach Diaco's explanations. We got blown out because we played terrible. Committing penalties is part of being terrible.
i think you and too many people on this board get 'too annoyed' by Diaco's comments. if you are looking at the big picture, you're not breaking down the outcome of every play and comparing that to how Diaco should have coached. And you're not parsing every comment for some underlying meaning or lack there of.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
perfect example of people putting a negative slant on everything... The actual tweet was "SCORE NOT INDICATIVE OF HOW GAME WENT"...
I don't read that to suggest the penalties cost uconn a win. I take that as there were a lot of penalties which helped memphis sustain some drives and ultimately put points on the board.

First Half; 11 UConn Penalties - 13 Memphis Points
Second Half: 3 UConn Penalties - 28 Memphis Points

Do you not see why someone might disagree with penalties obscuring the final score?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
i think you and too many people on this board get 'too annoyed' by Diaco's comments. if you are looking at the big picture, you're not breaking down the outcome of every play and comparing that to how Diaco should have coached. And you're not parsing every comment for some underlying meaning or lack there of.

As if somehow how the little things don't add up to the big picture. Which is Diaco's entire premise in case you've missed it.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Penalties are A thing, if not THE thing, but it's something that should be correctable regardless of talent level. Obviously, our biggest problem all year has been the inability to sustain enough offense to protect our defense. That being said though, penalties have an effect that is magnified by context. Memphis could have had 10 for a 100 in the 4th qtr and it wouldn't have hurt them. When we get 40 yard runs called back or commit defensive penalties for 1st downs on 3rd and long with the game still competitive, we're killing ourselves -- it's too much to overcome. It's something bad teams do. As a friend of mine likes to say, "it's hard to block or defend a pass with both hands wrapped around your neck."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom